WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb Ham Radio and GPS tracking

Ham radio walkie talkies are great for maintaining contact among scattered hikers and by SAR teams. Radios with GPS can be tracked and seen live on http://aprs.fi either by knowing their callsign, or just zooming into an area.

This Spring, hope to consider getting a number of Hams to section hike and develop a coverage map for those that follow. I'm wondering if there are any others interestred in participating? Also on July 23rd each year for 4 hours we try to communicate from Springer to Katahdin using 14 hikers on top of 14 mountains covering the entire 2170 miles. See http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

Apology: We do use earphones so as to not bother anyone else. Sorry, its just that altitude gives range, and that's what we like to do. P.S. always works and is not dependent on cell phone networks. Bob, WB4APR

Default Boots vs trail runners

Last edited by k2basecamp; 01-03-2012 at 23:39. Reason: Wrong thread

I've done this at my home,long wire,1 germanium diode,galena(secondary lead mineral)and a earphone...did'nt work that well?what was I missing,would love to try this again.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I've done this at my home,long wire,1 germanium diode,galena(secondary lead mineral)and a earphone...did'nt work that well?what was I missing,would love to try this again.
    It's a little more complicated then that. You need to tune the input, which is done by winding a coil of wire and using a variable capacitor. If you use a germanium diode, you don't need the galena. Also, you need high impedance headphones, which are not very common today. The type used with MP3 players and the like will not work, as they are low impedance.

Google "crystal radio sets" and I'm sure you will find many plans for building these simple radios. I made my first one when I was like 8.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Cool,thanks I was following a scematic on the back of a bar napkin

Journal Entries
    Images

Bob - I am stumped (n2gwd) I love hill topping but I have given up on all this for smart phones.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++