WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What new inventions or gear changes do you want to see?

This is kind of a general question. What new gear inventions or changes to existing gear would you like to see all these companies make in 2012? I would like to see a backpack that carries itself, but the chances of a hover-pack seem slim. How about you all?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'd like to see a synthetic material match the weight/warmth ratio of down.

Journal Entries
    Images

serious?...............................
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

A ruggedized waterproof device that is a cell phone, has very high resolution e-ink or similar screen, and can turn off the cell capabilities and use lower power levels for gps-only and mp3's, a decent camera that allows shots to be taken quickly without having to wait for the cell phone to boot completely. Let it have a modular battery bay that has an option for using AA batteries. The gps should allow standard Garmin topo maps along with freely available topo maps, and also be able to use gpx tracks and waypoints.

More realistically, I'd like to see a minimalist shoe made specifically for long distance hikers. It would either have a denser EVA midsole, or a PU midsole to help absorb rocks. The last would be based on the wide swollen feet of long distance hikers. Also, a toe protector and zero drop.

It'd be great if there was an affordable replacement for the BPL Thoroughfare hiking pants. Those were incredibly light, tough, and had a DWR treatment that helped it dry quickly.

A 50 gram headlight that uses AA batteries and puts out 750+ lumens in a spot+flood beam pattern, with the emphasis on spot, and also has a very low setting (~0.1 lumens).

Kahtoola crampons made out of titanium.

Never Wet, and have it actually deliver on its promises at a great price.

Fabric that's like supplex, but that mosquitoes can't bite through. Or an efficient device that uses no more than a pair of AA batteries and uses lasers to kills ticks and mosquitoes.

A camera that can make me take pictures of animals that looks like animals instead of tiny blurs. Birds especially.

Journal Entries
    Images

wow yea I read that and talk about a good thing and focused.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Default I'd like to see

I'd like to see a clone that could take my place at work while I go hiking.

I'ld like to see them finally develop a water filtration system that will protect the purity of our most precious bodily fluids.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'ld like to see them finally develop a water filtration system that will protect the purity of our most precious bodily fluids.
    Are you trying to drink your pee?

Images

Cheap dehydrated delicious, nutritious and auspicious backpacking food. $7 for a weak tasting "gourmet" dinner is too expensive. I like cooking so no rush on this.

Robot. One that can carry everything (ok 100 lb limit), and cook as good as my wife.
    But no talking.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Inflatable cheese slice,no need for rain cover and it keeps the sun off you doubles as a sleep pad.

Images

Has anyone ever seen a Kite surfing kite? Well it has a rigid shade due to its frame. They needed it to float on the water so the frame is just pressurized air in a chamber. Why cant that be done for tents? Then I could save another pound and not take my hiking poles now that I have a nice light L- UL load.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

Tuswm. That is done already by Nemo.

Vapor barrier boots like the Micky Mouse boot, but much lighter and more comfortable. Seriously, the Mouse boots are the only thing I know that is reliably warm in very cold and wet weather for extended periods. Time for a comfy replacement.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'd like to see a minimalist shoe made specifically for long distance hikers.

Try Inov-8 talon 212 they work great on long distance hikes.

I think its a strenght issue. Titanium is lighter but not as strong as steel which I think they are currently made from. Good enough for pots but maybe not something you step on all day.

Good ideas though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post

I've gone through a few Inov-8 shoes. I'm currently on the Roclite 295.

The X-talon 212 still has an EVA midsole, as the narrower performance last, and a 6 mm drop. It's not what I'm looking for.

I think its a strenght issue. Titanium is lighter but not as strong as steel which I think they are currently made from. Good enough for pots but maybe not something you step on all day.

Good ideas though.
    They also make them out of aluminum. That's the version I have. I'd like something lighter. Titanium should also resist snow from balling up underneath. If it still balls, then hopefully the Never Wet fixes it.

Good luck on that one! The longer the shelf like the less flavor left. The extreme drying of food destroys flavor. If you want good tasting food you gotta make your own dehydrated vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2012:1237799
    Cheap dehydrated delicious, nutritious and auspicious backpacking food. $7 for a weak tasting "gourmet" dinner is too expensive. I like cooking so no rush on this.

Good ideas though.
    Titanium is stronger than most types of steel. Titanium is used for the spikes on more expensive snow shoes. I think the bigger reason for not using it on crampons is cost.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I know nothing about this stuff, but whenever I hike in the rain I wonder why packs aren't much more waterproof. We have to line them inside, put pack covers on the outside, and then put all of our clothes and gear in other bags to keep everything from getting wet and heavy.

A waterproof pack always seemed to me to be as obvious as putting a windshield on a car!

Images

I wish MSR would make Hubba Poles out of Carbon Fiber (like the Carbon Reflex) but free standing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++