WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana Need help training?Post your progress here.

Walked 5.2 miles with a day pack filed with about 20 lbs of pecans,finished in about 1.5 hrs.

Would that be uphill?

Even though South Carolina's highest point is greater than Maryland's,they both are pretty Flat.As is my neighborhood.

Images

How many pounds of pecans did you finish with? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    How many pounds of pecans did you finish with? :-P
    Ha that's what I wanted to know.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

5.2 in 1 1/2 that's a pretty good clip,you keep that up your lookin at a 50 day!nice

sorry...miles/hours/miles

Images

i climbed to the third floor of an apt. building carrying trash down and 5 gallon buckets and sheets of rock up for 7 hours.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Been there done that...and each trip I said..... I shoulda went to college,I shoulda went to college.

Good idea for a thread. 20min easy jog today with a 30 minute dog walk after. 2 hour hike in the Boise foothills with a daypack planned for tomorrow.

Images

Had two Krispy Kreme dark chocolate filled donuts, a cup of coffee and rolled my chair about 12 feet. Also lugged 427+ pounds of papers to grade in from the parking lot - about 175 yards.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

This is making me wanna goto our local park and climb Raven Rock 20 times with 30lb pack ..its equivalent to 15 flights of stairs straight up from the cape fear river. The last time we did this the day hikers thought we had a serious mental illness and everyone wanted to know if what we were preparing for or planning to do with the overweighted packs...lol

This should be a good motivator and it's also another piece of evidence of the supernatural powers of bacon

I copied the story below, but there's a good video on the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...194316479.html
    New powerlifting world-record holder is a 13-year-old girl from Colorado

Like many female powerlifters, Abbey Watson doesn't typically get a lot of press attention. Holding eight different world records for her relatively slight weight class -- 105.75 pounds -- as well as 23 U.S. and Colorado state records, Watson is the kind of peak performer who has forced the general public to take notice. To achieve that success, Watson spends at least three very early mornings each week in the gym, doing deadlifts and squats while surrounded by very large men.

Yet, it's what Watson does after that gym time that makes her stand out: She goes to middle school.

That's right: A 13-year-old eighth-grader in Colorado happens to be a powerlifting world-record holder. For the record (no pun intended), Watson owns the junior marks for bench press, squat, deadlift and total weight in the 105-pound unequipped division, among others. Most notably, Watson set the world record for squats in her division, lifting 143.3 points. She also deadlifts 176 pounds, close to twice her body weight.

As covered by Denver CBS affiliate KUSA in the video you see above, what's even more impressive is the speed at which Watson has become one of the world's best; she only started lifting three years ago.

"I think that if someone would have told me at the beginning of sixth grade I'd be lifting this much, I would never believe them," Watson, who now holds a deadlift record of 176 pounds, told KUSA.

While the early morning workouts and quirky weightlifting clothing -- check out her BACON socks -- could mark Watson out for some peer jibes, the fact that she is constantly proving herself with massive feats of strength ensures they don't. Rather, the eighth-grader said that when she tells male classmates how much she lifts, they tend to be intimidated.

That may not have been the initial goal when Watson's father, Steve Watson, first brought her to a weightlifting center for one of his workouts when she was a precocious sixth-grader.

He simply hoped the one-off visit would inspire her to develop positive workout habits.

His daughter certainly has those now, as well as a room full of trophies, thanks in part to a psychological advantage her coach says may be her secret weapon.

"I think the reason Abbey is lifting weight that surpasses adults is because she's never been told she can't do it," Watson's head coach Jonathan Sabar told KUSA. "It's been amazing watching her grow and develop, and at this point, she is doing weights that are as heavy if not heavier than what full grown women do."

Awesome. It's all about attitude, motivation, proper technique, and of course, bacon.
    Showing this to my daughter for sure.

Good post John thanks,that's amazing

CF97 > Everything Else.

I work at a YMCA, so I get a free pass. I workout on the treadmill (4 mph, and the incline all the way up), Stairmaster and or elliptical for an hour to and hour and a half six days a week. Before all the know hit, I was walking a couple miles a day with about 15-20lbs in my pack.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

I started a morning paper route this week, for the exercise and extra cash. Feels good. Hope it will get me going and provide a great start to the day once I adjust to the 4am start.

I'm taking a 5 miler make, that 4 miler cause it's been a big day

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Participate in a Zumba! one-hour class. Nothin' like it.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Participate in a Zumba! one-hour class. Nothin' like it.--Kinnickinic
    Have a friend in a Spin class...thats way to much cardio for me,I'm more like a tai chi guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++