WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by CROCKETT View Post
    I wanted to reach out to everyone to get a feel for wearing Gaiters for a NOBO thru hike starting in mid March. Also, if you have a particular brand that has worked well for you. Thanks in advance
    OR ultra trail gaiter super light don't rub or bind don't even know you have them on. best I've ever wore

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    I am currently in VA about 1
    Third done. Winter stuff is at home and my boots fell apart so I'm now rocking the inov8 trail runners. My trail name is BYGE and I am still feeling good. See you on the trail.
    Good choice on the Inov-8s....even Winton Porter approved of mine.

Cat in the Hat

What does BYGE stand for?
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Phlox View Post
    What does BYGE stand for?
    Its BYGE "Biggie" and it stands for Build Your Gear & Equipment. Basically I was hiking with a guy that never heard of anyone making thier own gear and wanted to name me MYOG or DYI, but I didnt want ppl calling me that so he came up with a new acronym and called me biggie and it stuck. One day I fell 3 times and it became Biggie Falls for the week. Also the notorious BYG for a little while.

Also update, I decided to finish my hike in NJ (my home state). I got off the trail on June 6th and decided to save the rest for future hikes and end my thru attempt. Basically I just didnt want to be away from friends and family and my dog for another 2 months or so. I really enjoyed my time on the trail and wouldnt have changed a thing. But I feel like if I continued at this point it would only be to say I did it and thats just not a good enough reason for me to continue. Someone said to me before I left that if anything at home was pulling me back, then that thing would eventually win. And in my case they were right. I will be doing many 2-3 day section hikes this summer and have not lost my love of hiking but just dont want to be isolated from everyone I know any longer. I guess I found out that 3 months away is my maximum time for a long distance hike. Met a lot great ppl and I hope all who are still on the trail make it to katahdin or where ever their personal katahdin is.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Good choice on the Inov-8s....even Winton Porter approved of mine.

Cat in the Hat
    Did about 600 miles in the talon 212's and they didnt fall apart unlike the La Sportivas after 700 miles. The tread on the bottom is worn down but I am pretty sure I can get another couple hundred out of them. Bottom line they look like they have been used but did not break in any way so I am extremely impressed. Before I left I thought it would be the other way around considering how big and bulky the Sportiva boots are and how minimalist the inov-8s are. For warm weather hiking I dont think I will ever use boots again and convert to trail runners. I admit I was wrong and trail runners are awesome in everyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    Did about 600 miles in the talon 212's and they didnt fall apart unlike the La Sportivas after 700 miles. The tread on the bottom is worn down but I am pretty sure I can get another couple hundred out of them. Bottom line they look like they have been used but did not break in any way so I am extremely impressed. Before I left I thought it would be the other way around considering how big and bulky the Sportiva boots are and how minimalist the inov-8s are. For warm weather hiking I dont think I will ever use boots again and convert to trail runners. I admit I was wrong and trail runners are awesome in everyway.
    Oh and not one blister with Inov-8, about 30 blisters with the La Sportivas on the heel, instep, and between toes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++