WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Back to the topic. Savor the anticipation. One you start it's the beginning of the end. If that makes sense.
    GA 80-Miler

When you are not working to build up that bank (a good idea), walk..and then walk some more. Put on the gear and the clothes and walk again. Break stuff in, try stuff out. Even if it's around the streets or a park...walk.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Open ya Guide start planning ,read a book A WALK INTO THE WOODS,look over ya gear,make a gear video for youtube,post it on W.B. ,camp in your back yard,go for a walk,quit your job early,watch movie: on Netflix.Tell all ya friends your plans.Pack some boxes.Eat only camp food for your last days before you leave.Get some leaves and put them near ya toilet.If all that don't work.....

Only 38 more days for me! Every day goes by so slow. I've already quit my job and sold almost all my possessions besides the gear I'll need to thru with. So I really have nothing to do but sit and think about the trail. Fiddle with my gear here and there, look at the guidebook pages for GA for the 50th time, and read random info on the internet pertaining to my hike. I see myself doing alot more walking in the next 38 days and even more the the next 4-5 months after that! I guess I'll just go walk around the streets/woods here... what else can I do?

Spend your spare time working out. The better you start, the less exhausted you will be at the end of everyday. Imagfine being a SOBO'r... the waiting game is KILLING me! Especially when I have everything ready to go lol.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Quote Originally Posted by pdcolelli42 View Post
    Only 38 more days for me! Every day goes by so slow. I've already quit my job and sold almost all my possessions besides the gear I'll need to thru with. So I really have nothing to do but sit and think about the trail. Fiddle with my gear here and there, look at the guidebook pages for GA for the 50th time, and read random info on the internet pertaining to my hike. I see myself doing alot more walking in the next 38 days and even more the the next 4-5 months after that! I guess I'll just go walk around the streets/woods here... what else can I do?
    Do some core strenght exercises, this will help you carry your pack with less effort.

Spokes already told you you don't need the etrex 20 (fun to play with on weekenders but just just extra weight and bulk on a thru) so I'll just point out that the black flies will be long gone by the time you reach NE so you can return that.

Journal Entries

It's called "stoked" the build up for the big ride. In your case it will be a long walk. I have never hiked yet and am stoked for my long April section hike. Don't know much about hiking yet, but when you look forward to doing something your excitement builds until start date. You can help with controlling the excitement by messing with your gear, look at maps, read WB posts, exercise to release endorphin's (walked my 2 dogs 4 miles in cold rain today), and buying your first food supply. This is how I have been controlling the wait.

On the religion vs jesus. Crazy you said that, went to a funeral in Boone NC and had a preacher from Mountain City TN. He said one of the best things ever if someone say's you need religion-run, his point of view was to get a personal relationship with GOD, not religion. Thought that was way cool coming from an old school mountain man!!!!! I see your point!! GOD speed on your hike!!

Quote Originally Posted by SETX_Mason View Post
    Just got my last package from Rei,.... Etrex20(the AT TOPO even has the shelters!), solar panel, mid weight thermals, bugheadnet thingy for these blackflys yall have up north( my sanity is important lol)

and thats it....

I leave on March the 12th... just got to keep working and save as much money as possible im looking at having about $4,500 but im 8th of a Jew so i know i can squeeze my budget even tighter over the next few weeks( living off of 60 bucks a week already)

So... Ya,... lol I dont Know what to do with my remaining time.
    Im so ready for the trail, ordinary life just feels like its in my way.
    I want to be out there, this none AwesomeHiking time is getting in my way!
    I find my self staring at the Calendar way to often to be normal lol
    Pre-trail Blues or some thing?!?!

I decided to do this a year ago.... why all of the sudden is it driving me up a wall to wait one more month? :/

Images

Being the "old guy" I'm not getting too excited about the hike. I know from past experiences that the reality of the doing never quite meets the expectations. I hope I'm wrong and every day will be easy and exciting but life doesn't usually work like that. So I guess I'm going into this expecting things to be bad so that I will be delighted when they aren't.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

My wife says I have Hikers Amnesia. I only remember the fun parts and not being wet and cold and hungry. I once said "this is a stupid hobby, i'm not going to do it anymore". She made me write it down and took out the note every spring. that was about 7000 miles ago. It's not a hobby it's a DISEASE!
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Many Moons, I too went out and hiked for a few hours today in that same rain! I went to Harris lake park if you're familiar. Did the peninsula loop twice for a total of 10mi. Unfortunately the trail is totally flat... as with the rest of the terrain here. I dread driving my car to go hike. I just want to wake up, pack up, and start walking. Then repeat...

Sleep on the floor for a few knights ,see if that gets ya ready.Don't take a bath /shower for 4 days.Quit shaving. Grow a beard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++