WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The current owner also owns 600 acres of the surrounding land including the Italian style renaissance mansion ; Swannonoa , which he charges $4 a head to go see during summer weekends.

I was just up at the mansion and the place is falling apart. The beautiful marble railings are falling from the porches and from what I understand, there is only a small amount of the mansion that is open for viewing because of the disrepair to the inside as well. What a shame, the place has such potential. As far as the motel goes, it needs to be knocked down, rebuild a new structure. He could make some good money with a restaurant there.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I always thought a Hostel would do great in that area, but yes Rockfish Gap is an Eye sore they need to tear all those old buildings down including the Slumtel, Hopefully they will build a small grocery of somekind so hikers don't have to go all the way into Waynesboro to get resupplied.

If he owns all that property, doesn't he have to pay property tax on it? If he isn't, then the gov't has some leverage. If he is paying taxes, he must have a $ supply from somewhere, since the property isn't generating income.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    If he owns all that property, doesn't he have to pay property tax on it? If he isn't, then the gov't has some leverage. If he is paying taxes, he must have a $ supply from somewhere, since the property isn't generating income.
    He's owns an oil company in Charlottesville .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

One by one, each of this man's businesses and other properties at Rockfish Gap fell into disrepair and crumbled or burned. He is the poster boy for slumlords.

The Inn at Afton was at one time a rather decent Holiday Inn. But they wouldn't put up with his nonsense and yanked the franchise.

To his credit, he (or more likely his staff) will allow hikers to park at the Inn at Afton's lot.

Images

I don't know if any one has mentioned it yet, but I heard the issue at Rockfish gap is water. The tank that supplies the area is private and in disrepair. The hotel could only supply so many rooms due to capacity issues. As a result, limited profitability in the gap. Until someone invests in some infrastructure, the potential in the area is limited.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++