WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hitching a ride

Default hitching a ride

I have never hitchhiked before and was looking for some feedback to see how most hikers handle this. Are there some methods that work better than others? What is proper amount for tipping? Have you ever been offered a ride that you declined because it just didn't seem right? Any and all feedback is welcome! Thanks

Journal Entries

Oh, good. So I'm not the only one thinking about this.

Images

Stick your thumb out and try not to look like a serial killer. Have never tipped when hitch hiking but if it was a pretty long ride I would offer some gas money.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

just sit on the hill top and put your thumb in the wind.. but usually no one asks for money unless your asking to go out of their way if your hitching from the trail most drivers have seen the likes of hikers and know what your doing.. its a general non issues but i guess everything can also turn out to be a pian in the butt..

I thru hiked last year and avoided hitchhiking as much as I could as I'd never done it and was not that comfortable. I used shuttles or stayed at places that picked me up. I ended up hitching only four times. On two occasions I'd given up and was just walking to town when someone stopped. Once, someone had passed me by as their car was full of groceries. They went to their house, unloaded the groceries, and came back for me! Only once did a car stop while I actually had my thumb out.

The lesson I learned was that the locals are used to hikers and willing to help out. The folks that picked me up were excited to hear about how my hike was going. It never occured to me to tip. (Hope I didn't screw up....)
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

A few things can help you get a ride for sure.
    You must stand in a spot where it's convenient for the vehicle to pull over safely.
    It helps if it is a spot where they are already going slow (like after a stop sign or red light)

You should try to look as presentable as possible. Try your best NOT to look like a homeless person (even though you are)
    A sign proclaiming that you are an AT hiker can help this last point and that you need a ride. Putting the destination on the sign can help (sometimes) I use a tarptent and carry Tyvek and a Sharpie and fold it to a new section everytime, and write the destination on there.

Smile when you make eye contact. DO NOT give them the finger or any other negative sign when they do not pick you up. (asking for trouble and ruining it for everyone else)

Whether to trust the driver or not is up to you and a personal evaluation by everyone.
    When I'm picking up hitchhikers, I will ask them if they have a gun. The question usually throws them off and if they hesitate or say yes, I drive on.
    I have already used it to a driver ONLY if i didn't like his looks or intentions for some reason.

For safety reasons, it's always a good idea to tell them that someone is waiting for you and knows your coming soon.

Hitchiking with a dog helps more than hinders.
    If you are a solo male, stay solo, or hook up with a woman to hitchhike. 2 men hitchhiking is very difficult.
    If you are a woman, hook up with a man (for safety and help him out).

Be polite and talk. Often times they want to hear a story so, tell them why you are hiking or something.

And remember: Hitchhiking is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat: Sooner or later, you are going to get pissed off. (saw that on a bathroom wall in Europe once)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I much rather prefer trying to get a ride from fellow day hikers, etc at parking lots. I have also been known to hoof it into town a few miles rather than hitch. I did hitch once in Vermont and thankfully and older lady picked me up, but that was it. I also like it when hostels etc offer rides. I was told you can refuse the rdie too if something doesn't look right.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

i hitch around the county even hitched to a court date its usually interesting and law man shook me down one time but its really a non issue.. try to avoid hitching by your self if you feel weird about it.

What fiddlehead said. It seems to be easier to hitch from the trail to town. I made me a sign out of two pieces of Tyvek that I stitched together. One side read Hiker to Town, other side Hiker to Trail, weighs about 1 ounce. Pick a place that has good sight distance. It takes a little time for folks to see you, decide that you ain't a serial killer and the decide to pick you up.

Pay it forward. I now pick up hitchers. My wife hates it.

Every one of my hitchin' experiences was positive.

Images

If you use hiking poles, it's best to collapse them and lash to your backpack.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I did a lot of hitching last year on my almost thru-hike. Most times I got a ride in short order. I can think of only 2 times where I had to walk several miles down the roadside before getting a ride. Everyone who picked me up was interested in my journey and also shared some info about themselves that was always interesting. No one ever asked for money and I never sensed that anyone expected to be paid. There was only one time when I was a bit hesitant to accept a ride from a rather rough looking individual, but he turned out to be a real nice fella who was just as interesting as all the others!

