WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much $ do expect to spend on your 2012 thru hike?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Budget Time

Journal Entries

A thru hike costs $2000. That's the bare minimum for a reasonably healthy hike with reasonable gear and very little frills. One could do it for $1200 if they already had most equipment and were content to eat knorrs and ramen, and stay away from towns for more than a few hours. I'd like to be the first person to spend $20,000 on a thru. That's a record worth shooting for.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

OH ! That would be a real treat for my feet and tummy each night I would get a shuttle to town and and back again bright and early to hike to next road crossings...teeehee! Just kidding...That would take the whole wilderness experience outta of it and it would no longer seem like a pilgrimage. Ha ha!

I'm in the $4,000 bracket. Been planning this too long to be sidelined by something like money. I pushed it back from NOBO to SOBO just to have more time to save. Also, I like the upfront challenge of Maine, and the solitude southbounders get. Plus, I get all the hot water that I want at the hostels! No shower lines!
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

I put $3500-$4000

That's my cap, I hope to spend less than that. I already dropped a bunch on new gear to replace some of my heavy, dated stuff and I count that as part of the cost. On the other hand, I don't drink, so beer while in town isn't going to cut into my budget. On the other other hand, I kind of worry that it will cut into the social experience of hiking, but I'm not going to start drinking at 23 just for that.

Realistically a $1000 won't cut it to do the AT. Most hikers that had that kind of budget usually burn out before Harpers Ferry, I have personally seen it many times. Any gear malfunction would be a big hit to your cash reserves, forget about a great social life, and do not even bring up an injury and going to a clinic or something. Realistically $2500 and up. I have seen many cost around $5000 with all the bells and most of the whistles. The old adage a dollar a mile was true for the early 1990s, but now its like $2 a mile with inflation.

Update: im just breaking 5k now lots of over time the last 3 weeks.... i over shot even after buying a kindle and a android Max... quit my job today... im praying hard i can get my old job back when i Finnish money was too good.... but i figure i will burn the extra bit of money getting back to Texas(i refuse to fly due to TSA)

Images

I predict the dropout rate this year will be at least 38.04%

I've got two years left in the Army before my wife and I start our hike, and I'm planning on saving up to anywhere between 12 and 15 grand. This is for new/updated gear, food, and any other expenses.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Playin' it kinda safe, eh?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    But bear in mind that 89.3762% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++