WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Maps

Default Maps

I am looking at the ATC site for maps. I already ordered and received Georgia and North Carolina. I was looking at getting the next few maps, they have one for Tennessee and North Carolina and a separate Smoky Mountain map. Is the Smoky Mtn map necessary? Or can I get the info I need from the Tennessee and North Carolina map?

I know a lot of people suggest a guidebook, I like maps and would prefer that to a book I suppose. If in all honesty I would save money and the book is all I need, then do, tell me, I might change my mind.

THANKS ALL!!

Default Smokies Map

You won't need the store bought map for the smokies. When you get there they have a free one in the box where you get the back country permit. They ask for a 1 dollar donation. Appalachian Trail maps in general are quite a mess. Most are out of date and overpriced. The various trail clubs make huge profits from selling maps. The PATC is one of the worst clubs for ripping off hikers, they sell several maps that are less than 1 day's hike. Most of there maps are printed on one side only and full of worthless commercials for the PATC. One of the things we can do is just not buy them. It takes more time but you can get used maps here at this web page and you can also down-load and print your own maps.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    You won't need the store bought map for the smokies. When you get there they have a free one in the box where you get the back country permit. They ask for a 1 dollar donation. Appalachian Trail maps in general are quite a mess. Most are out of date and overpriced. The various trail clubs make huge profits from selling maps. The PATC is one of the worst clubs for ripping off hikers, they sell several maps that are less than 1 day's hike. Most of there maps are printed on one side only and full of worthless commercials for the PATC. One of the things we can do is just not buy them. It takes more time but you can get used maps here at this web page and you can also down-load and print your own maps.
    Ever stop and think that those trail clubs are the ones who actually, you know, maintain the trail so it's walkable. Some of the maps aren't the greatest, but overall they are solid, and very much sufficient with regards to being able to navigate by them. Is this free Smokie's map just a standard park strip map, or an actual topographic map?

When I went through, the National Geographic map(I think it was NG) was the map the ATC used for the Smokies. So, if you want a map for the Smokies, that's what you'd get. The Tennessee and NC mapset doesn't include the Smokies, or at least didn't in 2008.

Images

i picked up the new edition of NC/TN this past summer, came with NG smokies map, which was a topo with elevations, as part of a 3 map set.i agree with buffjeff, nothing wrong with supporting any trail maintaining organization.
    maps arent necessary to hike the AT at all, as its clearly and regularly marked, except for a few sections above tree line.I like maps, though , to plan emergency exit routes, and because im impulsive, i like to explore, to boldy go where no man has gone before(aside from the countless thousands,of course).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBearK View Post
    I am looking at the ATC site for maps. I already ordered and received Georgia and North Carolina. I was looking at getting the next few maps, they have one for Tennessee and North Carolina and a separate Smoky Mountain map. Is the Smoky Mtn map necessary? Or can I get the info I need from the Tennessee and North Carolina map?

I know a lot of people suggest a guidebook, I like maps and would prefer that to a book I suppose. If in all honesty I would save money and the book is all I need, then do, tell me, I might change my mind.

THANKS ALL!!
    If you like maps you will not be diappointed in the smoky mountain map its a great looking map.

Images

I have both an ALDHA Companion for data (even though I have NO plan to thru-hike), and maps for sections I hike. I don't like the ATC maps as much as I like the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated ones. If you're a section hiker IMO the NG TI maps are the best if they're available for the areas you hike. Great for planning loops and such as the show greater detail, features, and more trails than the ATC maps.

don't discount the guide books. most have a lot of useful info. i notice the 2009 thru hiker guidebook lists the total trail lenth at 2178.3. a few miles have been added.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I have both an ALDHA Companion for data (even though I have NO plan to thru-hike), and maps for sections I hike. I don't like the ATC maps as much as I like the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated ones. If you're a section hiker IMO the NG TI maps are the best if they're available for the areas you hike. Great for planning loops and such as the show greater detail, features, and more trails than the ATC maps.
    Oh yes, I'm sorry met to say the Smoky Mt.(Nat Geo map).thanks,you ole' 4 eye buzzard.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I did the Smokies with the elevation profile only and really missed having the main map for it. NC TN does not cover the Smokies. The specific guidebook for the section is not needed, but the Companion or Awol's guide is necessary for any hike, imo.

You can resell the maps later (but I keep all of mine)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

thanks everyone, been buying the ATC maps along the way and think I will pick up the AWOL guide in the next few weeks, getting a chance to look at an older one Friday.

++ New Posts ++