WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: AT speed record

Images

Default AT speed record

I got an email yesterday from a guy that is trying to break the AT speed record. He was soliciting donations to help with his run. He said he is an ultra marathon runner, and he would need 20 pairs of shoes, tons of socks, a GPS watch and an MP3 player (among other things). He went on in his email to say he volunteers with some Cancer Society organization, ( but was not asking for the donations to go to that fund).

This sort of stuff really pisses me off. I wrote back that it seemed like he was trying for personal fame and glory and as such should pay for it himself. If he wanted a donation to go to the Cancer Society to please send a direct link and I would donate to them, but I would NOT donated to support him. Why if he is such a runner does he not already have a GPS watch and why does he need it for the AT? Why should we pay for his personal MP3 player - last I knew this was not a requirement for either running or the AT.

He said he was going to start some time in May.

Images

Post the e-mail address so we can spam him back.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I got an email yesterday from a guy that is trying to break the AT speed record. He was soliciting donations to help with his run. He said he is an ultra marathon runner, and he would need 20 pairs of shoes, tons of socks, a GPS watch and an MP3 player (among other things). He went on in his email to say he volunteers with some Cancer Society organization, ( but was not asking for the donations to go to that fund).

This sort of stuff really pisses me off. I wrote back that it seemed like he was trying for personal fame and glory and as such should pay for it himself. If he wanted a donation to go to the Cancer Society to please send a direct link and I would donate to them, but I would NOT donated to support him. Why if he is such a runner does he not already have a GPS watch and why does he need it for the AT? Why should we pay for his personal MP3 player - last I knew this was not a requirement for either running or the AT.

Bogus............ Wants stuff for himself, shame on him.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

What's his name? Many of us know the ultra-runners who are potentially capable of something like this. It really sounds bogus. If he goes through 3 pairs of decent trail shoes, I'd be suprised. I easily get 1500 miles on a pair and they are still not worn out. 20 pairs of shoes tells me this is totally phoney.

a new pair of kicks every other day... sound about right.

Images

Fraud for sure.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

(Please note only my opinion, and not me "shoving hike my mike" down anyone.)

It reinforces my opinion that the AT is no place for speed records or charity hikes.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post

It reinforces my opinion that the AT is no place for speed records or charity hikes.
    or thru-hiking

This really strikes a cord with me! I hope to attempt a thruhike and when I do I want to try and raise money for the American Heart Associatian. My Dad had his first heart attack at age 39 and 7 heart attacks later he died at at age 57. My older brother had a heart attack at age 38 and has done well since. He is now 62. My other brother has a relatively rare blood disorder and has problems with blood clots and anyuerisms. I have been tested and do not have that disorder. My older sister has also had a heart attack. Me? Fortunatley I have not got the blood disorder and have been seeing a cardiologist for over 20 yrs. But this is close to my heart (no pun intended). That being said, I would NOT ask for anything for myself, only the heart associatian. I would fund my on trip. Again, I think this is a shame and disgrace!

Dtour
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

ok edit that to not "hike my hike"

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Here we go again......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    or thru-hiking
    I quit hiking GSMNP due to crowds,trashed shelters and greenhorn hikers.Looks like the same thing is taking over the AT.Anyway I'll keep trying to clean-up one litttle section...

Images

Whatever happened to that guy last fall who said he was going to "shatter" the current speed hike record?....

Images

Whatever happened to that guy last fall who said he was going to "shatter" the current speed hike record?....

The last time I checked his blog, he had not made it to the trail.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I quit hiking GSMNP due to crowds,trashed shelters and greenhorn hikers.Looks like the same thing is taking over the AT.Anyway I'll keep trying to clean-up one litttle section...

This is precisely WHY we need to be out - to educate the greenhorns. How will they know otherwise. There's a time to be with the greenhorns and a time to be with yourself.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

http://www.runbum.com/
    This is the website for the guy, When you click on the link for the American Cancer Society, it takes you to a donation page, but it still doesn't say it's donating it to the Cancer Society - it's going to a Georgia Marathon!

It's all way too fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Here we go again......
    flashback http://www.ucfrotc.com/here-we-go-again.html

I love how these people think someone else should help pay for their "dream"

Images

http://www.runbum.com/
    This is the website for the guy, When you click on the link for the American Cancer Society, it takes you to a donation page, but it still doesn't say it's donating it to the Cancer Society - it's going to a Georgia Marathon!

It's all way too fishy.

OK, I looked him up and his name is Sean Blanton, age about 25. He is an extremely fast and talanted runner, but the records do not show him running more than a 125 KM race. I do not know what experience he has on multi-day trail runs. Obviously he is more of a speed runner than an endurance runner. He did complete the Mountain Masochist 50 miler in decent time which shows he can run on Rocky trails. My personal opinion (with the information available on the web) is that he would not make it. Whiteblaze poster Nature Boy who has completed the AT on a thru hike and has completed a number of 100 mile races in the top of the field has a much better chance of setting or coming close to an AT speed record.

So, my opinion is that this 25 year old is over estimating his talent and under estimating the toughness of running the AT day after day. If he is truly trying to raise funds for the American Cancer Society, kudos to him, but I agree that none of the funds should go to support his attempt. A runner with talent can raise a lot more money by running the Boston Marathon or similar events where there are thousands of people interested. Even at that, you still pay your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    He did complete the Mountain Masochist 50 miler in decent time which shows he can run on Rocky trails. My personal opinion (with the information available on the web) is that he would not make it. .
    he ran it in 09 in a time of 9:27. i was 32 when i ran my first ultra and it was at MMTR in a time of 8:47

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++