WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but how do you weigh your pack? Just now getting mine stocked
    Another option is to use a kitchen scale to weigh everything in the pack, put it all on a spreadsheet, and add it up. If you have anything that weighs more than the scale will handle (mine goes up to about three pounds), use the manufacturer's listed weight. The advantage of this method is you'll see exactly where your weight is, if you care.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Thats what I was thinking

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I have an app for my iPhone/iPad called Gram Weenie. I keep all my gear listed in it by category (shelter, sleep, etc) and then just create trip list for each trip I take. Very useful to look back and see what I carried last year in Maine, etc.

My first light/ultralight trip was in March of 1983 through the Smokies. 18 lbs starting weight including food and water. I had my first frameless pack by Sierra Designs.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Like your quote.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    I'd be curious to know what all you 22 +-pounders are carrying for shelters. I'm around 27-28 lbs with food and water enough to reach Neels Gap. I feel like I've scaled back most of my weight other than my pack itself and my shelter which happens to be a hammock. I suspect the hammock is the main culprit but I'm not willing to give up the comfort. I also don't plan on sleeping in a shelter unless absolutely necessary.
    Interestingly enough, I left Springer on April 2nd weighing 24 lbs with three days food and one liter of water. I can't recall now how I shed those four lbs, but I'm glad I did.

Cat in the Hat

About 17lb with cold weather gear http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5694 and about 14lb for the summer!
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

It is very sad, folks think Ima day hiker.

all of this members messages are spam
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++