WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jobs?

The truth is you dont owe them any explaination, you could say something generic like "I no longer believe this job is in line with where I see my career heading". I wouldnt make something up though. If you want to tell them go ahead. Now that you have given your notice you cant be fired, they can ask you to leave but they still have to pay you for your notice weeks. I wouldnt worry about it, if you had a good relationship they will understand why you want to leave and thru-hike, if you didnt then likely they will forget you soon after you leave.

When you were hired did you sign one of those hickey-dos that say either the company or you can terminate your employment at any time without any yaddy yaddy blah blah blah such and such or whatever? Because if you did you can bet if they wanted to let you go you would get absolutely zero notice. By giving them notice you show that you have a higher character level than they do.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Do you always have a backup lie ready??
    Never met an HR person with a soul or even remotely truthful (knowing full well one will immediately write claiming they have one). There are many reasons to leave a job, use another one. To a corporation citing the AT is worse than claiming you are a crack addict.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    When you were hired did you sign one of those hickey-dos that say either the company or you can terminate your employment at any time without any yaddy yaddy blah blah blah such and such or whatever? Because if you did you can bet if they wanted to let you go you would get absolutely zero notice. By giving them notice you show that you have a higher character level than they do.
    You got that right.

To a corporation citing the AT is worse than claiming you are a crack addict.[/QUOTE]

Why are these mutually exclusive?

Ok, tell them you're a Terrorist Crack Head Thruhiker. They won't know what a thruhiker is and give you a good reference.

Most people don't get 2 weeks notice when there laid off or fired and most people are replaceable contrary to what they think.That said,unless your boss is your friend or you feel the need to offer an explanation,it's not necessary.Give your 2 weeks notice and say good bye and thank you very much,end of conversation.It's OK for you to ask if you can get a letter of recommendation before you leave,now the ball is in your employer's court.If that request is not answered or met....Split and start your adventure early.have a great hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Damn, I hate to be the voice of reality. It SHOULD NOT be seen as an irresponsible lark, but it will be seen that way.
    Maybe I just gravitate toward cool people but I've never heard anyone express anything negative about someone's successful thru-hike. Maybe they don't understand much or don't care but I can't imagine anyone thinking, "what a waste of time" -- assuming it was completed

Thanks for the solid advice and opinions everyone!

i put in my notice at work at the beginning of the year. im going to be done at my job at the end of this month and since we work on monthly quotas i thought it was a nice thing to give a full month since i knew. and it wasn't news to anyone. i told everyone i worked with in october that i'm hiking the AT. just didn't say it too loud around management because i didn't want to be "let go" before i was ready to go. but they absolute best part of telling management that you are quitting to hike is that i had to fill out a formal resignation form (i work for a pretty large company) and i got a call from out regional HR person to ask if i really am quitting to hike the AT. and i had to explain to her all sorts of stuff about the AT until she realized it wasn't something you can just do on vacation. it didn't click until i asked for 6 months leave of absense that she finally understood that i wasn't quitting because i found another job or hated my current one (but i kind of do). heh

pretty much what i'm saying is every one should OWN IT. it's something you're going to talk about foundly for the rest of your life, might as well start now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Never met an HR person with a soul or even remotely truthful (knowing full well one will immediately write claiming they have one). There are many reasons to leave a job, use another one. To a corporation citing the AT is worse than claiming you are a crack addict.
    Every HR person has at least one soul - if they are doing their jobs right, they have EVERY employee's soul, stashed in a jar somewhere.

Be honest with your employer - keep your own integrity, even if they don't keep theirs.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++