Default Bear Canister and Hanging

I have heard a lot of people take bear canisters, but what is the point of them if you hang your food? Or are there section where there arnt trees to hang your food from? This is just confusing to me, any help would be great, thanks!

I think it's mainly for the protection of both humans and bears. Improper hanging methods, using only bags, can still reward a creative and determined bear. If a bear figures out how to defeat the hanging system the canister would prevent the problem bear from being rewarded. Eventually, this would defeat his attempts at human food completely. A rewarded bear becomes a problem bear and a problem bear becomes a dead bear. I think a proper PCT method of hanging would be fine in places that don't require canisters.

Images

Hanging is allowed in most areas, even areas where it really isn't possible, but isn't allowed at all in some areas of the Sierras. In those areas you must used an approved bear container. Frankly, I just don't want to deal with the time and hassle of hanging. In those areas where a bear canister isn't required, I'd rather use an Ursack.

Ok, thanks! I figured it was a simple answer. So then if you have a bear canister do you need to hide/hang it or does it keep the bears from smelling the food in it? I havnt had any experience canisters on a trail.

If you don't hang it/hide it and a bear finds the canister, it's likely that you will not find the canister in the woods the next morning after its kicked around your campsite. Bears have arguably the best sense of smell on earth, I don't know that anything is 100% scent proof to them. You will get different responses from this website, some people always hang and others use there food bag as a pillow. Obviously the pillow guys have never camped in grizz country!

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I took mine on my section hike last year, When I shared my accomodations in a shelter I always asked if anyone minded me just leaving it in the shelter. No one cared. Only once did I have to walk it out to the bush and I just crammed it in the Y of a tree. I also use an OP sack inside the cannister.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by capto View Post
    Ok, thanks! I figured it was a simple answer. So then if you have a bear canister do you need to hide/hang it or does it keep the bears from smelling the food in it? I havnt had any experience canisters on a trail.
    Do not hang a canister.

I got a canister for use in the Sierras but I've started using it on AT section hikes. Advantages are not having to hang, small rodent protection and a seat (none of which should be underestimated). Disadvantages are weight and mocking and sarcastic comments. Bears in the Sierras know they can't crack these things. AT bears haven't been exposed enough so I'd expect some curiosity at some point. You don't want to wedge them and give the bear leverage.

I hiked the entire trail last year without hanging or using a canister a single time and had no problems. We went through the High Sierra in a ton of snow, so there were no rangers or bears around, but in normal conditions I would use the canister there to avoid potential fines.

Images

Dont Panic, you're much more capable than the vast majority of hikers though. Also much more into UL. It was nice seeing you two with tiny cuben fiber packs at Mike Herrera's house last year, yet also carrying umbrellas if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Dont Panic, you're much more capable than the vast majority of hikers though. Also much more into UL. It was nice seeing you two with tiny cuben fiber packs at Mike Herrera's house last year, yet also carrying umbrellas if I remember correctly.
    Gossamer Gear packs, not cuben fiber, but you are right about the umbrellas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Panic View Post
    Gossamer Gear packs, not cuben fiber, but you are right about the umbrellas.
    Due to resupply difficulties I hung all through the Sierra and a few areas to the north. If you are going to hang then learn to do it right. So many people waste their time with half-a$$ed hangs.

Don't Panic,
    I was following a few days behind you guys last year once I made it through the Seirra. Thought I might have a chance to meet you guys and Marcus but everyone was logging too many miles per day to make any real progress. I was hoping to meet all the early Sierra travelers.

Malto

Images

Great info!

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    I think it's mainly for the protection of both humans and bears. Improper hanging methods, using only bags, can still reward a creative and determined bear. If a bear figures out how to defeat the hanging system the canister would prevent the problem bear from being rewarded. Eventually, this would defeat his attempts at human food completely. A rewarded bear becomes a problem bear and a problem bear becomes a dead bear. I think a proper PCT method of hanging would be fine in places that don't require canisters.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

On my PCT thru-hike, I ran into a few rangers in the Sierras who asked about my canister. If you don't have one, you can get fined or be asked to leave the park. Also, if a bear attacks you for your food and has to be killed (which is what they do now for problem bears), I believe they fine the offending person $10000 (couldn't find a link, but that's what I've heard).

Don't be daft--just take the canister. By the time you get to the Sierras, you'll be in amazing shape and the weight will not be an issue

Images

The AT bears all have screwdrivers and can get into one of those fancy canister things without much trouble.......
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Images

There are bear tracks in my yard today. Don't they hibernate anymore?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

++ New Posts ++