WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

25 pounds heavier than in 1960. The local coast guard just changed all of the capacity on local dive boats after the new rules went into affect.
    Average American went from 160 to 185.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

....and due to beer, down to $900 by Damascus!

geek

SeaSparrow,I think your trail name should be changed to "Survey Says"

lol sounds fun

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Wondering where that Starbucks is that the married, 50'ish, non-electronic toting, hammock sleeping, anti-social(-network), spending every dime of his kid's inheritance, old time waffle-stomper wearing, scruffy, more miles under his belt that the kid could think about, cheese toting, wooden staff using hiker told him was "giving thru-hikers free frappes and just up the Trail a ways. Honest."
    WhiteBlaze.net is a social network. I get the feeling the Trail is also.

I am average, protected on both sides by equal numbers, the middle of the top. Except March is for skiing so I am starting in April.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    trying to find the trail magic app icon on his iphone

...and when he can't find, he activates his SPOT.

(And that ain't just newbie hikers. Many people want to be connected 24/7 now....)
    Last edited by Mags; 03-09-2012 at 10:51.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

If I left on March 21 (my birthday) would I be in the bulge? I definitely would like to avoid the most crowded time, but I'm also planning on taking a full six months to do this thing.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

It is very easy to not be in the bulge. The bulge is slow and spends a lot of time in towns. Just hike away from the bulge or "pack". five miles ahead is as good a 100 miles. The pack peters out every week.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Being a Newb, Thru hiker I am not, will I be, who knows? I am leaving for GA on March 18. I have no expectations or romantic thoughts of walking 2200 miles. I have time to spend and a willingness to hike and meet people from different cultures. I am outfitted with some nice things, and some not so nice things. I'm 35 and single, and 30lbs heavier than I was when I was 25. I'm sort of impatient and want to change. I take medication for PTSD and want to work through my fears so that I don't have to take medication. (I will be taking my meds on my journey) LOL... Will I make it? YES, because I have no determined destination. I will enjoy everyday and the day I don't enjoy will be the day I return home. I'm not normal, rain doesn't deter me, I'm simply going to enjoy nature and the like minded people that I get to meet along the way. I AM A Newb and thankful for having the opportunity to be one, May I borrow some tips or food along the way? ha ha ha. Scott

Everybody is a noob at some point in their life. It's a common point of reference for every single person.

Hence the fun.

Personally, I was conflicted about some of the answers: Commando or no? Depends on Hiking vs. camp/town. Start time? Just ahead of the bulge because I'm too anxious to wait and my cold-weather stuff is only a couple pounds heavier than my summer (love today's light weight gear). Tent? Notch (seems equal tarp and tent) when I'm not staying in a shelter. Filter? Nope, A.M. works for me ... using my buff to get keep chunks out .... I will use at minimum two drop boxes to swap cold-warm gear. I will not bring maps as I'm comfy and have 'some' experience following white blazes. I'll be in my 40's. Leaving from an east coast state (returning to ... I don't know yet). I expect to spend $5,000.00+ because I don't want to worry about a budget while on the trail. I'm surprised there isn't a base-weight survey?!? My base weight is under 12 lbs.

I'm still an AT noob and wanna-will-be thru hiker.

I feel guilty (almost) because a voted and will be going in 2013.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    ...and when he can't find, he activates his SPOT.
    So very true, and so problematic. I ran into a kid in the Smokies whose parents forced him to activate his SPOT every evening. We stayed at the same shelters for two consecutive nights, and the ridgerunner told him his parents had called in that morning because his SPOT hadn't gotten a signal through after several hours of trying the night before.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    yes, it really isnt fair to newbies, maybe move this to the humor forum.
    On my first backpacking trip in 1976, I wore jeans, tshirt, sweatshirt, no raingerar, borrowed pack with broken strap, drank water wherever i found it , used sterno for fuel.
    +1
    Wing crank can opener. If we cooked it, it was over a wood fire and still in the can! Carrying 40+ lbs was the norm
    Hip belt? what is that? Maps came from the Skelly station down the road. I still count some of those days among the best of my life... so far

Oh, I also forgot mention, yes it was up hill both ways

Lot of douche baggery going on here.... H.Y.O.H.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    If I left on March 21 (my birthday) would I be in the bulge? I definitely would like to avoid the most crowded time, but I'm also planning on taking a full six months to do this thing.
    I have always liked Hiking the trail in GA in mid Feb. the weather isn't that bad a little cool at night but no leafs and no crowds!

P.S Happy Birthday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++