WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Images

I just hike with a bigger tarp. The dog sleeps under it, usually right next to my hammock.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Thanks. Reasonable answer.

Hey AT_Anna.......are you getting this?

No?

I guess she (and Elvis) have left the building .

Keep the thread going. Someone must be learning something!
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-26-2012 at 18:21.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    RetroGear - The PCT and lots of the CDT are designed and maintained for use by horses. But the rest of your rant is right on! Kanga - No one might say anything about your dogs to your face, but how many have cursed under thier breath? I know I have many times as it was pointless to say anything to the owner. I've been barked at, nipped out, charged at and even adopted by dogs who decided they would rather hike with me then thier owners. I've seen dogs who had to be tied to a tree to get thier pack on in the morning and dragged back out onto the trail. To be fair, I've meet dogs who were a joy to have around. Too bad these are the exception, not the rule. The thing is, most people who take thier dog on the trail shouldn't.
    Actually, if all dog owners behaved like Kanga (with respect to dogs, at least) there wouldn't be any animosity towards dogs. Unfortunately not one dog owner in a hundred trains their dogs as well as Kanga does, or keeps a sharp enough eye on their dogs.

You know, at the end of a long day of hiking, you and your dog reach camp. You're tired. You've got stuff to do. It's really much easier to let the dog amuse himself while you do your chores. Several people have admired the dog, so surely they won't mind... Wrong. A cute, friendly dog on a leash is quite different than a dog who is running around sniffing at your food, muddying the water source, walking on your sleeping bag, and threatening to knock over your cook stove. Your dog shouldn't become MY problem.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Side note:

If you choose to hike with your dog, make sure he/she is protected from ticks (dogs can get lyme, too).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I too have a hammock for when I go solo, but typically just bring a small tent for the two of us I when I bring him along. If your dog is anything like mine, he/she probably won't settle down unless right up next to you. I suppose you could use a sheet of Tyvek (House wrap), and support it somehow with your hiking poles, cord or stakes. While not "free standing", it's pretty cheap & very ultralight. Maybe even enlarge your hammock fly somehow to cover more area beneath for fido. Just a thought.

pistol-packin' hammock hanger with a dog rockerZ71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BareBerries View Post
    I too have a hammock for when I go solo, but typically just bring a small tent for the two of us I when I bring him along. If your dog is anything like mine, he/she probably won't settle down unless right up next to you. I suppose you could use a sheet of Tyvek (House wrap), and support it somehow with your hiking poles, cord or stakes. While not "free standing", it's pretty cheap & very ultralight. Maybe even enlarge your hammock fly somehow to cover more area beneath for fido. Just a thought.
    My dog likes to sleep directly under the hammock, after clearing away the top layer of leaves and dirt to make herself a "nest". I'd probably get a tent if I was going to take her out in really cold weather

Images

Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle, Keith Moon, Pete Townshend broke in to an animal shelter and released dogs unlawfully. The crime was captured on security cameras.

the Who let the dogs out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Have any of you dog owners come up with a good freestanding dog shelter that doesn't weigh a ton?

For hammockers using a small tarp and hiking with a dog, this could be a good find.
    Rugby plants himself directly under my arse of the hammock so I cut the bottom off an old tent and use the sheet as a small ground cloth to keep him out of the dirt and rain... haven't found any pad he likes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle, Keith Moon, Pete Townshend broke in to an animal shelter and released dogs unlawfully. The crime was captured on security cameras.

the Who let the dogs out.
    You always come thru!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

No leash? That's is the problem I have with dogs. If your dog comes charging at me, you better expect it to get a swift kick to the head and deal with it. I have kicked quite a few verbal command dogs that didn't listen to their owner. You may love your dog but I don't.

Journal Entries
    Images

Didn't read the toss or the thread... What a Maroon!

