Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
I guess I am going to have to try some of this Yerba stuff. So I don't need the special gourd, but I do need a special straw?
Definately need the special straw (bombilla). The special gourd would be most helpful (mine weighs 1.5 oz) as it will allow you to extract more of the nutrients from the tea because of its shape. However, one could use a small cup or other item. It would still work, just require a little extra manual working of the tea in order to insure that you extract all the nutrients.

My wife and I do not hike with a cup. We use stove and stove lid as our bowls. The 1.5oz for us is dual use because we use it to put a little water into for brushing our teeth. Cup is 2" diamater and 2.5" tall; it slightly bows out at bottom and is narrower in the middle. Your current small bowl/cup could work; would possibly need to just switch the straw from one side to the other since bowl/cup does not narrow in the middle.

It is cool that you are thinking about trying it; I can't believe it is not more popular as a trail food. Still, I have crossed a few hikers and campers wielding the special straw. My nickname is YerbaJon because of my passion for this tea; a tea I first learned of while working for a non-profit that worked with farmers from Latin America. There is a law in Argentina that every mother must give their child yerba mate before sending them to school. Why? Because it relaxes their muscles, alerts their minds, and most importantly it provides them with a complete nutrition. I look forward to hearing your experience with it.