WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Hiker challenges are you looking forward to doing?

The Ice Cream, 1/2 i believe is on my list. I challenge all 2012 Thru-Hikers at fastest time. Strawberry is my favorite.

one at a time?

Images

Most people know of the 4-State Challenge - One day - Deer Lick Shelters, PA, all of MD and WV to David Lesser Memorial Shelter, VA (or, the other way, NOBO) - this total mileage is about 55 miles- you can cut this to about 44 miles if you start and finish at the actual state lines. The hiking is really quite straight forward - if I thru hiker with trail legs starts at 5:00 am, he / she should finish it by about 10:00 pm hiking just at or under 3 mph. Good luck with this one. I didn't do it (or even know about it) on my thru hike but it's on my list of things to do. You'd certainly earn yourself a zero-day!

Comment deleted by author

Images

Sundae challenge at the AT Cafe in Millinocket, ME

Here is a photo https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Well, after 2011, I look forward to each 0.9 miles I can actually hike.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by seasparrow View Post
    The Ice Cream, 1/2 i believe is on my list. I challenge all 2012 Thru-Hikers at fastest time. Strawberry is my favorite.
    try this one if you make it up north
    http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/...rry_Vermonster

Quote Originally Posted by seasparrow View Post
    try this one if you make it up north
    http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/...rry_Vermonster

The only challenge you should be concerned about is getting to Maine!! Or at least out of Georgia...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The only challenge you should be concerned about is getting to Maine!! Or at least out of Georgia...

Hear, hear! Great point! I am going to go for the 4 state but not if I dont get there

Yes, the half-gallon of ice cream. I'm severely lactose intolerant so I will require a zero day after, too (yes, I have lactaid, but that's a heck of a lot of dairy!). As for speed challenges, probably not...well, actually, I'd like to get done in time for the start of football season.

:banana

Hey don't tread on my thread ,if you want motivation to reach Maine visit my other thread this ones for challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Thumbs down on the stupid stuff.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.Enjoy the trail and adventure,not everyone will make it Maine but everyone should have fun trying.

Just getting back to hiking after breaking my ankle will be challenge enough for me. Even if I could, I'd never take the four-state challenge. You miss a lot of history by racing through that part of the trail.

Images

there's the smokies challenge right? i forgot how many days it was? not sure, but that's early on for NOBOs.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Case Challenge heading into Pearisburg. From the VA 606 road crossing, obtain a case of beer. Over the next 24 hours, hike the 24 miles into Pearisburg consuming all 24 of your beers in the process. Be drinking any time you're meeting or talking to someone new. For some reason, people also like to wear prom clothing with this. It can be done, but I'd put the success rate at less than 5% from what I heard last year.

Wolf Burger challenge at the White Wolf Inn in Stratton, ME. Eat three Wolf Burgers--each a half-pound of meat and loaded with cheese, onions, and mushrooms on top. When I passed through in September last year, one Wolf Burger was plenty for me. Only 6 thru-hikers in 2011 had succeeded up til that point (whereas probably hundreds had done the 1/2 gallon of ice cream).

$25 of Taco Bell food, various points along the trail. The same guy who completed the case challenge was also the only person I heard of who succeeded with this one (multiple times).

50 McNugget Challenge in Erwin, TN (invented by Manks and me). See exactly how high your metabolism has skyrocketed after the first month or so on the trail by ordering 50 McNuggets and a gallon of McD's Sweet Tea (for $16.50). Consume in under an hour. We got the McNuggets down but the gallon of sweet tea was impossible. I can't speak for future generations of thru-hikers, though ...
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Someone also writes extensively in the shelter logs about his own "West Virginia Challenge," which is to spend as many nights as possible in the 15 miles of West Virginia trail. You have to move at least 200 yards forward from your previous campsite each day. I don't think many people undertake this one.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

50 chicken McNuggets is a lot of McCrap! From The Omnivore's Dilemma:

"But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill."

I love my junk food but not that much.

How about a hike through VA without washing your underwear!
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++