Testing

Dogs Cats Birds Horses
    Percent of households owning 37.2% 32.4% 3.9% 1.8%
    Number of households owning 43,021,000 37,460,000 4,453,000 2,087,000
    Average number owned per household 1.7 2.2 2.5 3.5
    Total number in United States 72,114,000 81,721,000 11,199,000 7,295,000

yea it works
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-28-2012 at 11:25.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hah! I think that was the easiest flame bait I ever set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Have any of you dog owners come up with a good freestanding dog shelter that doesn't weigh a ton?

For hammockers using a small tarp and hiking with a dog, this could be a good find.
    I have inquired over the years at Dicks and Sears and the like to sell those little desplay tents,though my dog would never fit, that sure would make a good shelter and make your pet feel secure.

The real question is manners, the trail was built for humans, the shelters were built for humans, Humans have the 2nd right to use the trail, only wildlife has the first right , not your unleashed Dog. It does not matter who likes dogs,cats,birds or horses What matters is taking away someone' experience of pleasure on the trail, Being approached by an unleashed dog does and should cause tension in a person, which in return is taking away someone else's pleasure of the trail It does not matter how good your dog is the other person does not know it nor should not have to worry about whether that dog will bite or not. As for someone complaining just because you do not hear complaints may just mean that they are not saying anything about it. I have been approached by dogs many times and each time I think how inconsiderate of the person who owns that dog.

Images

Some of us like to see wildlife. On the trail the presence of dogs means the critters all stay clear. I WANT to see bear and moose, etc. A sniff of dog means no animals. Under control? Really. No barking at every single hiker that comes into the shelter? Day or night ? Even if you are tented 30 yards away? I have had dogs all my life. I've met a few nice ones on the trail but the majority have been a pain. Owners are always saying "he never did THAT before."
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Didn't read the toss or the thread... What a Maroon!

Testing

Dogs Cats Birds Horses
    Percent of households owning 37.2% 32.4% 3.9% 1.8%
    Number of households owning 43,021,000 37,460,000 4,453,000 2,087,000
    Average number owned per household 1.7 2.2 2.5 3.5
    Total number in United States 72,114,000 81,721,000 11,199,000 7,295,000

yea it works
    I have no clue of what this has to do with dogs on the Appalachian Trail.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I have no clue of what this has to do with dogs on the Appalachian Trail.
    I think it means there are lots of dogs in the US so tough darts, get used to it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Just be courteous and let everyone know that there are no rules about having dogs in the shelter and if they don't like it they can set up their tent. Your dog has just as much right to stay there as people do.
    Although I'm a dog lover, and generally prefer dogs to their owners--I strongly disagree with this statement. If you're hiking with a dog, don't plan on staying in ANY shelters, unless you find one that's completely empty, late in the evening when no one is likely to show up. You will be more popular with your hiking peers by respecting their space. People don't like wet dogs shaking off on their sleeping bags, and anyone with an air mattress will rest easier with your dog outside the shelter. And people have a right to feel that way, too. Pack a roomy tent, and be prepared to spend a lot of time in it. That's your responsibility as a dog owner, so if you don't want to set up your tent in the rain day after day, consider leaving Santa's Little Helper at home.

And remember that many hostels and motels along the way don't allow dogs either...so if you like to socialize in towns, you'll have to make sacrifices there too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    The real question is manners, the trail was built for humans, the shelters were built for humans, Humans have the 2nd right to use the trail, only wildlife has the first right , not your unleashed Dog. .
    wow...............

So a wasp nest has the right to a shelter? Who gave the animals the right? When did they get it?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I believe that WOO's intention was to remind people that this sub-forum was setup specifically to allow dog owners to discuss hiking with their dogs without people jumping in to complain about how they hate dogs on the trail. Sadly it is impossible to have a productive discussion in this sub-forum without the "I want to rant about how I was annoyed by a dog on the trail last year if it ever happens again I'll pepper spray the bastard" crowd jumping in every other post.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I think it means there are lots of dogs in the US so tough darts, get used to it.
    Winged monkeys cant fly.... Bamboo Bob.... Wow elevated to Awesome Hiking Status!

Honest - as soon as I read your post my original thought went out the window... All is good - and WM ... life is good - I don't really care,,,, Peace,

Woo

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++