WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default favorite breakfast

Just trying to find different option for easy breakfast food. I usually eat the instant oat meals and cereal and I feel the need for something different. Needs to be something easy that requires no more than just adding hot water since I carry a limited cooking ware supply. Mind sharing some of favorites?
    Thank you!
    Tutti

Images

I have tried all sorts of things. But I have settled on cereal. I buy a regular box of whatever cereal I feel like eating and take out and pack the bag of cereal and eat it dry by the handful. Fast quick and lasts 4-6 days depending on how I want to stretch it out. Eat pack up and go. Banana nut is my favorite. Especially Bear Naked brand.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Two hard boiled eggs with a salt packet taped to the side - string cheese etc,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Cheese grits with black beans and some salsa.

Images

I read all the responses and did not see sausage and gravy with plain bagels. The sausage packets each last 3-4 days and have tons of flavor, pepper or sausage. bagel cleans the pan so no clean up. Of course 16 oz of coffee is a must. coffee must be black and not see through. If it is real cold its a pop tart and get moving then an oatmeal cream pie. I do not like cleaning up after breakfest. I want to eat and go. Many times I get up pack hike 2-3 miles then stop at a nice spot and cook breakfest. Oatmeal is so heavy, and it really got old quick.

My favorite breakfast on the trail: fried apple pie (Krispy Kream) and a hard boiled egg. A blueberry Nutri-grain about 2 hours later.

Instant rice, dried milk, cinnamon and raisins or dried apples. Add hot water and you've got rice pudding.

Images

Cold breakfast : Bagels,the flat ones,with strawberry Jam. Hot breakfast : Mountain House eggs with bacon.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

When i'm hauling it it's lima beans and slim jim type of mix. That said mainly down south someone shows up witb a fry pan. Bacon. deer sausage, eggs. potatoes. That kinda hook up is to me unreal magic. Almost makes me think I should carry some kinda frypan. But I can't see myself ligging that equipment.

I bring along a couple of eggs. Perhaps already cracked in a nalgene. Now this is not my daily breakfast---this is my favorite breakfast. I take a raw egg or two combine with a bit of milk. (yes I haul this). I take out a couple pieces of bread. Of course they are smashed, but it's ok. I dunk the bread in the egg and milk mixture. I fry it in my titanium skillet. I have a vial of syrup. And if I get really fancy, I'm carrying a small supply of cinnamon. And then I sit down, or stand up more likely, and enjoy my french toast. No this is not ultralight, and yes it's about once a week. And it's just about my favorite breakfast.

Images

other breakfast ideas include:

Simple:
    protein shake - pre-add powdered milk and mix with water
    Carnation instant breakfast or Ovalteen
    Cliff Bars (or some other bar)
    instant cream of wheat, grits
    bagels with a little butter or margarine or spreadable cream cheese (lasts a few days)
    Oatmeal with almond butter - pretty much the staple

Medium

pancakes
    powdered eggs
    cheese grits - not instant

Elaborate:
    cheese biscuits - bisquick, water, cut up block cheese - fry in Banks FryBake with oil
    Powdered egg omelets with dehydrated mushrooms and cheese
    Beignets with powdered sugar - get the cafe DuMonde Mix and don't forget the powdered sugar and a sifter - clean up well - use liquid fuel bottle as rolling pin

Over the top
    I usually do this the night before in a Banks FryBake -- wouldn't carry that thing long distance but for 20 or 30 miles, what the heck:

Make Carrot Cake mix with powdered milk and dehydrated eggs and cook on hot campfire coals in Banks FryBake - careful not too hot - you can scorch it -
    you need to put it in the coals and pile some coals on the lid so it cooks evenly. Put big rock on top of it for the night to keep mice out.
    In the morning, make homemade cream cheese icing to top it with - really a stellar trail breakfast - I obviously don't do it much.

Everything above naturally served with coffee except for the beignets which are served with coffee and chicory.

frybake - Ruth Glacier Alaska - climbing the ice route "Shaken, not Stirred"

i used to love the pastry swirls that poptarts sold for a few years before they discontinued them :-(

Images

Not a big breakfast person here but for last year's section hike I tried Packit Gourmet's fruit smoothies and thought they were great. 420 calories and you just add cold water and they go down easy.

Bear claws for the first few days. Then pop tarts. (Nutella on bread in a pinch)
    with coffee of course.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Default Oatmeal does get old - but I tried sprucing it up a bit

Oatmeal does get old - but I tried sprucing it up a bit.
    Prior to heading out on the trail I prepared breakfast in 1qt size ziplock bags. 1 for each morning.

1cup regular, old fashioned rolled oats
    3tblsp Nido (powered milk) high fat content and tastes great
    1tblsp brown sugar
    handful of each depending on your likes - dried fruit(cranberries, raisins, banana chips, pecans, walnuts, apple, apricot)

To prevent having to slow cook the oats over a camp stove which takes time and fuel, I boil a pot of water and then add 1 1/2 cups to the mixture while still in the ziplock bag. Insert the bag into my canteen cup to hold and prevent spilling. Zip bag but leave air space to allow for steam to condense without popping the seal open.
    Let mixture stand for 10-15 minutes while I take down the tent and roll my sleeping bag.

When ready to eat may need to add a little more (still hot water) to dilute to preferred consistency.
    Leave mixture in ziplock, and eat using canteen cup to hold. this prevents having to wash dishes other than spoon.

A weeks worth of breakfasts does add weight, but its just as heavy in your belly, and will last until lunch stop.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Bear claws for the first few days. Then pop tarts. (Nutella on bread in a pinch)
    with coffee of course.

Old school
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Bacon cheese grits. With more bacon. And cheese.

I put my cereal in a baggy w/ instant milk all I do is add some cool water in the morning, shake and eat. Its better than dry!!

Ok, I was experimenting last weekend and now have a new favorite breakfast. Quinoa, chopped almonds, dried cherries and a bit of brown sugar. You can add milk if you'd like.

Quinoa dehydrates nicely after cooking, making this a great FBC option. Can be eaten hot or cold too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++