WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Default Section hike Caratunk to Monson (ME) in late May: Is this crazy?

Hey,

I am planning a couple of northbound section hikes in Maine for the third week in May. I understand that between Caratunk and Monson I have two killer fords, bracketing Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to.

For those in the know, am I foolish to even contemplate a mid Spring crossing of those fords? I can handle a little water, and I can see the bailout route to Blanchard and then back to the trail on my map. I would change my plans if we were to get a good rain that week.

What do you think?
    - Tramper Al

Journal Entries
    Images

wbdent Oh yes they will be killer fords in May buy the way things are going here in Maine. I remember one year I did this hike in the opposite direction on Memorial Day weekend and when we got to the top of Moxie Bald Mountain we were sinking in the snow up to our waist in some spots. Then it started snowing. That was a pain in the butt. We had not planned hiking in snow at all. But we had hiked 16 or so miles from Monson so there was no turning back. Onces we crossed Joe's Hole we were done for. Joe's Hole is one crossing you need to take into account too. Joe's Hole was waist deep and you had to feel around with you feet for a good footing. Everything was wet and we were cold. So we got lucky and got a ride from a couple of drunks out the 17 mile camp road. Then once on the paved road we got lucky again and got a ride all the way back to our car in Caratunk.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Serious fords, no doubt. But also warm days and cool nights, trillium and lady's slippers, warbler waves, baby critters, pre-bug conditions, a great time to be in Maine. I'll check the fords north of Horseshoe Canyon in late April, and I'm sure there'll be other trail condition reports on VFTT and here. Plan on going, and see what the weather brings.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default May in Maine

You will not have to bring so much food, In May the black flies are so thick you just open your mouth and start chewing, yum yum good. An advantage of the fords is that while you are up to your armpits in freezing whitewater the black flies will nor be able to bite you on your private parts. Enjoy
    TO MAINE, the way kife should be.

I'd call and get a weather/river report from Steve Longley, who lives just off the Trail where it crosses the Kennebec in Caratunk.

He can be reached at 207-663-4441

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie00
    In May the black flies are so thick . . . Enjoy
    TO MAINE, the way kife should be.
    I'm not sure if you are serious, telling me the black flies will be swarming and then 'Enjoy'? I may be from away, but I think it's "the way LIFE should be". In my experience late May may be too early for the worst of the flies. I have hiked into the first week of June in that area without being bothered. In summer, I agree, is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    I'd call and get a weather/river report from Steve Longley . . .
    Thanks, I was planning to check in with the Ferryman anyway, as we'll be needing his assistance to cross the Kennebec that same week.

Thanks all, for the advice and encouragement.
    - Tramper Al

Journal Entries
    Images

Tramper Al

wbdent The black flies are not bad through the whole month of May. Just usually towards the end. If I were to guess I would say they start coming out about the third week in May. I was at the Ferryman’s place last year on Memorial Day weekend and they were out in force. They very a little year to year but not by to much.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Tramper Al

**** The black flies are not bad through the whole month of May. Just usually towards the end. If I were to guess I would say they start coming out about the third week in May. I was at the Ferryman’s place last year on Memorial Day weekend and they were out in force. They very a little year to year but not by to much.
    All right then, we will be ready for flies as well as fords, with tents, DEET, and headnets if necessary.
    Thanks!
    - Tramper Al

Journal Entries
    Images

Tramper Al

Let us know the exact dates of your hike when you know them. If it is a weekend maybe we will try and swing a day hike in or an overnighter to try to meet you.
    AT Troll (2010)

Default Black Flies

As a Registered Maine Guide that had a home in Caratunk as I was growing up I know the area and the black flies pretty well. I've seen them real bad the second week in May as we were putting in a garden. For seventeen years I guided whitwater raft trips on the Dead River which empties into the Kennebec just above Caratunk and our two big weekends to run the Dead were Victoria Day and Memorial Day, the last and next to last Mondays in May. Sometimes on Victoria day we wouldn't be able to eddy out near shore as the swarms of black flies were so thick our customers couldn't see. I don't know if it's the Micmac blood that flows in my veins or the fact I have lived here all my life but I am immune to the poison of black fly bites, they bother me but they never infect me. Unlike mosquitoes black flies breed in clear running water. A dry year and a cold spring, very few flies, a wet year and an early spring, they will start to carry you off fairly early in May. They are not bad at altitude and in windy conditions but near the water and in the lowlands they are murder. I was doing trail maintance on my section on Saddleback a few years ago and one of the early southbounders told me the black flies were so bad he had taken to sleeping in the privy's. Three weeks ago we had three feet of snow in a week and yeaterday we had three inches of rain so I am not looking for a dry spring this year. If anyone wants to talk about how to dress or what goop to wear to fight the little devels off I would love to participate. I will be out on the trails in Maine, black flies or not every weekend in May, they are part of our envirmont and I live with them even though i don't enjoy them. Just don.t plan on hike anytime in May with the expectation you will not run into them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Moxie00

