WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Overnight

Default Overnight

My wife and I are looking to try out winter bags on out trip home from pa. I thought it would be ideal to pack our packs and hike a short distance into a nj or ny shelter and stay the night this weekend. Does anyone have any reccomendation of a nj or ny shelter that would most likely be empty (want to pitch tent in shelter for extra protection from elements) and close to the road as we want to be out quick Monday and will not have much time to hike in Sunday?

Images

[QUOTE=mooney;1237357]My wife and I are looking to try out winter bags on out trip home from pa. I thought it would be ideal to pack our packs and hike a short distance into a nj or ny shelter and stay the night this weekend. Does anyone have any reccomendation of a nj or ny shelter that would most likely be empty (want to pitch tent in shelter for extra protection from elements) and close to the road as we want to be out quick Monday and will not have much time to hike in Sunday?[/QUOTE
    west mountain shelter in harriman. i would expect it should be free on a sunday night in winter, and the view is terrific down the hudson and NYC.. park at the main parking area off 9w.i cant remember the trails i took ,but i think its only a few miles in on the 1776 trail, which also has some history.

I was at West Mountain this past Saturday and I was the only person staying overnight, so I'll second the recommendation. 1777 to the Timp-Torne to West Mountain should be about 3 and a quarter miles, per my guidebook.

++ New Posts ++