WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Horrible idea.
    It would be a horrible idea to move the AT, it would be beneficial to complete a thru-hikable great eastern trail to the west of SNP so that there are other great long trails to (thru)hike.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    At some point the overcrowded zoo like conditions in the SNP will motivate the ATC to move the Appalachian Trail perhaps 50 miles to the west on the other side of the valley. The huge boom in the US population and increased trail use will require it. It's just a matter of time. 10 years from now or 50 years, it's gonna happen. The Park Service wants us out anyway. Some of the hikers are currently looking for ways to lessen the pain by hitching around it or by speed hiking. Some even skip this section by "aqua-blazing" in a canoe down the river all the way to Harpers Ferry from Rockfish Gap. I know that having the trail in the park is a real money maker for the trail club, so they will be the big political resistors to the move.
    Not sure a single sentence of this is based on a single, discernible fact.
    Be Prepared

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    ....Federalizing the trail has consequences.
    It sure did. It kept the trail in existence after more and more private landowners blocked use of their lands year after year. There would be no continuous Appalachian Trail today had Congress not stepped in and bought the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I missed that one. I took the spelunking trail option through there in 2009. Those extra headlamp batteries came in handy.
    Would that be called belly blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    if you dont like crowds, then there are plenty of alternatives to go backpacking in solitude. ive spent days in the whites without seeing a soul, even in the middle of summer.
    Yes ,that can happen after a hard night of drinkin.I think that's called "sleep walking"

oops....

When I think of the SNP, I think of blueberry milkshakes, ice cold beer, hot dogs, bears, deer, a light backpack, rattlesnakes, and more blueberry milkshakes. It was terrible.

I think that they were blackberry, but I agree with you. SNP has some real attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchbackVT View Post
    When I think of the SNP, I think of blueberry milkshakes, ice cold beer, hot dogs, bears, deer, a light backpack, rattlesnakes, and more blueberry milkshakes. It was terrible.
    You are correct. I most hated most the fine eating establishment in Skyland. I had to force myself to eat 3 dinners there. Also I hated mile after mile of beautiful views and tourists giving me stuff. It was truly terrible.

Images

Given that the federal agency that manages the AT is the NPS, why would the NPS want the AT out of an area they control? I don't get it.

I have to agree with the above comment.,

Virginia Tortoise

If hiking NOBO you could pick up the Tuscarora Trail at Mathews Arm. That will eliminate about 14 miles of the AT in SNP. It will take you west, then north, then northeast about 180 miles and hook back up with the AT just south of the Darlington Shelter. I've thought about doing this myself. However, there are not many resupply points along the Tuscarora. Most of it is very remote. They have built 5 new shelters along it over the last decade or so. But, then again, a portion of it is on roads.

Images

At some point the overcrowded zoo like conditions in the SNP will motivate the ATC to move the Appalachian Trail perhaps 50 miles to the west on the other side of the valley. The huge boom in the US population and increased trail use will require it. It's just a matter of time. 10 years from now or 50 years, it's gonna happen. The Park Service wants us out anyway. Some of the hikers are currently looking for ways to lessen the pain by hitching around it or by speed hiking. Some even skip this section by "aqua-blazing" in a canoe down the river all the way to Harpers Ferry from Rockfish Gap. I know that having the trail in the park is a real money maker for the trail club, so they will be the big political resistors to the move.
    QUOTE=BlackCloud;1239587]Not sure a single sentence of this is based on a single, discernible fact.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you BlackCloud. Just another of Physarum polycephalum (Moldies) railings against SNP and PATC.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Horrible idea.
    Ditto . Getting Blackberry Milkshakes at Big Meadows would be a long walk.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    It is a good thing to have multiple parallel trails, and criss-crossing trails.
    Perhaps the future of the AT, and all trails, is an interconnected network of trails, including green connections into urban and suburban areas.
    The best defence to the encroachment of people on trails, is the counter-insurgence of trails on people. Pardon the metaphor.
    good metaphor and happening already

I don't know why thru-hikers get so bent out of shape about SNP. It's a lovely park and even though there's more traffic than other parts of the trail, I wouldn't call it crowded. Plus, it's not a private trail, it's open to the public and the more folks that visit the park, the more income they have. I had a great time through SNP last summer hiking through. The tourists were friendly and the bacon cheeseburgers every 25 miles were awesome!
    I went to college in the Harrisonburg and 50 miles west of the trail is Interstate 81 and nothing peaceful about that

I've been hiking in SNP for over 40 years. I don't believe it's any more crowded or popular now than it was in the 1970s, especially the back country. I did a 3 day 2 night section hike in the South District just last June when tourist season begins and didn't feel cramped by people at all. Met a few thruhikers but most thrus come through SNP before Memorial Day.

Re. the milkshakes and restaurants, you can easily avoid them. In fact at Loft Mountain, AT hikers have a substantial detour to reach the Wayside. At Skyland, you cross the access roads but can't even see the facilities. They're even easy to miss at Big Meadows.

The only deterioration I've seen in 40 years is the sprawl development in the Valley which is very noticable at night. And that's the Valley, not the Park. So exactly where would the re-route occur? GWNF - that only covers from Rt. 33 to Front Royal and then what - a pretty ugly valley crossing to rejoin the ridge.

If you want to hike a more remote Eastern trail in the Mid-Atlantic, hike the Allegheny Trail in WV.

Images

If crowds are a reason to move the AT from a federal holding, then it's really long overdue from Franconia to Gorham. I've never seen more people anywhere in one section of trail than on warm weekend summer and early fall days in the Whites.

At some point the overcrowded zoo like conditions in the SNP will motivate the ATC to move the Appalachian Trail perhaps 50 miles to the west on the other side of the valley. The huge boom in the US population and increased trail use will require it. It's just a matter of time. 10 years from now or 50 years, it's gonna happen. The Park Service wants us out anyway.
    LOL... They don't want us out, the AT is run by the NPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    I think the moderators should move this to the "General" category. This isn't "Trail News". This isn't a "Trail Update". This is merely someone's speculation and opinion.
    Great idea! Less hassle on my end.

I have always thought that the original AT should have been routed in the higher elevations.

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++