WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default another gear list - nobo Feb. 29

Alright, keeping in mind I'll be switching sleeping bags and dropping insulation when summer rolls around, heres what I have so far...

Pack - GoLite Jam - 30 oz.

Shelter - OES 8x10 silnylon tarp w/10 stakes - 18 oz

Sleeping - Alps mountaineering 0 degree sleeping bag-60 oz (eureka silver city 30 for summer)
    - silk sleeping bag liner - 4.45 oz
    - Thermarest prolite plus - 24.5 oz
    - Tyvek ground sheet - 4 oz(? not really sure about the weight)

Kitchen - beer can alcohol stove - 0.4 oz
    - Pot stand (wire hanger) - 0.5 oz
    - windscreen - 0.6 oz
    - pot (k-mart grease pot) - 3.26 oz
    - Spoon - 0.4 oz
    - bic mini - 0.4 oz
    - fuel bottle - 1.5 oz

Clothes - hat (beanie) - 2.5 oz
    - socks - 3 oz x 3 - 9 oz
    - sock liner - 0.8 oz x 2 - 1.6 oz
    - fleece gloves - 2.9 oz
    - MH bandito gloves/mittens - 3.6 oz
    - basketball shorts - 4 oz
    - sleeping base layer (reebok) - 12 oz
    - fleece pullover (dkny from goodwill) - 13 oz
    - Cabelas superlight 750 down jackeet - 18 oz
    - raingear (dri ducks) - 11.16 oz

Misc. - headlamp - 2.85 oz
    - first aid kit - 3.9 oz
    - sunglasses - 1.39 oz
    - knife (swiss army classic) - .8 oz
    - 1L water bottle (Smart Water) - 1.4 oz
    - 2L platypus bladder - 5 oz

total 241.11 oz or 15.07 lbs base weight.
    Am I missing anything obvious?
    I've seen more spine in jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
    - Am I missing anything obvious?
    A shirt, unless you are wearing the fleece all the time.
    Long pants, unless you are wearing the shorts all the time, probably be cold.
    A hat or head covering thats not for winter.
    Water purification
    Trekking poles
    Rope to hang food.
    Stuff sacks, one food, one clothes, one sleeping bag
    AT guide
    Diary and pen
    camera
    cell phone/ charger (few pay phones)

I would drop the sunglasses.
    Is the fuel bottle weight with fuel in it? If so how long would that last?

Images

sorry, when i wrote it down it was just what was in my bag, so i wasn't including the trekking poles, or the convertible pants i have, and a shirt that i don't plan on packing away. The fuel bottle weight is empty. water purification is aqua mira. Not bringing a cell phone - this is my alone time. Forgot to include the stuff sacks. Also just got the 2012 companion.

Images

In addition to tomp's list

sleeping bag liner and base layer is redundant - I'd get rid of the liner - they twist all up anyway.

lightweight cup for hot drinks (could just be a plastic container) - drinking anything hot out of the grease pot sucks as it's aluminum and will burn your lips.

balaclava (lightweight) keeps your face and chin and neck warm, good for sleeping too - great multipurpose item all year as it makes a summer weight sleep beanie when rolled up

a backup to the bic mini - second mini or pack of matches or a few waterproof ones stashed in the first aid kit

hand sanitizer (doubles as emergency fire starter)

whistle

map and/or compass (optional - but at minimum i like having a mini compass)

Images

whistle is on the sternum strap, hand sanitizer and bic mini backup is in first aid kit. Also didn't list the bandana that will work as a balaclava because it will be worn, same as the compass which is on my watch.

Images

also, thanks guys for helping me out! I really appreciate it! I'm ready to get this show on the road!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
    whistle is on the sternum strap, hand sanitizer and bic mini backup is in first aid kit. Also didn't list the bandana that will work as a balaclava because it will be worn, same as the compass which is on my watch.
    Cool. I'm old school on having a seperate whistle. Goes on a lanyard on my neck with a minilight. Hey, even Ed Garvey got lost once going to the privy or fetching water or something (not joking).

Don't forget the duct tape!

You might keep the sunglasses --- not a lot of leaves on the trees at the end of Feb. Less essential than on other trails, but I recall using them somewhat (?)

Wow, that sleeping bag should certainly be enough, my 32 oz 20F WM bag was enough with a late Feb start for me, when on the colder nights I wore my down parka and down booties in it.

"Am I missing anything obvious?"
    Water treatment? Earplugs? Very light pack towel? Spare batteries for light source? Any sort of map and compass? Duct tape? Toilet paper? Purell? Tooth brush, paste? Camera? Paper & pencil/pen of some sort?
    Redundant somewhat with prior responses, but this is a lot of basic stuff to omit. Why is it that I/others are reviewing your list for completeness? I strongly urge folks inclined to post a gear list to FIRST read through several other complete gear lists and take the time to check their own list to make it truly complete before posting here. It’s IMO some extra effort that the list-poster should do up-front rather than ask random strangers to "check for completeness". I only started looking at this one as at first glance it looked pretty complete --- I wouldn't have looked at this to start with had I known it was not.

I suggest one or even two black plastic yard waste bags

For a late Feb start consider some sort of traction aid -- microspikes, yaktraks. I started Feb 25th and didn't want anything like that too often but it can get icy.

I suggest a lightweight larger water container to haul water to your shelter/tent site at night. Your 2 liter platypus plus 1L water bottle might do; I suggest the 3L Nalgene "canteen". You can live without this, but I found it worth carrying.

