WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sjd0397 View Post
    resupply... I plan and plan again and i just can't stop worrying about it.
    Resupply was my biggest worry, well, that and 20 other things. Resupply was one of the easiest things I did...but I did extensive planning
    If you come to a fork in the road...take it - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by stumpnotch2011 View Post
    tornados, like the one last april 2011 that started out in alabama and came thru north ga. mtns. i was hunkerd down in hawk mtn. shelter all the tenters and hammockers were joining us at 2am with the wind down trees and golfball size hail. by the way this was my first my on the a.t. this april ill again head north
    I was at Blue Mountain and the hail was the size of tennis balls. When we reached US 75 into Helen, it was closed.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Good advice from TOMP. I have done very well on my long sections using the services of shuttlers, cabs, or hostel/motel owners who pick up. If your budget permits and you don't mind the extra planning you can do the trail without hitching. That said, I have hitched when I'm with others. Men have told me it's easier to get a ride if they have a woman hitch with them. If you're hiking during peak thru-hiker season you will no doubt meet others with your same concerns that you can go into town with.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Hunters
    Hikers
    Anglers

I am trying to think like a bear.
    Soooooo, I shouldn't wear this giant Snickers bar costume that my friends got me as a going away gift? You know, my first thought was, this doesn't look water-repellent, and then I thought "Hmmmmmm. It looks like it could be hot in summer." And, then I was thinking, "You know, screw it! Other than that -- this is PERFECT! What could go wrong?"

I love my friends. Always thinking of me.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    What? Me Worry?
    thanks for that, bamboo bob. not sure everyone knows that particular lofty literary reference...
    Lazarus

Getting sick...mostly because I'm sick right now and the thought of hiking or moving in general seems impossible. I'm thinking about throwing more vitamin C packets into my maildrops.

Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Tiberious View Post

Mice Across my face or in my Sleepibg Bag while I sleep.
    I've been there, I hardly slept all night.

I was in a bug net under a tarp during the solo period of my month long outward bound expedition. I didn't completely clean my bowl out the first night and woke up to a mouse licking the inside. I covered the bowl and went back to sleep. The mouse came by many many times through out the following day, and passed up my chances to kill it with a little dead-fall trap. That night I kept hearing something rustling around and scared it away every time. Later I started feeling something bump me. From that point on, the mouse made the inside of of my bug net its personal race track. I could get it out but I never managed to keep it out.

I didn't sleep much, but it didn't hurt anything.

Best of luck on your hike!
    Had a successful SoBo hike last year. Check out my blog on facebook!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Derek81pci View Post
    The thing I am most afraid of is other people. I have always been anti-social. Me doing this hike is about myself and nature, for months on end. Pushing myself and developing my new limitations and then breaking them. It will take some time to get use to being around strangers and feeling comfortable with them, which I guess is not a bad thing. Being SOBO, there is a chance I might come home with my anti-social ways. I'm not a control freak, or rude... but don't be offended if I don't try to be part of your clique, it has never happened, and I'm beginning to think I may be set in my ways. Life is funny, we shall see. <3
    I think you are not anti-social. It is a harsh word for you. Not social may be a better word but who am I to talk about other people's self judgment?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bgood360 View Post
    Soooooo, I shouldn't wear this giant Snickers bar costume that my friends got me as a going away gift? You know, my first thought was, this doesn't look water-repellent, and then I thought "Hmmmmmm. It looks like it could be hot in summer." And, then I was thinking, "You know, screw it! Other than that -- this is PERFECT! What could go wrong?"

I love my friends. Always thinking of me.
    Wear that giant bar snickers bar costume but ask the manufacturer to sponsor your hike ( If the bears let you finish your hike) or write on the costume this sentence:" I am a human " but in bear language please......

