WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jobs?

Default Jobs?

So February 1st I'm informing my employers that my last day will be the last of the month. The question is, do I tell them that I'm leaving to Thru-Hike the AT or make up some other scenario? I don't want to sound like a crazy or irresponsible (knowing them they'd probably think so), but I also don't know if I'd feel comfortable saying anything else because, well, I'm not leaving to do anything else.

I'm not planning to return to my position (in fact I can't due to a planned relocation the end of this year), but I would like to use my current employers as a reference for future jobs.

What is everyone else doing job-wise?

The truth is always best in the long run, as it's easier to remember. Be honest (and proud) about what you're attempting...
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

Images

The truth. Nothing irresponsible about it.

I would definitely tell them I was leaving to do a Thru-hike. How many people actually follow their dreams?

Hope they see it that way Though I guess in all actuality it doesn't really matter. They can't really give me a bad reference if I give them ample notice and did my job well.

Maybe I should yell some obscenities and flip my desk on the way out - make it irresponsible (god I'd love to do that)

I'd just tell them that I have to relocate at the end of the year and due to that fact I've decided to depart earlier to pursue my dream of thru-hiking the AT. Thanks for the opportunity, it's been great, blah blah blah. No point in lying and I don't see why they wouldn't give you a reference.

As for what I'm doing job-wise; I left my job last year and have just been doing part time stuff and odd jobs since. After the hike I'm looking to settle down somewhere in the states and find work and eventually go back to school.

Images

Thru hiking the AT should not be seen as an irresponsible lark. - if a thru hiker resume ever comes across my desk (and it has), I would seriously consider hiring that person -- here is a person that can create his or her own logistical plan for a hard endeavor and carry it thru to completion. Absolutely tell the truth. You should not hike the AT to build your resume - that would be absurd, but it doesn't hurt one bit.
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-08-2012 at 12:51.

I was very honest with my boss and just let him know that even though I loved my job, I was very passionate about hiking the trail and that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I just couldn't pass up. I was even more surprised that his dad had hiked it in sections and he was very supportive of my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by carpattack View Post
    I was very honest with my boss and just let him know that even though I loved my job, I was very passionate about hiking the trail and that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I just couldn't pass up. I was even more surprised that his dad had hiked it in sections and he was very supportive of my decision.
    Very good to hear that honesty can work out! Wishing you a grand experience!

You do not need an explanation. "I'm leaving for personal reasons" is all they need.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Thru hiking the AT should not be seen as an irresponsible lark.
    Damn, I hate to be the voice of reality. It SHOULD NOT be seen as an irresponsible lark, but it will be seen that way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Damn, I hate to be the voice of reality. It SHOULD NOT be seen as an irresponsible lark, but it will be seen that way.
    Maybe by some but not by anyone whose opinion really matters in the long haul. HYOY and Live Your Own Life.

Images

Do you always have a backup lie ready??

Images

What everyone else said. Whether future potential employers see a thru-hike as a great and worthy endeavor, or as a foolish lark (most will be somewhere in between these two extremes), will in no way be near as important as the most important quality they look for in every employee - honesty.

You owe them nothing...you put your time in and gave just notice. If anything a thru-hike is mass planning and saving of both time and money. To think its anything of a "lark" is truly insane. A "Lark" is doing something at the spur of the moment. If more thru's attempted the A.T as a "lark" the failure rate would increase greatly. All the luck will be in DC end of Feb for a night...awaiting my Train to Clemson and onto the A.T.

Images

Tell them your plans and why you are leaving. You owe it to yourself to leave on a high road... Who knows you might inspire others.

In addition, unless your skillset is in demand or you have an incredible relationship with your employer, I would probably wait 2 more weeks and give just 2 weeks notice. Employment at will. If you give more than 2 weeks, an employer does not have to keep you on, nor pay you past 2 weeks. Most employers have a reasonable policy of keeping you on and paying you for teh full 2 weeks. If you were going to a competitor, they usually walk you out and give you 2-weeks pay.
    However, some bosses take it as a personal insult and take on the "You're dead to me" attitude and could make your 2 weeks miserable.
    Good Luck
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

A one time thru hike wont hurt your resume. A history of six month jobs and six months off could hurt if it shows a pattern.

I guess I should clarify - I wouldn't lie about why I was leaving, I just wouldn't mention the AT as my main reason. More like I'd emphasize that I'm leaving due to an upcoming move, additional schooling, etc. (these are legitimate factors for me, they just won't come into play untill after my thru).

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    In addition, unless your skillset is in demand or you have an incredible relationship with your employer, I would probably wait 2 more weeks and give just 2 weeks notice. Employment at will. If you give more than 2 weeks, an employer does not have to keep you on, nor pay you past 2 weeks. Most employers have a reasonable policy of keeping you on and paying you for teh full 2 weeks. If you were going to a competitor, they usually walk you out and give you 2-weeks pay.
    However, some bosses take it as a personal insult and take on the "You're dead to me" attitude and could make your 2 weeks miserable.
    Good Luck
    I've thought about this - and now that you bring up my fears, maybe I'll tell them a week or 2 into February....

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Do you always have a backup lie ready??
    I was thinking "Sorry, I need to resign due to the upcoming apocalypse. I must go construct my bunker in the mountains of Georgia and stockpile alcohol and guns. Good day."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++