WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default This site supports SOPA??

I got a notice that says this site SOPA. What's with that?

For those that don't know, please do your research. It could even mean the end of this very website. All that it'd require is for people to start something simple and innocuous like quoting song lyrics in their blogs, posts or signatures. Posting a video with background music would be even worse. If WhiteBlaze can't proactively keep up with removing these copyright infringements, the site will be killed.

Images

Wow, this is probably the last site that I visit that I'd expect to support SOPA.

Thanks for the heads up on that...

Images

Shocking. WB supporting censorship? I would never have thought that.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Who did you get the notice from?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

as long as it's biodegradable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Who did you get the notice from?
    There's an extension that warns you if certain sites support SOPA. It says this one does.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    There's an extension that warns you if certain sites support SOPA. It says this one does.
    Before relying on some extensions info, I'd try to get AT Troll or a moderator to reply. In any case, this site serves a great purpose. If we go looking for a devil under every rock, we'll be finding them all day long. I'd say don't worry about it.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Before relying on some extensions info, I'd try to get AT Troll or a moderator to reply.
    That's the point of this thread. If they support it, they should state so here. They must have already admitted publicly that they supported it if the extension is correct, otherwise if the extension is incorrect, then a Whiteblaze rep should definitely say so here.

Journal Entries
    Images

We would appreciate it if you would contact me or one of the other administrators in private message telling us more about where you got this information from, instead of jumping the gun and posting something without having the facts straight.

Thank you
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Here's where I got the information from:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...aeodbefhcapjcj

Journal Entries
    Images

That link sends a person to the Chrome browser store. I don't see anything there.
    AT Troll (2010)

Journal Entries
    Images

You must be referring to he pop up that comes up asking you to install into Chrome.
    I am leery of anything you install that tells you this as the does:

Install NO SOPS?
    It can access:
    -Your data on all web sites
    -Your tabs and browser activity

I do not want any computer to be able to access this for the simple reason that if someone gets access to your computer they will be able to access this info. I will not install this on my computer.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Yeah, it's a free extension for Chrome.

Here's the description of the extension:
    Description

Be notified if you're visiting the website of a company that supports the dangerous Stop Online Piracy Act legislation.

When you visit a site of a known Stop Online Piracy Act supporter's domain name, you'll see a notice bar at the top of the page letting you know.

Boycott? Nasty letter time? You decide.

by Andy Baird (@ajbaird) and Tony Webster (@webster)

Released as open source under a GPLv3 license — fork and contribute at https://github.com/webster/NoSOPA Thanks to @roofuskit and @karbassi for GitHub contributions.

Bugs? https://github.com/webster/NoSOPA/issues or tweet us

More info: https://tonywebster.com/2012/01/no-s...ome-extension/

Missing SOPA supporters or accidentally included the wrong one? We used the sources we could find, which are documented in the code. Send a pull request on GitHub with any domain additions or corrections and we'll make the changes, assuming they can be verified.

Privacy: Domains are checked against a local list. This extension does not communicate with any external hosts.
    It is open source, so you can verify for yourself if it's doing anything malicious.

Could it possibly be GoDady (the company that physically hosts the site) supports SOPA, versus the actual site owner? Or could it also be that someone who has their domain registered or hosted on GoDady support it? I host a few domains with another company, and have had the same question asked of me... I do not support SOPA, but have a listing saying a domain I own supports it... I'm still researching how to get that changed... It's one of those "one bad apple" things... Luckily for me I had someone email me politely and ask and not broadcast it to the public with out research/all the facts... I really appreciated that courtesy since I didn't have to explain to every person who read something on the internet or did a search on Google/etc for my domains...
    Last edited by N9ZSY; 01-09-2012 at 14:23.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    We would appreciate it if you would contact me or one of the other administrators in private message telling us more about where you got this information from, instead of jumping the gun and posting something without having the facts straight.

Thank you
    So does WB support it or not?

Journal Entries
    Images

WhiteBlaze does not support piracy. WhiteBlaze is not however taking a pro or anti position on the proposed legislation at this time. WB has not sanctioned its participation in software related to SOPA.
    AT Troll (2010)

I believe the problem with SOPA as currently interpreted is that it gives power to a group to shut down a website before copyright infringement is proven in a court of law.......sites could be shut down with just an accusation.

Images

For those unaware of the SOPA debate, this article explains why it is a really, REALLY bad idea. http://lifehacker.com/5860205/all-ab...-your-internet

This is getting opposition from both sides of the aisle though 41 senators have signed on to it. The hearings so far show just how little Congress understands how the internet works. Even Vint Cerf who is considered one of the "Fathers of the Internet" has come out in strong opposition to the bill.

Some of the bigger players Google, Wikipedia, etc. are considering a coordinated website blackout in the coming week or two because they see this as that dangerous to not only the internet, but national security and the economy.
    Last edited by songunn25; 01-12-2012 at 03:51. Reason: Misread some info in an article. Correcting for accuracy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    WhiteBlaze does not support piracy. WhiteBlaze is not however taking a pro or anti position on the proposed legislation at this time. WB has not sanctioned its participation in software related to SOPA.
    Thank you for stating the position of Whiteblaze. Although I would prefer WB to be against SOPA, I can respect not taking a position at this time. I do think it would be good to contact the maker of that extension to get Whiteblaze removed.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

[QUOTE Even Vint Cerf who is considered one of the "Fathers of the Internet" has come out in strong opposition to the bill.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, I though AL GORE invented the internet
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++