WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike question - davenport gap, TN to hot springs, NC

Hi! 3 of us are doing this 38 mile section in June over 3 days. My main question is: is this too much mileage for 3 days? (we are 36 yo & moderately fit but won't be conditioned for carrying gear or elevation). Is there another place to start that would cut about8-12 miles off? Any info regarding this section is appreciated!

Images

Should be easily doable in three days. Are you really starting at Davenport, or at I-10? Starting at the Interstate will shave a little off, and you won't miss much scenery. (State Line Branch is very pretty, though.) Plus you can park at Standing Bear Farm (or have Curtis shuttle you from Hot Springs to his place). Either way, Curtis is the go-to guy; he sure helped me out of a jam when I was there! And either one is safer parking that Davenport.

The initial climb up Snowbird can be a little tough. It's not all that steep, but it's unrelenting! Sure is nice to get to the top, and the view is great. If you're short of time on that first day, there's a nice campsite on an "island" between two creeks that come together about two miles in or so. After Snowbird, it's a cake walk.

Images

I agree that it would be better to start at I-40, and agree it is a tough climb up to Max Patch. But it is doable for you young guys and you will see some beautiful scenery. Bluff Mtn. is a bit of a climb but not too bad.

I recently did this section and it was a great hike. I did it in three days without problems.

I don't have many details of the hike in front of me right now but here's what I recall:

Day 1
    Started at DP Gap, lunched and napped at Snowbird and ended up at Groundhog Creek shelter. This was my short mileage day. About 9 miles I think.

Day 2
    Lunch on top of Max Patch and ended the day at Walnut Mtn shelter. Around 13 or so miles.

Day 3
    Lunch at Bluff Mtn summit and walked into Hot Springs around 5 p.m. or so.

The good folks at Bluff Mountain Outfitters can shuttle you to DP Gap from Hot Springs so you can walk to your car. Luckily this is my home town area so I had a family member drop me off at the Gap and my wife picked me up.

Start at Max Patch to shave off some miles but that for me becomes a two day hike.

Also, +1 on a good reference for Curtis at Standing Bear.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll second beaudetious' plan. Keep that first day on the shorter side, especially as you're not used to major climbs. I'd consider parking at Standing Bear Hostel, as that avoids a steep sub-mile climb from I-40. Note that Walnut Mtn. Shelter is pretty old (new roof, but the floor had holes in it a few years ago), and the spring is more of a big puddle. Consider camping in the cleared field below the shelter, or walk another mile or so to some flat ground in Kale Gap.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I just hiked this section in Oct 2011. Here is what I did;
    Day one: 1/2 half-day, I-40 to Groundhog Shelter (started at 2pm);
    Day two: Groundhog shelter to Lemon Gap (camped)
    Day three: Lemon Gap to Deer Mountain Shelter (spent extra time on Max Patch)
    Day four: 1/4th day, Deer Mountian Shelter to Hot Springs by 10am.

This could easily have been done in 3 days while still enjoying the views.
    BTW, I am 57yrs old and slightly overweight, so you should have no trouble making this happen, Enjoy!!

Thank you all for your recommendations! Much help!

Images

Hey Eric. I went to Clearwater High when there was only one HS there.

Dirty little secret-You can drive to the top of Snowbird and car camp there.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

++ New Posts ++