WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Moving the AT completely out of the SNP

At some point the overcrowded zoo like conditions in the SNP will motivate the ATC to move the Appalachian Trail perhaps 50 miles to the west on the other side of the valley. The huge boom in the US population and increased trail use will require it. It's just a matter of time. 10 years from now or 50 years, it's gonna happen. The Park Service wants us out anyway. Some of the hikers are currently looking for ways to lessen the pain by hitching around it or by speed hiking. Some even skip this section by "aqua-blazing" in a canoe down the river all the way to Harpers Ferry from Rockfish Gap. I know that having the trail in the park is a real money maker for the trail club, so they will be the big political resistors to the move.

First I've heard of that, but I'd be alright with the move. I remember, on many occasions, looking west over the valley and wondering if there were leprechauns in them there woods

Maybe not. I'm sure Congress will authorize the NPS to conduct a study on how much hikers are spending at the waysides, and other spending. This study will be funded with $2,500,000.00. After the study, a proposal will be made in congress to double the cost of all items at the waysides, thereby increasing the revenue. Our government at it's finest.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    First I've heard of that, but I'd be alright with the move. I remember, on many occasions, looking west over the valley and wondering if there were leprechauns in them there woods
    there are..

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    ?...The Park Service wants us out anyway. ....
    Speculation? Innuendo? Hearsay? The result of a comment by some disgruntled Park Service employee?

Provide proof please.

Hikers taking the easy way around to "lessen the pain"? Are these the same ones seen atop Mt. Katahdin proclaiming they "hiked the whole trail"? Don't get me started.
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-13-2012 at 10:45.

I've never found the trails in Shenandoah to be that crowded. And out of the main season down right empty. And there are plenty of other trails in the nearby National Forests. Of course the maintaining club you dislike so mush also has responsibility over most of them.
    They will move the trail in Shenandoah about the same time they move the horses out of Great Smoky. Never
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Doubtful if ever. As one who spends a lot of time in that Park, I can attest to the LACK of crowds most days. In fact, if you remove all those pesky thru-hikers who want to tramp through Shen the first week of June, the trails become downright empty save for weekender day hikes to Mary's Rock, Stony Man, and a few other points of interest.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Maybe not. I'm sure Congress will authorize the NPS to conduct a study on how much hikers are spending at the waysides, and other spending. This study will be funded with $2,500,000.00. After the study, a proposal will be made in congress to double the cost of all items at the waysides, thereby increasing the revenue. Our government at it's finest.
    This is one of the dumber comments I've seen on WB. If you're not a fan of government, I would encourage you to stay off the government-owned AT (except for the handful of miles that are still privately owned). Fortunately, there are lots of great hiking opportunities on private property.

Images

Why yes. I'd say the AT is our government at it's finest. If anything, the NPS is underfunded.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    At some point the overcrowded zoo like conditions in the SNP...
    The only part of the AT through SNP that would qualify for this is the VERY short section that merges with the Stony Man Trail. It would make much more sense in GSMNP than SNP. The lack of privies plus the volume of foot traffic through GSMNP made it far worse than SNP.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Images

might be a good idea to reroute it around the whites too, way too crowded in august(except when i get lonely).might want to shorten the trail, too. way too long.speringer to neels gap. LW says damascus hates thru hikers.
    (please note liberal use of sarcasm w/o smileys

I'm no big fan of the trail through SNP, but it ain't gonna move, ever. Though moving it west through the George Washington National Forest might not be all that bad an idea.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Given that the federal agency that manages the AT is the NPS, why would the NPS want the AT out of an area they control? I don't get it.

Typically when a trail becomes excessively overused, whatever federal agency overseeing the area (USFS, NPS, BLM) starts putting trailhead quotas and requires permits even for day hikes. Due to their popularity, a couple of trailheads that I use requires me to stop at a ranger station to pick up a dayhike permit with a limited quota during the summer months. To day hike Mt. Whitney in Caifornia, you even have to participate in a lottery to use the trailhead there. You'll see something like this long before you see them moving the AT due to too much traffic.

I heard the SMNP was installing ski lifts to carry the thru hikers across, and as long as the hiker doesn't fall out they will still be counted as a thru hiker.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by campingfever View Post
    I heard the SMNP was installing ski lifts to carry the thru hikers across, and as long as the hiker doesn't fall out they will still be counted as a thru hiker.
    I vote for moving sidewalks, like in the airports. That way you can still hike on it

Images

yogi berra quote"nobody goes there anymore- its too crowded!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm no big fan of the trail through SNP, but it ain't gonna move, ever. Though moving it west through the George Washington National Forest might not be all that bad an idea.
    Check out the route plan of the Great Eastern Trail. Nice alternative through George Washington.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Check out the route plan of the Great Eastern Trail. Nice alternative through George Washington.
    And PATC sells you those maps too.

It is a good thing to have multiple parallel trails, and criss-crossing trails.
    Perhaps the future of the AT, and all trails, is an interconnected network of trails, including green connections into urban and suburban areas.
    The best defence to the encroachment of people on trails, is the counter-insurgence of trails on people. Pardon the metaphor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    This is one of the dumber comments I've seen on WB. If you're not a fan of government, I would encourage you to stay off the government-owned AT (except for the handful of miles that are still privately owned). Fortunately, there are lots of great hiking opportunities on private property.
    This is one of the dumber comments I've seen of a comment on WB.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++