WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Snoring!!!

Default Snoring!!!

Is snoring a problem in the Shelters for hikers? I ask because I snore pretty loud and I don't want to ruin anyone's good night sleep. I have no problem sleeping in my tent if it annoys people. Just curious. Thanks!

Images

If people can't sleep through snoring, they didn't hike enough to get tired and therefore deserve to suffer. And that's why experienced hikers (should) always have earplugs if they are shelter dwellers as well. Besides, snoring is good as it keeps the bears away.

Shelter floors are harder than the tentsites, generally, and you can't find depressions which might conform to your body. I like hammocking, obviously, but I sometimes tent, and hardly ever sleep in shelters unless there's a dangerous windstorm that threatens to bring down large limbs (and even then, I try to hang my hammock in the shelter if at all possible).

Snoring shouldn't be the biggest reason not to sleep in shelters.

Others will appreciate your percieved sacrifice. .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by marty1983 View Post
    Is snoring a problem in the Shelters for hikers? I ask because I snore pretty loud and I don't want to ruin anyone's good night sleep. I have no problem sleeping in my tent if it annoys people. Just curious. Thanks!
    Many hikers bring earplugs, and with good reason. It's not just the snoring that can wake you. I prefer to tent for many reasons, snoring is just one.

When forced to stay in a shelter in the Smokies one guy kept elbowing me because of snoring. I finally told him "you poke me again and things are going to go downhill quickly for you". I then couldn't sleep because I was mad.

If you choose/forced to be in a shelter just be prepared for noise......and just deal with it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

don't worry about it...shelters are for everyone...i mean, if you are sawing logs, people will probably say something in a joking manner type way...but that's usually that...it's an understood hazard of sleeping in the shelters...see ya out there!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

I would rather listen to someone snore then I would hear them fart in their sleep!

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

It gets joked about a lot. I doubt many people have a serious problem with it because, like someone else said, most shelter-dweller thru-hikers bring earplugs or learn to bring them pretty quickly. I met a 50-or-so-year-old thru-hiker last year who said he felt bad about sleeping in shelters because he snored so hard, but he was the only person I met who said he avoided shelters specifically because of it.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Many hikers bring earplugs, and with good reason. It's not just the snoring that can wake you. I prefer to tent for many reasons, snoring is just one.

When forced to stay in a shelter in the Smokies one guy kept elbowing me because of snoring. I finally told him "you poke me again and things are going to go downhill quickly for you". I then couldn't sleep because I was mad.

If you choose/forced to be in a shelter just be prepared for noise......and just deal with it.
    In order to stop my snoring, I had one guy make this gawd awful high pitch sucking sound which did as intended, and woke me up. About the fifth time, a half hour or so before sunrise, I fixed his goose by lighting a cigarette (he asked me earlier not to smoke near the shelter and I complied). In less than a minute, he grabbed all his gear and crashed outside.

Later that day I made it to Smarts Mountain cabin and planned on staying, until this guy showed up. As soon as it was apparent he was staying I grabbed my gear and tented outside.

I guess the question is: Who should be required to tent out, the snorers or the people offended by the snorers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Later that day I made it to Smarts Mountain cabin and planned on staying, until this guy showed up. As soon as it was apparent he was staying I grabbed my gear and tented outside.
    Yep, if I'm set up in a shelter and a known "rafter rattler" shows up, I'll pack up and tent - even if it means tenting in the rain (which was probably why I was in the shelter). I'd rather deal with the wet tent then be kept up all night.

Pretty much everyone snores a little at some point, usually in the first couple of hours of deep sleep. A little quiet snoring isn't hard to deal with. But those who sound like a chainsaw with a rusted out muffler which starts the moment thier head hits the floor, continues non-stop all night and shakes the walls are something else. Even earplugs are not effective against that kind of noise level, you need full coverage ear protection like used on aircraft carriers around jet engines! Typically I'll plug in my earbuds and crank the volume up as loud as it will go and even that can't drown it completely out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I guess the question is: Who should be required to tent out, the snorers or the people offended by the snorers?
    I'd say neither. It's a shelter, open to all.

If snoring really bothers you, just bring ear plugs. They work surprisingly well. Or tent if it really gets to you I guess.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

How considerate of you to offer to tent, you will make friends along the way. Usually the loudest snorers that just don't care, like the smokers and bonfire builders, have an attitude of if you don't like it go somewhere else.
    My favorite snoring hikers are the ones that wake themselves up with the noise, then are foul all morning from lack of sleep.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

IMO, if don't want the trail name ChainSaw, are self-conscious about it, or are concerned for others, tent. You have no obligation.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Last year a lady near Harpers ferry cleared out our shelter. We all tented in the middle of the night and she was surpised to wake up alone in the shelter. She was nice about it would of moved if asked but you know "hike your own hike."

Journal Entries
    Images

I snore quite loud. During my thru whenever I slept in a shelter I would anounce; " I snore." If anyone said anything to me in the morning I would tell them that I warned them. Funny thing though, after I lost about 30 lbs. I didn't snore anymore. Most hikers don't care if you snore or not. They are too tiard and sleep right through it.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

i dont mnd snoring, i bring earplugs, and tent more often than i shelter. now farts on the other hand-noseplugs?

Journal Entries
    Images

I snore and have taken to tenting away from others. I feel guilty if my personal habits infringe on the comfort of others, even if those habits are involuntary. I wouldn't expect others to do as I do, though, as I hold myself to a higher standard than those around me.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

That's how I got the trail name "Chainsaw" on my 2011 thru!
    I always slept in a tent in consideration of my fellow hikers.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

All I have to say about snoring is it is contagious. I never snored in my life until I hit Virgina Last year, then I was in with the snorer crowed. Chances are if you are the only one snoring in the shelter, You are the only one in the shelter.

Happy Trails My Friend

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++