WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

If you have Tapatalk you can add Hammock Forums. Not sure if they have a free mobile app.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontp View Post
    as for hommockforums.net i totally get it a forum that is based around hammock camping. Just didnt want to have to re register with another site just to ask a question i can ask here.

thank you for those who answered the question instead of not answering the question and directing me to another site. geez do you people make money off of the other site or something, weird....

ok so now that that is out of the way.

do you think the 40 bag, and pad i describe would work if i use some under armor, or is it useless to argue, and i should save myself/my balls and buy a warmer sleepign bag?

I used to work for a guy who was always asking my opinion or advice on something but he was never happy when it was not the answer he wanted.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

It will be a five day trip, in north Georgia. Temps around freezing at night.

Thought the five day trip would be a good benchmark test to see if I want to continue hammock camping.

So I thought I would ask the pro's what can I do to make this an enjoyable experience.

And was planning on using a Hennessy explorer:zip side. With a two layer(foam/egg crate style) pad. And 40 degree mummy bag
    If you use a hammock with a pad, unless you are very slim, the hammock, because it wraps around you, will compress the insulation of your sleeping bag against your shoulders, making it next to useless. It's necessary to have a pad that is wider at this point. You can make your own add-on "wings" with closed cell foam and duct tape (I did this early on in my hammock experimentation), and it works fairly well, except that closed cell foam, being stiff, tends to fight you while you sleep if you're a restless sleeper (the pad slips out from underneath you at times, especially in the HH with its lay-flat diagonal design). I even tried slotting the pad on each side where it hinges under my hips, with little success. With a HH or other lay-flat style hammock, an underquilt is the way to go.
    If you use an underquilt (or overbag, which cannot be used in a ridgeline hammock), the insulation must be tight against the bottom of the hammock. Pockets of cold air form wherever is is not, because the underquilt does not create heat in itself, a concept which a few folks seem to have difficulty comprehending.
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-23-2012 at 11:52.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Yeah I like the adding flaps idea to the pad for the shoulders.

Images

geez do you people make money off of the other site or something, weird....
    The money goes towards paying for the site hosting ect.

As hammockforums is dedicated to all things hammocks it is the place to go to for information about all hammock related questions just like Whiteblaze is the place to go to for AT related questions

I have use a wallyword waffle pattern blue foam CCF pad that is about 24" wide and it does not wrap around me or crush my insulation. I am 6ft2 and 280 lbs so I am not a little guy. For comfort, a UQ is hard to beat. I own and use 5 UQs depending on the trip/weather.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Sorry I know I'm
    A total noob when it comes to this type of thing, I have a question over the under quilt. I've read a couple threads that mention them, which only confused me more.

And I've seen a video on utube on how to make one.

And I know I'm making it more complicated in my head ten I'm sure it is, but is it basically like another sleeping bag?

Images

Kinda... It goes on the outside of the hammock to insulate your bottom.

A top quilt is more like a sleeping bag with no back or hood

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

I use a HH, with SOLite pad, 20° down bag, and (when very cold) a VBL without issues. here's one of my blogs from a very cold night:

http://atstats.blogspot.com/2012/02/...old-night.html
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

I think of the Top quilt (TQ) and Under Quilt (UQ) as two parts of a sleeping bag (they are not, but think of it). Think of taking a sleeping bag, then think of cutting out the part on the bottom, from the knees to the shoulder. That is the UQ part. The rest, is the TQ. The UQ hangs UNDER the hammock, right up next to it. Thereby, it doesn't compress from your weight and loose it's insulating properties. In real cold, use the CCF pad under you (two layer hammocks have that so you can slide your CCF between the parts). The TQ should have a foot box area that goes up to your knees. Mine is snapped so I can open it like a true quilt.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Sorry I know I'm
    A total noob when it comes to this type of thing, I have a question over the under quilt. I've read a couple threads that mention them, which only confused me more.

And I've seen a video on utube on how to make one.

And I know I'm making it more complicated in my head ten I'm sure it is, but is it basically like another sleeping bag?
    Well next time you are cruising YouTube, watch Shug's videos. I think he has about 10 of them. He covers pads and underquilts pretty well and he is a serious cold-weather hammocker. Seriously - no better source of information.

