WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default connected trail towns south of DC

hey yall

Im leaving NYC (and my girlfriend) in two days to head down for a March 20th start on my thru attempt.

She would like to meet up with me a few times along on the trail; we are looking for places that are fairly easy to for her to fly down from NYC. In looking at the map there is not much (at all) after GSMNP (too Cold) and DC (she would like to see me before then).

Any suggestions of trail towns in Virginia that have well connected associations that could help out-- any ideas welcome!

thanks a lot

Images

Asheville, NC and Roanoke, VA are both places that are really close to the trail that she could fly to. Asheville would give you the most options of places to meet along the trail as the trail makes a rough "C" shape around the town. It may not necessarily be cold in NC/TN when you get there, it was in the 80's and 90's most days when I hiked through in 2010 and I started a week after your planned start date.

If you fly into Charlottesville airport, it puts you within 20 miles of Rockfish Gap the southern end of SNP. Shenandoah airport is close to Waynesboro, on the west side of the Mts.

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

I would think she could fly into reagan national airport take the METRO to union station and the train to Harpers Ferry , you can also take the train to Culpepper, VA , rent a car and stay at the either of the lodges in the SNP.

++ New Posts ++