I think it's essential to have your pack on your back in order to get a ride. I looked pretty rough most of the time, but the pack identifies you as an AT hiker and makes it much more likely that you'll get a ride. In one town where I took a day off the trail, I tried hitching to an outfitter that was 3 miles away to get some supplies. I was without my pack and even though I had showered and had on clean clothes, I couldn't get a ride and had to walk the 3 miles. By that time my hair and beard had gotten pretty long and I had lost about 15 pounds, i.e. I looked pretty rustic!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know in Tennessee its illegal to advertise to hitchhike (either by thumb or sign). Usually, there are lot of very nice locals that will offer a ride. I myself will stop along roads or by trailheads if see hikers during the season ask them if they need a ride into town or to a hostel.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Just stick out your thumb, trust in the world and be patient. I never had a problem hitching on my thru and met a lot of interesting people a long the way.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

Always had better luck from people leaving the trailhead, than from the road. I did here of a guy that got robbed in Hiawassee last year, he was picked up by 2 young guys in a pickup and then driven off to an isolated area. So I agree while going solo as a guy does make it more difficult to get picked up, it is safer for the hitcher. Most towns are a straight shot from the TH so being somewhat familiar with the route that the driver is to take will be beneficial and give you a clue that something is wrong if they make an unexpected detour (map and/or trail guide helps with this). Most of all be patient, as most people are conitioned that picking up hitchhikers is dangerous. It might take 30-45 minutes or more to get someone willing to pick you up.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    If you use hiking poles, it's best to collapse them and lash to your backpack.
    Quoted for truthiness.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I know in Tennessee its illegal to advertise to hitchhike (either by thumb or sign). Usually, there are lot of very nice locals that will offer a ride. I myself will stop along roads or by trailheads if see hikers during the season ask them if they need a ride into town or to a hostel.
    The same holds true for, I believe, Delaware and Maine, where the restriction is advertising. If you're simply walking and someone stops, there's no harm.

Another legality is that in most states, you can't be standing in the travel lanes themselves. Seems fairly obvious, but stand on the sidewalk if they're available, or shoulder if there are no sidewalks. And in the three states specified, just leave your thumb at your side and Tyvek sign in your pack.

Also, I believe that in CT, in areas where there are no sidewalks, you technically have to be facing oncoming traffic. Which means if you want to attempt to flag down a car while hoofing it, you need to be walking backwards to legally do so. Although I haven't really bothered to see if that's been updated in recent years.

So when in doubt, stand completely off the pavement and just walk. That way you aren't in the roadway, and you aren't soliciting.

Short story. I was hitching near the NOC one day. A big rig trucker pulled over and picked me up. After the "hello" stuff he started talking about how the government was putting all kinds of chemicals in our food to control our minds and how he wouldn't go anywhere without his gun. I said, "yep, that's where my friends are meeting me". He said, "on the side of the road", and I said, "yep". He let me out and I walked the rest of the way.

I got a ride from Rock Fish Gap all the way into Charlottesville, VA - some 20 or more miles - by chatting with day hikers coming the other way and slipping "Oh by the way, I need to find a way to Charlottesville so I can get home..." in to the conversation. Eventually I met someone who said, I'm headed back that way, meet me at my car at the parking lot. SCORE! It also happend to be a Sunday, which helped.

Getting into town in the afternoon or evening is definately easier than getting out of town in the morning. For going into town, all you need to do is stand next to the sign which says "Appalachian Trail" with your pack and wave a little as cars approch. Everyone who drives by knows what you are and where you want to go.

I'm not sure if signs help that much on the AT. People who live in or near popular trail towns see hikers all the time. If you need to get well off the trail, then a sign will help.

Before you start to hitch, put on a clean, not so smelly shirt, collapse and if possible attach the poles to the pack and put your wallet and cell phone in your pocket.

In the morning people are more in a rush to get to work, or drop the kids off at school. It also seems that most of the drivers are old or single ladies and the chances of them stopping for a guy hitch-hiking is slim to none. The ones who will give a ride are the jobbers like painters and carpenters, as they usually have a pick up truck and aren't in too much of a hurry to start thier job.

I had the most trouble trying to hitch in PA, but usually you don't have to go far so that's not a big deal. Same with NJ/NY and CT. Stuff isn't so far off the trail that hiching saves much time or effort. Usually you just waste time trying.

Which is another question, to hitch or huff it? Hitching is like fishing - you need to be patient. The person who might stop if your at the trail road crossing may not stop if your walking and already half way to town. OTOH, some will stop because you are walking. Personally, if it takes more then 15 minutes or so to score a ride, I start to walk, unless it's a really long way to town.

Finally, Having a woman with you helps a whole lot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Marty-- you are going to have a great time on your hike! I can just tell from your positive attitude. I live in Virginia and hike on the AT quite a bit, and I will be happy to give you a ride if I see you!
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

SMILE, nothing else works as well. Practie in the mirror until it does not look weird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++