I started with pads and quickly went to a full-length underquilt. But I had the extra $ to do it. (see my setup). One lesson for me is that although pads work, there is a fair amount of experimentation required, so working stuff out in the backyard, park, garage, etc. is preferable before hitting the trail.
    A 1/2" WhatEverMart Blue Closed Cell Foam pad is good insulation (will take you to the mid 20's*F), but is typically 20" wide (and slippery in a hammock). Most large males, lying in a gathered-end hammock mummy-style, would need about 26" at the shoulders minimum. Smaller folks might be OK with the typical 20" pad. 1/4" pads, (especially Evazote), come in wider widths (Jack's R Better sells some right sized chunks for a fair price - avoid Gossamer Gear's pad as it is much too bulky and expensive), but 1/4" isn't much insulation (there's no magic), and by itself is good only into the 40's*F. My best pad solution was a regular size Z-Lite coupled with a chunk of blue CCF for the shoulders. An even better solution would've been to cut down my short Z-Lite for my shoulders - but I couldn't bring myself to killing my favorite Z-lite . My particular hammock is 2-layer, so by inserting the pads between layers I avoid the hassles of the pads sliding around. Again, there's a really good Shug video on making pads work.
    IF you are committed to hammocks and IF you've got the $ then a down under-quilt is the easiest, most comfortable insulation solution.

I went to a hammock system primarily because I'm a geezer and I value sleep comfort. The hammock has delivered.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stats 2012 View Post
    I use a HH, with SOLite pad, 20° down bag, and (when very cold) a VBL without issues. here's one of my blogs from a very cold night:

http://atstats.blogspot.com/2012/02/...old-night.html
    I have been hammock camping for well over 20 years. I found your post interesting. Txs
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    I have been hammock camping for well over 20 years. I found your post interesting. Txs
    me too... drives the point home that it is important in cold weather to have a simple enough set up so that you can take it down (and put it up...) with numb fingers. quickly is a bonus, too!
    Lazarus

Wow jut watch a couple of shugs videos, reminds me of a professor I once had who admired to dropping to much acid in his younger years, great teacher. Anyways do you remember what the video was called that explains how I make pads work? Shugs got a ton of videos

Images

Probably in the 10 video's he has for newbies. Your correct, he has quite a few and they are all worth watching

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    I appreciate the feed back, Hammock Hanger and Lazarus.

I just received a new little gadget that I believe will greatly simplyify securing my tarp. Perhaps you've heard of it: Figure 9's by Nite Ize. I ordered a pack of 4 of these small, very lightweight pieces that attach to the guy lines and allow you to pull tight and sinch down any lines from a tent or tarp. I think having these will be fantastic when the temperatures are so cold that even tying a simple tautline hitch is painful! A quick pull, loop, and sinch and it's done! I'm trying them out in the field tomorrow.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by Stats 2012 View Post
    I appreciate the feed back, Hammock Hanger and Lazarus.

I just received a new little gadget that I believe will greatly simplyify securing my tarp. Perhaps you've heard of it: Figure 9's by Nite Ize. I ordered a pack of 4 of these small, very lightweight pieces that attach to the guy lines and allow you to pull tight and sinch down any lines from a tent or tarp. I think having these will be fantastic when the temperatures are so cold that even tying a simple tautline hitch is painful! A quick pull, loop, and sinch and it's done! I'm trying them out in the field tomorrow.
    The Figure 9's are great.

Images

While the figure 9's are great, you should check out Dutch's gear at:http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...ies/dutchware/

Images

+1 on anything made by Dutch
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

You miss out on so much when you hammock; sleeping on a dirty, hard wooden floor, next to total strangers who snore and fart all night. Having mice climbing over your head at night. Some hiker's dog leaving muddy paw prints on your sleeping bag. Mosquitoes buzzing in your ears. Waking up with a sore back and stiff legs in the morning, making those old man noises when you stand up.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Wow jut watch a couple of shugs videos, reminds me of a professor I once had who admired to dropping to much acid in his younger years, great teacher. Anyways do you remember what the video was called that explains how I make pads work? Shugs got a ton of videos
    i think your realizing why we suggested hammockforums in the beginning although dutch gear is great you can buy what you need at home depot, S biners, fig. 9, descending rings and even straps. my first UQ was a child's sleeping bag from Goodwill (great place for hiking clothes also). suspended it with bungee cord to test out. put a piece of pad under feet. once i realized i liked sleeping in one and really liked the UQ to pads i was hooked. that was 4 yrs., 6 hammocks , 5 tarps and 4 types of suspensions ago.
    i now use for winter a 12' - 64" DIY hammock, z-pack 9-11 tarp, Te-wa 2/3 quilt, High Sierra Sniveller (wareable quilt) and 12' straps w/descending rings @ 5.3 lbs (i feel whoopies and tree straps limit hanging span too much) this has got me down to -5 degrees.
    my 70lb. Lab sleeps in this DIY hammock with me.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++