WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I usually carry up to 1.5 liters while hiking in plastic sports drink bottles. I'm a heavy sweater and drink alot (water that is). The platy zip bags are for carrying/storing water while at camp. I do not hike with these "zipper" bags full of water in/on my pack. Never had a water bottle or bag failure issue yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I'm with the one-liter folks. On the AT, it's pretty easy to drink your fill along the trail before you need to set up camp. You can wash or cook or whatever you need to do at stream crossings or springs before you camp. I never understood the need to carry a gallon or more of water to a campsite, but that's just my style I guess. Too much desert hiking maybe.
    Washing anything at or near a water source is not a good idea.....on par with throwing trash in a firepit thinking someone else will burn it...

I have used these for years. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80728 I fill up once at camp, hang it, and am done. I leave it filled with untreated water and use out of the bag for cooking or treating as needed. Works great for a small group. We filter out of the bag, if someone brings a filter. Otherwise, I use polar pur or steripen to treat. Just boil for cooking.
    It does not close, but a bag of water can be carried in your hand to a camp, if not too far. Plenty for cooking, cleaning, drinking and filling up for the next day.
    Have talked to someone that filled zip-locks and stored them in the bag, in the pack, for 2 days water supply in desert conditions.

On trail I drink out of 2 x 20 ounce gatorade bottles partially to fully filled depending on what I expect to encounter as I hike in terms of water sources. In camp I fill 2 x 2 liter platypuses or Evernew equivalents. This gives me enough for dinner, overnight hydration, breakfast, and 2 full gatorades in the morning. Having 2 platypuses also gives me a backup in case one is damaged beyond my ability to do field repair. It also gives me a carrying capacity of almost 6 liters total, in the event that I have to cover long waterless stretches of trail. In some areas you might need even more, but this is pretty rarely encountered.

In camp I also use a homemade silnylon water bag for personal cleanup and laundry washing away from other hikers, the trail, and the water source. LNT!
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++