WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question About Packing List

So, i made my first gear list for my SOBO thru-hike in July. This is like... A very rough draft. No specifics or anything, and very open to suggestion and change. I want to bring only non- cook food, because I am not bringing a stove. I am trying to hike as lightly and efficiently as possible. I also have limited funds, cant afford expensive gear.

So here is the list:

Backpacking Pack
    Hammock
    Sleeping bag
    Extra clothes
    Hiking boots
    Boot insoles
    Hiking stick
    Swiss army knife
    Flashlight
    Jacket
    Rope
    First aid kit
    Water purification tablets
    Water flavor packets
    2 large waterbottles
    Bug spray
    Duct tape
    Multivitamins
    Granola bars
    Ramen (dry)
    GORP
    Snickers

Anything missing? Anything i dont actually need?? Suggestions?? I'd really appreciate the help. I've done a lot of hiking, but only day trips or weekend trips, never anything like this
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkein

Images

Without specifics, it's hard to really give feedback. But from what I see, switch the flashlight for a headlamp. Keep your hands free.

Your right very non specific. How about maps, toilet paper, tarp and bottom quilt for hammock, rain gear, pack towel or bandana for washing up, toiletries such as toothbrush, can't comment on clothes scince you don't give a break down on what your bring other than "extra clothes"

Opps you said your trying to go light....ditch the hiking boots and get a pair of trail runners

I agree with RWheeler. This list is way too cursory. It's always best to go as light as you can. Compare what you have with this tried and true gear list. It will yield a 16-18 lb base weight cold weather pack. Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner. Gloves and fleece hat are assumed. Ignore the popup.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-24-2012 at 09:03.

Drats...... double post again!
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-24-2012 at 12:38.

Images

dont need rope.do need shelter

Bear bag or food bag....and yes you need a shelter never assume you will have room at a shelter. Especially when the north and south bubble meet. Being your a hanger a small sil tarp won't kill you in weight

Wow. Yeah a lot of this made me go "duh" and smack my forehead thanks for allthe suggestions. And that list is great, i'll definitely look at that as i revise my list.

Also the only reason for the rope is to hang up the food bag... I assume there are still parts of the trail where that will be neccessary?
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkein

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Sparrow View Post
    Wow. Yeah a lot of this made me go "duh" and smack my forehead thanks for allthe suggestions. And that list is great, i'll definitely look at that as i revise my list.

Also the only reason for the rope is to hang up the food bag... I assume there are still parts of the trail where that will be neccessary?
    yeah, but not rope,its too heavy and bulky. paracord is pretty common, and there are a few alternatives listed in a recent bar bag thread.

All you need is about 50 ft of 2mm nylon cord to hang food. Cut about 10 ft off that to dry wet clothes on.

Parachute cord is common, but cheaper and easier cord can be found at Walmart either in camping section or the hardware area it usually comes in 25 or 50 foot. I also have to agree with the headlamp, Walmart too again if going cheap with a Rayovac headlamp again in Sporting Goods. Water bottles, easy fix just get 2 Gatoraid bottles lightweight and cheap. Swiss army knife, if you got one use that if you are buying one all you need is one with a knife, can opener, tweezers (if you get a tick or sliver) etc. You do not need the SwissChamp here with everything...just a basic one. Hiking stick, from woods free. Dust tape, only a strip or two not the whole roll. You will use plastic baggies, here get the freezer bags bags for holding your toiletries, to be your wallet, etc. Some advice with what you gave on your list so far.

What is your reason for going stoveless? I used to do this thinking I was saving weight, but I found I can actually carry less food weight with a stove than without, so it made up for the added kitchen weight. Also your food options are much greater. If its a money issue, I cant think of a better way to spend 20 dollars for a stove and another 20 for a pot, and 5 bucks for fuel.

Could you go stoveless, sure, but I would make sure you really want to before you leave. Plus when you see someone enjoying a nice mountain house meal and your on your 50th day of cold ramen mush and granola bars you will definately re-think the no stove plan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    What is your reason for going stoveless? I used to do this thinking I was saving weight, but I found I can actually carry less food weight with a stove than without, so it made up for the added kitchen weight. Also your food options are much greater. If its a money issue, I cant think of a better way to spend 20 dollars for a stove and another 20 for a pot, and 5 bucks for fuel.

