WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thru-hiker Initiation

Are there any initiations that take place each year for new hikers:Say a new hiker has removed a green piece of wood from the woods and burns it,are they then given a sleeping bag party complete with socks and bar soap?Or perhaps at springer they exclaim this is my first hike,"I can't wait"and in the mourning,are told you have to clean my"oatmeal pot"it's what all newbies have done for decades!(this post was prepared w/the help of spell check)

I hope that any hikers acting like this would quickly find themselves where they belong: alone on the trail or at home.
    There is no excuse for this sort of "initiation" on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post
    I hope that any hikers acting like this would quickly find themselves where they belong: alone on the trail or at home.
    Oh fiddle faddleyour way over think it(whos your daddy whos your daddy)

You gotta fetch water, you gotta buy the beer, clean the privy, the list is endless.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Ok,k...good ones!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Oh fiddle faddleyour way over think it(whos your daddy whos your daddy)
    dude ain't got no sense of freakin' humor

While working at a machine shop,in the early 80's I was told,"New Guy Buys The Pie"so when pay day came,I bought a few pies.The owner kicked in too.I did not have to do this,but would not have attained the hero status.It's all good.

Are you asking if experienced hikers haze new hikers?

No not exactly,It can be much more incedeus,say;putting a big rock in a pack or cutting a spoon handle.

Like telling cub scouts to borrow an umbilical cord from the next troop over.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Like telling cub scouts to borrow an umbilical cord from the next troop over.
    That's the one,you got it.

You must rub my feet, every night. Don't even care if you're a dude. It must be done! DO IT NOW!!
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

And wash my socks....please

While tending a small a camp fire in a light rain, someone comes over and asks "Where can we find some dry wood?" You answer "What, you didn't bring any with you?"
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I worked in a finish mill for a while. When I was new there the old timers would send me off for a six foot board and when I brought to the bench they would say that's too short go ask the foreman for the Wood Stretcher. I caught on......eventually.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Sorry- I missed the forum and I've seen too many hikers who take too long to figure out that "status" on the trail is not what it is in the rest of society.
    If it's the first night out, why not just pull out some pizza for dinner then complain that the delivery man was so slow it got cold?

Sorry- I missed the forum and I've seen too many hikers who take too long to figure out that "status" on the trail is not what it is in the rest of society.
    If it's the first night out, why not just pull out some pizza for dinner then complain that the delivery man was so slow it got cold?
    now that there is funny!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I say the FNG goes to fetch water.
    Want a sense of humor to go with that whine?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hiker initiation:
    1) Put 50 lbs of your gear on your back (20+ if what you will realize you don't need)
    2) Hike 8 miles, uphill, to the START of trial.
    3) If you make it that far and want to keep going, your in the Club!
    4) If you get to Neels Gap, you can unload that 20+ extra crap if you haven't already left it in a shelter.

Post a sign at Amicalola that say"It is customary for all new hikers to carry the water of a veteran thru-hiker up the approach trail to Springer Mt."So buddy up as this will cause less impact to the trail bed.Thank you The management.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++