WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove

There are a lot of good alcohol stoves out there. Finding ones that simmer well? Well, that's not quite so easy. Today, I'd like to look at the FeatherFire stove which not only simmers well, but does it on the fly without any change of equipment or having to take the pot off the stove.

The FeatherFire.

In order to simmer, you have to have some pretty decent flame control. The FeatherFire does. Here's the high flame:

And here's the low flame:

What's the secret? Please join me as I take a look at The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Oh, yes, and you really can cook on it.

HJ

HJ that is a fine looking stove.

My biggest issue with my stoves that I use, wasted fuel and having to burn off whats left! The flames get so high that I can't put it out. I have an MSR Titan Kettle. I will probably never have to get another pot, ever. Its the best most durable pot. Over 3000 miles on it and I can tell the pot stand will be perfect. The simmer feature is huge for me. Im sold. Thanks HJ for listing this one!
    Last edited by Chaco Taco; 01-22-2012 at 10:48.

That XL looks sweet as well and answers the pot stand issue with the Feather

The whole thing is so light that setting it up and getting it lit in a wind can be a problem.

I put a small rock inside under those conditions to keep it from being blown over while getting it set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    HJ that is a fine looking stove.

My biggest issue with my stoves that I use, wasted fuel and having to burn off whats left! The flames get so high that I can't put it out. I have an MSR Titan Kettle. I will probably never have to get another pot, ever. Its the best most durable pot. Over 3000 miles on it and I can tell the pot stand will be perfect. The simmer feature is huge for me. Im sold. Thanks HJ for listing this one!
    No wasted fuel on this one. Just close the vents and pop on the little snuffer cap. When I say little, I mean little: 2g.

I cooked pancakes with it the other day. I filled it with about 2oz HEET. I ran it for at least 45 minutes. I still had about 0.75oz left, maybe more. I snuffed it, and then I vacuumed it all up with the PackaFeather cap, right back into the bottle. No wasted fuel.

I haven't used it, but check out their XL stove too. Looks like roughly the same stove but with better pot supports.

HJ

Images

I've been using mine since my 2008 PCT thru. Great stove.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I've been using mine since my 2008 PCT thru. Great stove.
    Nice. How have the pot supports held up? Any problems?

HJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikin_jim View Post
    Nice. How have the pot supports held up? Any problems?

HJ
    The pot supports have held out fine. The only problem I've had is when I've set up the stove on uneven ground and one of the pot supports slides out of position. The pots was a little unstable, but I never spilled dinner. There's a loop in the wire that of the pot support that fits against the bottom of the stove when in operating position and holds in place via friction. I suppose I could tighten it up with a needle nose pliers. In the meantime, I'm just a little careful about having a firm, flat surface to set the stove on. BTW, I use mine with a 1.3L Evernew TI pot.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I have the XL and especially like the fact that you can snuff it out and reuse any left over fuel. I believe it's also the most efficient of all my alkys. Oh yeah...you can also use Esbit type tabs with it. It's pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    The pot supports have held out fine. The only problem I've had is when I've set up the stove on uneven ground and one of the pot supports slides out of position. The pots was a little unstable, but I never spilled dinner. There's a loop in the wire that of the pot support that fits against the bottom of the stove when in operating position and holds in place via friction. I suppose I could tighten it up with a needle nose pliers. In the meantime, I'm just a little careful about having a firm, flat surface to set the stove on. BTW, I use mine with a 1.3L Evernew TI pot.
    Yeah, the pot supports are only held by friction. On uneven ground, if the pressure comes from the wrong angle, they can pop out. I know one other guy who has had the same problem.

But no problems with bending?

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    I have the XL and especially like the fact that you can snuff it out and reuse any left over fuel. I believe it's also the most efficient of all my alkys. Oh yeah...you can also use Esbit type tabs with it. It's pretty sweet.
    Do you have any pics of the XL you can post? I've seen some pics here on Whiteblaze, but I'm looking for more.

And how does the top stay on the fuel bowl? Just gravity?

HJ

Images

Would love to see a review on the XL if you get the chance, and a comparison on some different diameter pots.

I use this stove too. Highly recommended. And great customer service too!

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Quote Originally Posted by Megapixel View Post
    I use this stove too. Highly recommended. And great customer service too!
    that is, the XL version.

2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

Megapixal, what pot do you use with yours? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Megapixal, what pot do you use with yours? thanks
    i'm using an evernew 1.9L titanium non stick with frying pan lid (sounds heavy, but not bad for 2 people) and love the versatility of the frying pan / simmer combo.

for my solo trip i will down size to the smallest i can find that still provides that fry pan lid.

2012 Springer-Erwin

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Would love to see a review on the XL if you get the chance, and a comparison on some different diameter pots.
    I think that's an excellent idea. I'm going to try to arrange that.

HJ

Images

Thanks hiking_jim. Will be waiting for news of it.

Images

No problems whatsoever with bending of pot supports. They are a really stiff grade of wire.
    Handlebar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++