Could you go stoveless, sure, but I would make sure you really want to before you leave. Plus when you see someone enjoying a nice mountain house meal and your on your 50th day of cold ramen mush and granola bars you will definately re-think the no stove plan.
    thias is a great point. you dont necessarilly save weight by going stoveless. alot of the food you carry for cooking is dehydrated, whether its pasta rice beans or mountain house, whereas stoveless, you're carrying hydrated food ,more weight to give you the same amount of calories. i use a pocket rocket, which is pretty light, or you could go alky stove which is even lighter.but a good hot meal sometimes is worth the "extra weight".(figuring 2#day for food , a pocket rocket with canister is only 1#.)

I once did a 7 day trip on nothing but GORP, and well, GORP day 1 is delicous, GORP on day 7 is awful. Your taste buds may never forgive you.

I thru hiked stoveless also. Its great because even if a shelter is dry, you dont need cooking water. Anyway, as far as "extra clothes" goes, the less the better. From late june to october I only carried a jacket, a shirt (which i lost halfway through) wool underwear pants, a pair of shorts, and between 2 and 5 socks. You really dont need more until mid october, november.

also, to weigh in on the boots vs. trail runners debate, I would go with whatever is more comfortable. I really starting ****ing up my ankle after a few months with trail runners. The combination of walking long miles fast, especially in the fall when the trail is covered in leaves and you cant see where your feet land, is pretty bad.

hmm, well i cant seem to edit my last post.

Anyway, stoveless also saved me 2 pounds of pack weight, and a bunch of room in my pack. Youre also never stuck only with food that requires cooking, which SUCKS, cause then you have to sit down and cook just to have a snack. You never have to clean dishes which is awesome and helps you get out of camp earlier in the morning. The only downside for me is that it is definitely a little bit more expensive to resupply.

Basically, I had a terrible diet which became progressively worse as the trail wore on. During the period of time that I was doing my largest miles, (like 21 - 25 mpd) I was carrying 2 boxes Poptarts, 1 box breakfast ceral, Chips (really the most important thing. They have on average more calories per ounce then anything else i could find. I always had two big bags of dorritos, or potato chips or whatever) 3 blocks of cheese, 3/4 pound of deli meat or bags of pepperoni, a bag of tortillas, sometimes a bag of candy or a 6 pack of chocolate bars, and sometimes Id buy a 2 liter of soda and use it as my water bottle. Occasionally I would buy a pint of liquor. And i always had weed, OF COURSE!

whoops just realized this is months old.lololol

must be that weed

Default footwear

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Sparrow View Post
    So, i made my first gear list for my SOBO thru-hike in July. This is like... A very rough draft. No specifics or anything, and very open to suggestion and change. I want to bring only non- cook food, because I am not bringing a stove. I am trying to hike as lightly and efficiently as possible. I also have limited funds, cant afford expensive gear.

So here is the list:

Backpacking Pack
    Hammock
    Sleeping bag
    Extra clothes
    Hiking boots
    Boot insoles
    Hiking stick
    Swiss army knife
    Flashlight
    Jacket
    Rope
    First aid kit
    Water purification tablets
    Water flavor packets
    2 large waterbottles
    Bug spray
    Duct tape
    Multivitamins
    Granola bars
    Ramen (dry)
    GORP
    Snickers

Anything missing? Anything i dont actually need?? Suggestions?? I'd really appreciate the help. I've done a lot of hiking, but only day trips or weekend trips, never anything like this
    by 'boots' do you mean heavy leather boots? you may be using the perfect footwear that your feet really love. if you are considering other options here are my thoughts. a post below suggested trail runners. if you are under 30 and really nimble you might do well with those. if over 50 or somewhere in between I'd suggest something high tops. there are innumerable rocks that will try to bang your exposed ankle bones in Maine. you don't need waterproof boots imo as they are going to get soaked anyway so drainage is more important. they will dry faster and you won't be lugging 8 lbs of wet boots. get some aftermarket insoles like Spencos or Superfeet, too. with this warm weather you might be able to start earlier than July but black flies are possible. there weren't any in 2010 due to a warm April then some cold and rain later that killed them off. good luck.

++ New Posts ++