WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

Question Camp Water System?

I'm getting new gear for my thru hike and have read several hydration system threads, but I have one unresolved question. What do you use for your water in camp?

I've read varying opinions on the platypus zipping tanks, and I'm wondering if that's because of model changes through the years or just inconsistent construction.

Other than the platy bags, what's a good solution for evening/dinner, breakfast, and starting drinking water. I guess I'm looking at about 4 liters.

Thanks for any advice!
    Had a successful SoBo hike last year. Check out my blog on facebook!

Images

I use a 3 liter zip platy for drinking water while hiking. I usually don't fill it all the way when hiking, but it lays flatter in/against the pack as a result. In camp, if water is a ways off, I'll usually unpack my gear and haul water with one of the larger dry bags (Walmart) that serves as a stuff sack for clothing normally. Dry it off in the morning with my handy shamwow and good to go.

An assortment of different sized Gatoraide, Poweraide, or Aquafina bottles for water carry on the trail. An assortment of different sized Platy bags (zippered and non-zippered) for water in camp (I use one platy). I like having a good supply of water for the night. Exactly what I take and use varies based on location of hike, time of year, dryness, etc. What doesn't change is that I always use Aqua-Mira drops for treatment. Love the stuff.

Like above, I use a couple of bottles during the day, but at night I also fill a 2 liter platypus. I've never tried the zippered types, I don't trust them, but that's just me.

I carried a platy water tank for camp and never had any issues with quality in 2009. I liked the carry handle. However I ended up just using an extra 2L platy and filling my Gatorade bottles in camp. Oh, and a Squishy Bowl makes a great dip cup for filling at the water source.

Check out the sea to summit folding bucket. It's made of nylon and weighs a couple ounces. Comes in two sizes. One trip to water source and you have water for everything. Folds up into a 3x3 pouch about half inch thick.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I carried a platy water tank for camp and never had any issues with quality in 2009. I liked the carry handle. However I ended up just using an extra 2L platy and filling my Gatorade bottles in camp. Oh, and a Squishy Bowl makes a great dip cup for filling at the water source.
    I use an extra liter water bottle. I know from experience I need a half liter for dinner and a half liter for breakfast. I make sure I have a full liter for camp and as much of my first liter for hiking in and out.

I am experimenting with a mylar bladder recycled from coffee to-go boxes. They seem to hold 3 liters, have a wide cap, are extremely lightweight, and cost nothing, if recycled.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

A one liter sports drink bottle almost always provided me enough water for dinner, breakfast and the hike to the first water source in the morning. This worked for me because I usually ate cold dinners and after the first week or so, had pop-tarts and a cup of cold water for breakfast. On those rare occasions when I had a hot dinner, I'd carry an extra half liter of water into camp in a roll-up Platypus bottle...I never ate a hot breakfast.

Images

Wow that was fast! Thanks guys!

I think I'll use a 2L camelbak and another wide-mouth bottle for mixing during the day and then have an additional 2L platy bag and fill them all up on my way to camp. How's that sound?

Images

I use a 2 liter play hoser during the day. I also carry a couple of 1 liter platy bags. Very light, compact when not in use. This combo gives plenty of capacity for a dry camp when I wish to go that route.

Images

Random: The forum needs a like or thank button for posts and replies.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

In past years I carried three liter camelback and either one nalgene or 1l Gatorade bottle while hiking and this was enough water to use for camp.

This year I'm going to try using the bladder from a dunkin doughnuts box-of-joe for camp water. It's 4-5 liters, made of fairly beefy Mylar/plastic and free.

Best part for thru hikers is that if they decide that they need one they can probably just get it from one of those "trail magic" folks handing out coffee on on the side of the road.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I use a collapsible wide mouth Nalgene. It holds nearly 3 liters for camp. The wide mouth makes filling up easy, the lid makes drycamping down the trail easier.

I also have a hydration bladder for hiking, 2-3 liters depending on season. I also keep a one liter platypus for making powdered drinks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I use a collapsible wide mouth Nalgene. It holds nearly 3 liters for camp. The wide mouth makes filling up easy, the lid makes drycamping down the trail easier.

I also have a hydration bladder for hiking, 2-3 liters depending on season. I also keep a one liter platypus for making powdered drinks.

+1, but I go with a 1.5 litre collapsible wide mouth Nalgene, plus my 1 litre water bottle. The 2.5 litres is about perfect for me for supper and breakfast. The advantage of the collapsible Nalgene is that it squishes down to take very little space in your pack while you're hiking, but it gives you that extra water capacity for the evening and for dry stretches of trail. I think I paid about $8-9 at REI for the collapsible container.

I've seen the "zippable" water containers in outdoor stores, but I'm not sold. It looks like a leaking problem waiting to happen. Maybe somebody who has actually used one can chime in with their observations about reliability.

I have the platy zip water tank. Its great when hiking with others for gathering water while at camp. To big and heavy for solo.

I use a dry sack to which I sewed a 8" long nylon strap across the opening for a handle. Weighs little and takes up little space when not in use. I can filter water right out of the bag if I need to. The only down side is since it doesn't seal, you can't carry water in it, in your pack. That can be an issue if you needed to carry a lot of water to do a dry camp, but that is something I rarely do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Logo View Post
    I use a dry sack to which I sewed a 8" long nylon strap across the opening for a handle. Weighs little and takes up little space when not in use. I can filter water right out of the bag if I need to. The only down side is since it doesn't seal, you can't carry water in it, in your pack. That can be an issue if you needed to carry a lot of water to do a dry camp, but that is something I rarely do.
    I got this what looks like a paper boy bag for x-mas and was quite surprised.It's all nylon,won't hold water(not seam sealed)but would hold just about any thing else and then some.It scrunches up into it's own little sewn-in stuff sack,and has a little mini carabiner.I forget the name of it just now.Pretty cool though,definitely a luxury item.

Images

Thanks Guys! I'm about to go order my 2L Camelbak and two 1L wide mouth collapsible nalgene.

Garlic
    Images

I'm with the one-liter folks. On the AT, it's pretty easy to drink your fill along the trail before you need to set up camp. You can wash or cook or whatever you need to do at stream crossings or springs before you camp. I never understood the need to carry a gallon or more of water to a campsite, but that's just my style I guess. Too much desert hiking maybe.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I've never understood how people get by with a liter of water from the time of their last water stop until the next water stop the following morning. I'd be parched plus I wouldn't have any water for tea nor breakfast. That whole stopping at every water source (including side trail mileage) plus stopping to cook dinner and moving on is a hassle for some, it certainly is for me. I do my miles, make camp, fetch water once, eat my two dinners, have plenty of beverages, have water for breakfast, even enough to start with.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++