WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The OM-D rocks. Especially with a Capture Clip from Peak Designs.

Images

I'll be getting a new point and shoot... I dropped my old canon a620 yesterday while it was powering on. It landed on the lens and caused the dreaded "E18" lens failure error. (google it - there were lots of complaints on it at one point) Not wanting to take my DSLR - I think I'll be looking into a camera that will do RAW images, but still has a light and small form factor like a point and shoot. After spending a couple of hikes getting rained on for two days, I'm still not sure I want to subject my $750 camera to that.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Olympus OM-D 1 or 5. 12-50 lens. Ziplock bags. Done.

Wayne

Never ever trust a $1000+ camera to a ziplock bag, Humidity, dust, sand, rain, etc - NO WAY. I wouldn't pass out that kind of advice.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have always had this same issue (Canon EOS user here!). I've always wanted to take my DSLR with me but never had the means of protecting/storing it.... UNTIL I found this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...camera-clip-v2

I was up in the Adirondacks doing some high peaks over the weekend and took this with me. I must say, I am absolutely amazed at the quality of this product. It clips easily, stores safely, doesn't shift or move around, etc. I also have the 'pro pad' which is absolutely necessary if you are putting it on your pack (the pro-pad has padding on the backside so you don't have the actual clip digging into your shoulder). Luckily, my rain gear is pretty baggy in my chest area (The Packa) so I wore my rain gear with the camera still mounted (rained all day one of the days) and had zero issues. It's a tad expensive but comes highly recommended.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Never ever trust a $1000+ camera to a ziplock bag, Humidity, dust, sand, rain, etc - NO WAY. I wouldn't pass out that kind of advice.
    Been there. Done that. Still have the cameras, lenses AND photos to prove it. There are more secure containers available which I also own, but haven't used them backpacking. YMMV.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Something like this will protect a camera quite well.

http://www.divers-supply.com/-P19150...Fcvm7AoddE0AyA

There are many ways to keep things dry.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

^^ Something like that would work but would need to be much larger in order to house a DLSR camera. IMO, if your storing it in your pack.... you're not using it enough to warrant bringing it. For the 3+lbs I would rather bring bricks of cheese w/ me, maybe my house pillow and a blow up pad!

Yah, I have a Nikon D300 and a D80...I never carry either of those anymore. They're just too bulky to be backpacking with. I did pick up a Sony Nex-7 and I've been using that lately. I haven't yet put the pics on the computer for editing, but with a sensor size that nears that of DSLR's (APS-C), I think the quality will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    Yah, I have a Nikon D300 and a D80...I never carry either of those anymore. They're just too bulky to be backpacking with. I did pick up a Sony Nex-7 and I've been using that lately. I haven't yet put the pics on the computer for editing, but with a sensor size that nears that of DSLR's (APS-C), I think the quality will be great.
    +1 Pretty sure there are companies out there who make full frame point and shoot camera now. Makes me feel a bit silly w/ my 4lb EOS T1i strapped to my chest when I could have something 1/5 of the weight in my pocket.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    WOO, the OM-D and some of their lenses are 'Weather Sealed' and protected from the elements. Not that you would want to test it in extreme conditions but a quality Zip-Lock as an extra layer of protection seems reasonable on the trail to me.

I have been looking at the four thirds system as a nice comprimize between weight and quality but I have not pulled the trigger yet. I would love to hear more from people who have used these in the field.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    +1 Pretty sure there are companies out there who make full frame point and shoot camera now. Makes me feel a bit silly w/ my 4lb EOS T1i strapped to my chest when I could have something 1/5 of the weight in my pocket.
    No full frame P&S yet, but SONY just announced the mirrorless A7. 24 Mp. Smallish body a la NEX 7. I didn't look at the weight after seeing the price: ~$1,700. Or the A7R, 36 Mp & $2,300. Plus lenses. Yikes!
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10...ony-a7-and-a7r

For those prices, I can carry any one of my antiques (Hasselblad, Pentax 6x7 or Leica M5) and a lot of film.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    WOO, the OM-D and some of their lenses are 'Weather Sealed' and protected from the elements. Not that you would want to test it in extreme conditions but a quality Zip-Lock as an extra layer of protection seems reasonable on the trail to me.

I have been looking at the four thirds system as a nice comprimize between weight and quality but I have not pulled the trigger yet. I would love to hear more from people who have used these in the field.

Scott
    A friend of mine is doing fantastic work with his OM-D.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/wclavey

Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++