If you know of some secret bug dope that works on black flies let me know. I have not been able to find anything that works. If you have one for horse flies tell me that one too. It sounds to me like you are one of the true Mainers that can stand there and they swarm around and qand bite and you have lttle to no reaction from it. LOL
    AT Troll (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Moxie00

If you know of some secret bug dope that works on black flies let me know. I have not been able to find anything that works. If you have one for horse flies tell me that one too. It sounds to me like you are one of the true Mainers that can stand there and they swarm around and qand bite and you have lttle to no reaction from it. LOL
    If you know an Avon lady get some "Skin so Soft". It works well but apply it every hour. It smells okey to humans but the flies don't like it, I never had luck with "Old Time Woodsman" which is about half pine tar but many folks swear by it. We all have differemt chemestry and what works for one may not work for another. I've got a few more things I've seen. When I was a young man Scott Paper Co. (motto: Snort on Scott) owned much of the timberland in the Bingham Caratunk area. All of the company logging crew were given silver metal hard hats. The wood cutters would cover their silver hard hats with bar and chain oil, they said it kept the black flies away. I don't know why but it works but it does. If you can find Ben's 100% deet it is great at keeeping black flies away. They claim to have a new strain of black fly in the Katahadin area that lives all summer. I have been bitten by them in August but I do not think they are a new strain. All native Mainers rejoice when we see the first dragon fly appear in June because between them and the tree swallows they eat about 10 times their weight in black flies every day and when the dragon flies are out black fly season has about a week to go. Years ago Maine had major program to spray the wilderness for spruce budworms I think the budworm spray killed all the dragon flies and the black flies lived all summer. Now they no longer spray the August Black Fly is a rare comodity. Just remember, the black fly is our State insect. Our State motto is, "Black flies don't bite-they really suck". They are as much a part of a Maine spring as cold running water, melting snow, beautiful flowers and flooded septic tanks. Live with them, enjoy the view, pretend they don't exiat and have a wonderfull time.
    Rejoice, Spring has sort of come to Maine. The rivers are over their banks and there is only a few feet of melting snow in my yard.
    Last edited by Moxie00; 04-05-2005 at 17:57.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes I would like to here some more Moxie when you have time. I have tried the "Skin so Soft" for sketters and had no luck with it. I have not tried it for black flies though. I will have to try it on them.
    AT Troll (2010)

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default interesting learning about black flies

I'm purty much mosquito proof but there is an animal along the coast of S.Carolina and Georgia called a no-see-um, not only do they love me but i'm hypersensitive to them and probably allergic too. at a sea kayak symposium a couple of years ago in Charleston they were swarming, dense thick clouds, flying teeth the locals call them....luckily and Godbless whoever, but someone put a bottle of skin-so-soft near a keg of beer- it is miraculous, where deet only feed the buggers skin-so-soft easily repelled them. yeah, get to know the Avon lady!

Images

I might give the skin so soft a try, it works on some of the kids, but 20% deet is pretty much a staple in my pack until August. I read once that anything over 20% does not protect you much more than the 100%, so I use the 20% and have pretty good luck with it.

Hooray for Spring!
    Greg P.

Spring is coming. I heard wood frogs today. It was in a south facing draw, can't put it on the calendar until I hear them down back. No big swarm of red-wings yet. Slow. 48' and sunny and I get all goofy. Slow. Fresh basil leaves work for me for mosquitos. Roll 3-4 leaves and rub on leg, stash leaves. Blackflies only go up, cover, tuck in etc. When it gets really bad you really do need "deep woods" type of spray. Always used deet in FL when encephalitis was an issue. Pray for wind.

This article "Learn to Live With Blackflies?" is an amusing and informative account of some Maine fisherman who over the years learned to live with Black Flies. It's worth a read and may corroborate the statement made above by some one who said he had developed immunity to the little devils.

Note to Tramper Al: this may help you, but it's likely to take some years of practice.

Pb

Images

Default Flagstaff Lake to Monson 5/21-5/23

Hey,
    As planned, I hiked the 56 mile section from Flagstaff Lake to Monson Rt 15 over this past (3-day) weekend.
    I am happy to report that there were absolutely NO bugs - black flies, mosquitos or anything else. It may have helped that our temps were 40s by day, 30s overnight.
    The major challenges were incessant rain, mud, standing water, and stream crossings. One particular ford was quite a killer, but we managed OK.
    Last edited by Tramper Al; 05-24-2005 at 20:15.
    - Tramper Al

Only 70ish left! Hope you have warm and dry weather for your finishing miles, Tramper Al!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tramper Al
    Hey,

I am planning a couple of northbound section hikes in Maine for the third week in May. I understand that between Caratunk and Monson I have two killer fords, bracketing Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to.

For those in the know, am I foolish to even contemplate a mid Spring crossing of those fords? I can handle a little water, and I can see the bailout route to Blanchard and then back to the trail on my map. I would change my plans if we were to get a good rain that week.

What do you think?
    And it's Blackfly season too! You'll have a great time.............if ya don't drown or get eaten by the flys...........wanderer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++