WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: minnesota smith

Journal Entries

Default minnesota smith

i'm reading this book, called just passing thru about folks at neels gap..... and ithas a few pages about this colorful fellow. i really think it's about our own matthewski. there's a quote in the book from white.blaze, in the book, where someone says: the funny thing is that MS's best thread is when he was off the computer.... is this our guy? aka minnesota smith
    eveready

Journal Entries

wrote to quick.... it was not matthewski... but this was one strange dude!
    eveready

It takes all kinds to make the trail what it is. Minnesota Smith, Baltimore Jack, Ward Lenard, Pirate, Lone Wolf. These are all unique characters that stories are written about. Some have even said that I am a 'strange' character out on the trails. I guess you just have to overlook a mountain man toting a chainsaw up the side of the thill. I can see where folks think Im straight from 'Deliverance'. <lol>
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Journal Entries

From all accounts Minnesota Smith is kind of a jerk. Matthewski is a real great guy. Minnesota saw other Hikers as pests, from most accounts. Matthewski loves all people. He is very helpful to everyone from what I can tell.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Minnie Smith and Matty are buddies, and they hiked together during parts of MS's '06 hike. Matty is a bit strange but definitely a lovable guy. Smitty burned a lot of bridges with some of his posts and threads here and elsewhere, and some of his behavior on the trail. That's as much as I'll say.

Oh, and I predict this thread won't last long here because of the heat it may produce from those who remember "the thread".
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

The Thread starts here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l=1#post173995

Continue at your own risk.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    It takes all kinds to make the trail what it is. Minnesota Smith, Baltimore Jack, Ward Lenard, Pirate, Lone Wolf. These are all unique characters that stories are written about. Some have even said that I am a 'strange' character out on the trails. I guess you just have to overlook a mountain man toting a chainsaw up the side of the thill. I can see where folks think Im straight from 'Deliverance'. <lol>
    You just listed the nominees for the AT Museum's Hall of Fame last year. Can't wait to see this years nominations.
    </lol><lol>

</lol>
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

ouch......
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You just listed the nominees for the AT Museum's Hall of Fame last year. Can't wait to see this years nominations.
    <lol>

</lol>

Yeah, how many on that list got in? Neither are they likely to get in this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, how many on that list got in? Neither are they likely to get in this year.
    or any year. one has to be with the "in" crowd. an AT hall of fame is foolish. my opinion

i like MS by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    or any year. one has to be with the "in" crowd. an AT hall of fame is foolish. my opinion

i like MS by the way
    <big> I see, Myron Avery, Gene Espy, Ed Garvey, Benton MacKaye, Arthur Perkins & Earl Shaffer were in the "in" crowd. In with whom, since those that voted probably only knew 1 or two of them.

</big><big>
    </big>
    <big></big>

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    From all accounts Minnesota Smith is kind of a jerk. Matthewski is a real great guy. Minnesota saw other Hikers as pests, from most accounts. Matthewski loves all people. He is very helpful to everyone from what I can tell.
    I've met MS a few times and I've met a lot of jerks, but MS is different some how; I haven't been around him long enough to elaborate, but something sets him apart from being simply a jerk. And yes, I know the stories on his latest ordeal.

I really think there may be a clinical name that will explain most of his actions, and I don't mean to belittle him in the least, actually he's a really smart guy. I'm just saying I believe the word jerk is inadequate (I've met a few jerks) in explaining some of the abnormal/unusual MS ticks. You definitely can't engage him in conversation like most people, he does seem aloof, at times, but luckily that kind of attitude doesn't really bother me, but other times I found him very friendly, but like I said I haven't spent enough time with him to know any more than that.

I passed MS on the trail in '06 in New York....it was 95 degrees and he was dressed head to toe in rain gear, gloves and a headnet, which I thought was odd given the heat; however, I camped with him one night a few years later in Georgia, and I found him to be entertaining and a good conversationalist.

++ New Posts ++