Journal Entries
    Images

Severe weather. We had a really warm winter so I think we'll have a warmer summer meaning more severe storms. There's been a bunch of severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings recently throughout the southern Appalachian Mountains.
    - Life is Good -

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.
    May you live all the days of your life. - Jonathan Swift

Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kk1dot3 View Post
    Severe weather. We had a really warm winter so I think we'll have a warmer summer meaning more severe storms. There's been a bunch of severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings recently throughout the southern Appalachian Mountains.
    Yeah, there's been nonstop wind and rain here for awhile now.
    Had a successful SoBo hike last year. Check out my blog on facebook!

1. That my left knee may give out.
    2. That all my planning may be insufficient in some way. (Remember the old adage about the best laid plans?)
    3. That I am so socially inept that I may not make friends.
    4. That the inward change I seek will evade me.
    5. That the outward change I seek will evade me.
    6. That I will be so slow in the beginning that I don't make it to Maine before the park closes for the year.
    7. That people will be so put off by my physical appearance, that they won't bother to get to know me.
    8. That my rain pants (and other equipment) won't arrive on time from Campmor before I have to leave for Georgia.
    9. That Mt. Washington may kill me.... (I may trip and fall into a crevass, I'm so clumsy.)
    10. That I'll be struck by lightning at some point.

Looking like an idiot and not making it to Katahdin. I have probably not obsessively planned to the same degree as others. I'm partly just going to roll with it. I'm not planning on mail drops, except for unforseen circumstances and cold weather gear. I am however, comfortable with the gear I have and the outdoors. I suspect that there will be some learning curve as I go.

Giardia would also be miserable. Nobody seems to agree on water purification and I don't know what to believe. I'm going to aquamira the crap out of my water and pray for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrousknight View Post
    Looking like an idiot and not making it to Katahdin. I have probably not obsessively planned to the same degree as others. I'm partly just going to roll with it. I'm not planning on mail drops, except for unforseen circumstances and cold weather gear. I am however, comfortable with the gear I have and the outdoors. I suspect that there will be some learning curve as I go.

Giardia would also be miserable. Nobody seems to agree on water purification and I don't know what to believe. I'm going to aquamira the crap out of my water and pray for the best.

Glad to hear that someone else will just being rolling with the punches. From what i've read, over planning can be a waste of time because one never knows what to expect until they are there. Not to say I've done no planning at all, I've done hours upon hours, but it still seems like others have done much more.

1. injury!
    2. Lyme's/Giardia/sickness
    3. everything getting wet

Looks like my wife and I are going to be making some new friends for sure!

Bgood...LOL! I USED to be very fearful until three different encounters that experienced with delight and fascination while viewing them feeding. I laid awake many nights on section hikes in the smokies listening to the leaves blowing thinking it was a bear approaching my tent without me being able to view it. I finally set up guy lines on each and every attachment point so I could hear or feel them passing nearby. Luckily these make shift booby traps let me know only when there was a huge racoon nearby or chipmunks...ha ha! It was not so entertaining to the bf. He was so tired of hearing ITS A BEAR! Its been 6 bear encouters now and I am alot less concerned after seeing how they are truly scared of us and only bother us if we are foolish in how we store our food or forget to hang out our bear bag. Needless to say I am very experienced at hanging my bag as a result of this fear that can be very useful. Using my fears to my advantage

Sickness is definately offset while on the trail..I can deal with myself being sick but I cant stand seeing my loved one sick on the trail without feeling the need to fix everything immediately as a medic thats my bag of tricks (having a jump bag helps). I will have the smallest supply of meds and emergency supplies to help but I know I will have to use common sense in figuring out how to rememedy without heroic efforts. I am currently sick and thinking just as you are about how difficult it will be to overcome this on the trail because this recover has required far more rest and less stress than the trail has to offer

2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

Pretty much everything rundmc said except for number 8.
    Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Anyone wearing a Snickers costume on the AT probably has more to fear from the hordes of deranged, half-starved hikers than anything else.
    This is an adventure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++