WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    This thread is feeding right into my current dilemma. I was planning an 8-weeker from Erwin to Fayetteville, then hitch my way over to Gettysburgh and end my trip with a charge across the battlefield. PA is my home state and I am a giant civil war nerd, so that seemed perfect. But now I have to cut my trip down to 6.5 weeks, and I can't decide whether to start up in Damascus or let go of my silly fantasy ending and finish in Harper's. I was leaning towards the former, but seeing how much people loved Roan is driving me nuts. AHHHHH!!!

I'm starting in early April, btw....
    Finish at Harper's Ferry, where there's still a lot of Civil War history to be found. I'd pick Erwin-to-Damascus anyday over Maryland. However, you might run into a touch of weather over Roan and Grayson Highlands in April. Bring your 15-degree bag (or warmer)!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

VA311 to my home just off the blue ridge parkway near salt pond road.. my heart and hiking shoes will forever be there

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    Oh, and for bonus points Rangely is a cool town and Caratunk has a microbrewery, restaurant, hot tub, live bands, and whitewater rafting center. From Pierce Pond Shelter (arguably the best shelter location on the trail), you can take a short detour and get a pancake breakfast in the morning but this has to be pre-arranged. You also get to take the canoe across the Kennebec River right before coming to the road that takes you to Caratunk.

Monson has Shaw's and the Lakeshore House. Then Whitehouse Landing is a resupply point and camp in the 100-mile Wilderness where the owner picks you up on a boat and you are fed really well. Then you end at Katahdin.
    Cooper Brook Falls Shelter is a close second to Pierce Pond shelter in my book.

Def. Northern Maine (coming from a "halfer").
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Some of us folks are imune to the lyme thing.

Erwin to Damascus hands down...
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Journal Entries
    Images

Also like That there side of Va about 30 miles South of Front Royal and before that there goin back for a week. Very fine views plus plenty of feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Finish at Harper's Ferry, where there's still a lot of Civil War history to be found. I'd pick Erwin-to-Damascus anyday over Maryland. However, you might run into a touch of weather over Roan and Grayson Highlands in April. Bring your 15-degree bag (or warmer)!
    Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm starting to lean to at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    There are so many nice stretches it's hard to prioritize. Everytime I'm asked, I give 2 answers:

2. North Carolina 1st 2 weeks of May - Hot Springs over Roan Mountain to Rt. 19E. (Also recommended by Slo'goen in Post 11). I thoroughly enjoyed this part, especially the profusion of wildflowers.
    Might keep in mind that the trail will be quite populated along this stretch at this particular time--just sayin' in case you are wanting solitude.

I have to agree with most of what I'm reading.
    I've returned to Mt. Rogers area, and to the Three Ridges area in VA. Both great for short trips. Planning to return to the area around McAfee Knob and north - Tinker Cliffs - this spring. I dream about going back to Maine in September. i dream of taking two weeks to hike the 100 mile wilderness, since I won't have trail legs! With a zero at White House Landing. And long lunches at Rainbow Ledges and Rainbow Lake and all of the ponds. Ahhhh. . .
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Hey Zim if I had 6.5 weeks and hadn't hiked the south I would hike from Springer to Pearisburg over say Damascus to Harpers Ferry, hands down. Civil War aside of course. Georgia has some great sections, the Nantahalas are great, NOC areas is beautiful, the Smokies rock (crowds to prove it haha) then the Roan Highlands, down into Dennis Cove and Laurel Falls, across Watuga Lake and the Tennessee Turnpike into Damascus, up the Grayson Highlands, down acrosss I 80 and a swim in Dismal Falls before reaching Pearisburg.

I might be hiking central Virginia this year, haven't decided yet, doing the Long Trail first, should be done by early August, then thinking about 3-4 weeks somewhere.

roan highlands
    virginia
    springer to erwin
    whites
    maine
    vermont
    mass
    deli to deli hikes thru NY/NJ
    ANYWAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-25-2012 at 23:57.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    This is very hard - it would be easier to list the ho hum areas of the trail but I'm trying for some highlights here:

South to North

NOC to Fontana Dam - late Spring / Fall
    GSMNP late Spring / Fall
    Erwin, TN through the Roan Highlands still cool in summer
    Damascus, VA through Grayson Highlands - maybe to Partnership Shelter (shelter w/ shower) summer is fine
    Punchbowl Shelter to the Priest, VA summer is fine
    Shenandoah National Park and North to Harper's Ferry - Roller Coaster late summer or fall
    Bear Mountain NY , Hudson River through CT later summer / fall
    Vermont - Stratton Pond, Little Rock Pond late summer to fall
    New Hampshire - Glencliff to Gorham - Franconia Notch and Mt. Washington -hardest hiking on AT August / Sept
    All of Maine - it's amazing - esp, Monson North - Southern Maine is 2nd hardest hiking on trail July-Sept
    THE ROLLER COASTER! That's one of the WORST sections.
    Be Prepared

CT/NY boarder to Greylock any time of year. Its never the same hike twice!
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

Journal Entries
    Images

Jeff the Bennington to Manchester thing is cool except it now takes me 3 plus days. Well with my age and knees and work and all that I gotta set aside 4 days. In the overall picture of working for a living and having brought up three boys. I do try and hike in week off things as of late. Heck did the Long trail in two in my 40's. But damn it 40 up north is hard in a long weekend, But hey the rush of doing it brings me back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Blackcloud my daddy called em the wee wee's. That sectin south of front royal is difficult but a lot of fun. In my head.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    THE ROLLER COASTER! That's one of the WORST sections.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Blackcloud my daddy called em the wee wee's. That sectin south of front royal is difficult but a lot of fun. In my head.
    The Roller Coaster is north of Front Royal. Where are the "wee wees?"

The Roller Coaster? I did this section back in June. Actually from the James River to Harpers Ferry. And loved every bit of it. By the time I got to the Roller Coaster, I actually found it kind of fun. Having water after each PUD, made it more enjoyable and the climbs were not as difficult as many claimed to be. And the beauty was great. JMHO..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++