WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Coyotes feasting near Wayah Shelter

Stayed at Wayah Shelter last night. It was 8 PM, I was alone and was just about to fall asleep when I heard a single howl coming from the North at a distance of maybe 1/4 mile. It was quickly followed by a second howl and then several more in quick succession. Not a minute later they were in a frenzy and could be heard viciously attacking something. I could heard yelps, growls, and all the sounds you would expect to hear on an episode of When Wild Animals Attack. The frenzy lasted for a minute or two, things got quiet for a few minutes, then it started again for another minute or so.

Here I am laying in an open shelter with a pack of hungry coyotes nearby and all I have are a couple of trekking poles and a little pocket knife to defend myself. I peered into the darkness for the next hour, listening for the faintest sound that would tell me that they were getting near. I finally heard a single howl coming from the NE and from a little further distance. They were moving away - walking upwind in search of their next meal.

I slept with one eye open and didn't hear anymore howls during the night. I'm not sure what I would have done if they had come into the shelter area. I've read a lot of advice on how to handle encounters with bears, but not so much on what to do during an encounter with coyotes.

You lucky dude. I love being around active coyotes. They won't bother ya, unless you are already dead.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

We had a similar thing happen on one of our Parade of Fools hikes in NY during the winter. I was down the valley from the others who were near or in the shelter, and several coyotes were howling and coming up the valley. They were probably drawn from the leftover raw marinated steak that I brought to share with the guys. It made me a bit nervous to hear several animals at once, heading towards me, but I figured that they were headed for the shelter to check out the scent (though I was sure that the guys sleeping there would deter them from getting at the meat). The meat (and the guys) were still there in the morning. I fell asleep once the animals stopped their chattering.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Can you imagine being a cute little fawn and being ripped apart while you're still very much alive, all the while your mother sits there just watching, not so much as belting out a cry. Mother Nature is so freakin' cruel. Why does she want us to kill each other in such a savage manner, I'm sure there are other ways to control our populations. I'm sick of people saying, oh, that's just nature, as if it's alright. The fact is, for one to think it's alright, one must engage the sociopathic part of their brain.

As the old saying goes. They're more afraid of you than you are of them.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I'm sick of people saying, oh, that's just nature, as if it's alright. The fact is, for one to think it's alright, one must engage the sociopathic part of their brain.
    Did you forget the blue font?

john gault "Can you imagine being a cute little fawn and being ripped apart while you're still very much alive, all the while your mother sits there just watching,........"

But they're so CUTE while they're ripping Bambi to shreds.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

You'll joke, but I know somewhere in this universe there's a mother nature that knows how to treat her living beings with love, respect and justice. We got screwed here on earth.

You'll joke, but I know somewhere in this universe there's a mother nature that knows how to treat her living beings with love, respect and justice. We got screwed here on earth.
    Now I KNOW you forgot the blue font.......

I love my yurt door on nights like that! They usually travel in packs during hunting season - clean up what the hunters gut.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Nothing to fear. Happens all the time here on the Pinhoti and in the Sipsey Widerness. They are very curious creatures. When my dog is with me they love to hang back at a distance and watch our camp.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Eat or be eaten, kill or be killed. Thats the way the world works, don't see how it could work any other way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Not all domestic dogs are vocal.A husky lived with me in the 80's and every sat 12:00 noon the fire siren would go off,and he would howl,if you've never seen this It is pretty darn cool.The dog I have now is a mixed breed and is also very vocal....we love it!

Can you imagine being a cute little fawn and being ripped apart while you're still very much alive, all the while your mother sits there just watching, not so much as belting out a cry. Mother Nature is so freakin' cruel. Why does she want us to kill each other in such a savage manner, I'm sure there are other ways to control our populations. I'm sick of people saying, oh, that's just nature, as if it's alright. The fact is, for one to think it's alright, one must engage the sociopathic part of their brain.
    I think we should go to the "Roller Ball" form of government...but not really.

Journal Entries
    Images

I eat mice
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I eat mice
    I could maybe send you some,If you want?

Coyotes killed a woman hiking in Cape Breton. I would still take my chances with coyotes over certain dog breeds, the ones that have had good owners selectively bred out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Nothing to fear. Happens all the time here on the Pinhoti and in the Sipsey Widerness. They are very curious creatures. When my dog is with me they love to hang back at a distance and watch our camp.
    It's not unusual on the Pinhoti to hear 3 different packs going off at the same time from 3 different directions. Also not unusual to find scat in the front and back yard.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

And all shall be well and
    All manner of thing shall be well

Same here in Georgia on the pinhoti, I can hear them from 3 different directions at night from my porch, the pinhoti is on 3 sides of my home

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    It's not unusual on the Pinhoti to hear 3 different packs going off at the same time from 3 different directions. Also not unusual to find scat in the front and back yard.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++