WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    No problems whatsoever with bending of pot supports. They are a really stiff grade of wire.
    OK, good to know. Thanks.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

ordering the XL for my LT hike

Jim,
    Can this be used with a Caldera cone? I really like the idea of an adjustable flame as I do more than boil water for meals.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Jim,
    Can this be used with a Caldera cone? I really like the idea of an adjustable flame as I do more than boil water for meals.
    I've been asked that by several people. I think it should work just fine. The 12-10 stove that comes with a Caldera Cone is a chimney type stoe. The FeatherFire (or XL) is also a chimney stove, so the basic fundamentals are in place.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going on a night hike tonight, so I'll probably try it out then. I did a brief internet search, and I found some posts on forums where people had used a FeatherFire with a cone and had good results.

I'll report more soon.

HJ

This stove looks like a real winner. I'm going to copy the simmer design and apply it to my supercat (I'm a diy snob, and cheaper than a..........[whatever works for your imagination]).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    This stove looks like a real winner. I'm going to copy the simmer design and apply it to my supercat (I'm a diy snob, and cheaper than a..........[whatever works for your imagination]).
    Hey, if you're handy that way, why not? If you come up with something, post a few pics here. I for one am always interested.

HJ

Feather Stove XL 002.jpgFeather Stove XL 003.jpgFeather Stove XL 005.jpg

1. All parts 2/3. Adjustable wind screen and snuffer

Everything except the windscreen packs into one part of the stove with the plastic lid sealing all contents. The little wire coming off the side adjusts the air flow via a worm screw.

Quote Originally Posted by hikin_jim View Post
    Do you have any pics of the XL you can post? I've seen some pics here on Whiteblaze, but I'm looking for more.

And how does the top stay on the fuel bowl? Just gravity?

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Everything except the windscreen packs into one part of the stove with the plastic lid sealing all contents. The little wire coming off the side adjusts the air flow via a worm screw.
    Nice. Thanks for posting those.

OK, maybe that's why the fuel bowl and the combustion chamber aren't permanently affixed -- so the other parts can fit inside. That's pretty nice that the pot support fits inside the body of the stove. Hmm. Yep, I need to get one of these.

Thanks again,

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Feather Stove XL 002.jpgFeather Stove XL 003.jpgFeather Stove XL 005.jpg

1. All parts 2/3. Adjustable wind screen and snuffer

Looks familiar: http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html

A definite improvement, but the basic idea is the same.

I made one back in 2001, with the simmer ring, and actually baked a brownie in a metal cup.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-25-2012 at 18:05.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Wow, love the simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Wow, love the simplicity.
    Yeah, I guess that's the trade off. DIY jobs are really super simple. The fancy ones like a FeatherFire are a lot easier to use, but they're not as simple.

I gotta say though that it sure is nice not to have to reach into where the flame is to adjust a simmer ring like I do on a DIY job or on my Trangia. With the FeatherFire, I don't have to take the pot off, and I don't have to physically adjust anything at the stove. HJ is happy camper.

HJ

I think I am sold, I am going to pick up the XL right now. Thanks for everyone's input!

Images

Yeah, I guess that's the trade off. DIY jobs are really super simple. The fancy ones like a FeatherFire are a lot easier to use, but they're not as simple.

I gotta say though that it sure is nice not to have to reach into where the flame is to adjust a simmer ring like I do on a DIY job or on my Trangia. With the FeatherFire, I don't have to take the pot off, and I don't have to physically adjust anything at the stove. HJ is happy camper.

HJ
    You are not going to be able to adjust the flame while the stove is on the ground with a windscreen around it. If you have the windscreen partially open the draft coming in will cause the flame to go off center and you will not be able to make the adjustment to simmer.

A simmer mode on the feather fire is one that causes the flame to be at a " flame liftoff" situation. In other words "easy to go out"

The stove is finicky. I've tested it to the max. I've tested it on trail and on bench. I've sold mine. Too many stoves (sometimes)

In other words the FeatherFire is a fair weather stove when it comes to simmering. Get a canister stove

Interesting. I guess my experience of the stove is a little different. I just ran the control cable underneath the edge of the windscreen. The cable is less than a mm in diameter. I could see the flame shape through one of the vent holes in my windscreen. No problem.

HJ

Images

Interesting. I guess my experience of the stove is a little different. I just ran the control cable underneath the edge of the windscreen. The cable is less than a mm in diameter. I could see the flame shape through one of the vent holes in my windscreen. No problem.

HJ
    Easy to do on your picnic table or work bench

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Easy to do on your picnic table or work bench
    lol. Yes indeed, you are right about that.

In this case, however, I was testing in a creek bed.

The stove was well below eye level, but I could see in through one of the vents in the windscreen. I just ran the little control cable underneath the edge of the screen. Worked fine for me.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++