Boots or shoes, and if boots are you adding more weight for camp shoes? If shoes, consider bringing a pair of bread bags to use in camp when they’re wet.

Even with a zero degree bag, I suggest pretty beefy wool socks dedicated to sleeping (dry) in.

Have you tested the prolite plus pad at the temps you expect to encounter? I’m not saying it won’t handle it (don’t know), just suggesting that you do.

Consider that dry ducks might not last the trip; zipper went out on my dri ducks coat fairly early on, so that I bought a jacket half-way through the smokies, FWIW.

Despite a tough winter in the south, I liked a late Feb start and I hope that you do too. Note that it can be pretty windy; I used my windshirt a lot (dri ducks again might not hold up for such use), coupled with a synthetic vest while I was actually walking at the colder times. Earbags were good too, at least in my experience.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Dan,

you are going to be so light the last time I see you will be in the car

Maybe I need to purge the winter clothes just a little

HT1

My question is not so much about gear--but your level of experience. How experienced are you at hiking, camping and what is your cold weather experience with the gear that you will be using? Cold weather (long distance) hiking is probably not the place to be learning how to be a lightweight hiker. EXAMPLES: An 8' X 10' silnylon tarp isn't very much shelter in rough winds, snow, ice or cold rain--especially if the user isn't experienced at using a lightweight tarp and pitching it. It can be a very unforgiving of one's mistakes--with plenty of ways for wind, rain and snow to get in at you---or for the tarp to get ripped or blown around in rough winds. Beer can/alcohol stoves are known to be sometimes problematic in cold temps--especially if there is wind and rain. My question would be your experience level with this stove in cold and nasty weather.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

I took the opportunity to look at your blog. (Nice blog by-the-way).

On your blog, you said that you had never pitched a tarp prior to 11/21/11. You also talked about having set aside only $2,500 for use on the trail for your whole thru hike. I also got the impression that you are relatively new to using beer can stoves--with perhaps little (or no) experience using such stoves in cold and crappy weather. (I couldn't get a good feel for how much overall hiking/camping) experience you have).

Thus, it appears to me that you might have a potentially problematic combination: 1) Limited experience with your current gear--especially your lightweight gear. 2) A somewhat early start to your thru hike (February 29th)--so you might still hit some rough weather. 3) Limited money for motels, restaurants or gear replacement if you encounter rough weather or encounter problems using your gear in that rough weather. 4) PERHAPS some fairly limited camping and hiking experience--especially limited experience in winter/spring hiking conditions.

I am bit concerned about you--but not so much so that I would say that you need to change your plans. However, you probably have some work to do.

You have just five weeks to go before you start your thru hike. If I were you, I would try to get as much "hands-on" experience with that equipment as I could. I would practice cooking my daily meals outdoors on that beer can stove in all kinds of weather. I would find places to practice pitching that tarp in a variety of ways--and in a variety of conditions. If possible, I would find ways to sleep in it--especially in the nastiest of weather.

It is far better for you to "learn your lessons" NOW--close to your home (and close to stores)--in case you need to make some modifications or seek the safety of your car or residence.

I would go online and do as much reading as I could about basic camping and hiking skills--including various ways of setting up a tarp--especially in snow. I would spend time learning how to tie 5 or 6 basic camping knots and learning various cold weather hiking/camping skills and "tricks of the trade". I would do research on using beer can stoves in cold/nasty weather. Bottom line: I would spend these last five weeks trying to cram as much learning into my head as possible. (I applaud the big efforts that you have already done in this regard. However, you can never have too much learning and experience.)

As you start going lightweight--your most important pieces of "gear" are your brain and your experience.

Cold and nasty weather raises the degree of difficulty when camping and hiking--especially with lightweight gear. (I would have less concerns if you were starting your thru hike in early April or if you had $4,000-$5,000 to spend on the trail).

You seem to be an enthusiastic, intelligent, in-shape young man with a great deal of determination. You have many of the skills that you need in order to do a long hike. You have spent a year planning this hike. However, in order to increase your chances of success, it would be advisable for you to get as much hands on experience as possible with that lightweight gear in the next five weeks. With only $2,500 for use on the trail, you have very little extra money to spend on days "in town" drying out gear and riding out storms.

Best wishes and happy hiking!
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Prain4u, thank you for actually taking the time to go through all of that. Although i think you misread or misinterpreted a few things.

In regards to my budget, i wrote that "I'm PLANNING on spending around $2,500 on the trail, however I'm saving a little over $6500 to cover everything that I need to take care of before I leave, and to allow extra money when I'm gone". The 2500 number is just what I'm hoping to stay under, with 4000 in reserves.

As for my experience, the tarp is a new thing for me, I've been going out and setting it up whenever I get the chance, and have had it out on a couple trips on the Florida Trail. But you are correct in that I'm new to it, and as you have already suggested I have been reading everything I can and have been practicing.

The alcohol stove on the other hand is less new to me and I'm already very comfortable using them. I know they can be finicky in cold and windy conditions, and in this case I have the experience to know how to combat these types of situations.

Thank you for the concerns and looking out. Holy crap its only 5 weeks away! Can't wait!

Thanks for clearing some things up for me. I now feel much better regarding your chances of success (and your ability to stay warm, fed and dry in very cold and nasty weather). Have a great hike!

Images

Get on a diet and lose as much weight as you can before leaving, and I found training for the hike essential to starting and finishing 1,000 mi. in 2010. I lost 23 lbs. before starting and I walked up hills with a full pack for 2 months in advance... Good Luck!!!

++ New Posts ++