WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I would stay away from trail runners. I prefer mid weight boots for support and protection. Flip- lops to wear around camp at night or lightweight sneakers (racing flats). Also good for stream crossings.Avoid staying at shelters you'll sleep better. Great for eating lunch or dinner at but move on for sleeping.Train beforehand with a walking program and carry a pack on alternate days to avoid stress fractureson the trail.

I think it wise to take any specific suggestions as only tentatively "right" for you personally (including any from me ...). Often it seems that I read a post and find that my approach on something is completely different. So listen to the ideas but then form your own conclusions.

k2basecamp's suggestions above are a good example. "Stay away from trail runners" --- I used trail runners on the AT despite an early (snowy) start, and was happy that I did so. I don't use flip-flops or any sort of camping shoe (and wouldn't want to carry them), and I found very little in the way of stream crossings on the AT. "Avoid staying in shelters": I stayed in shelters most of the time (caveat: easier perhaps with an earlier start) and this almost always worked out fine.
    I certainly agree with the "train beforehand with a walking program" suggestion, but in fact I had foot surgery 3 months before I started the AT, and healed up so slowly that I had very little before-trip training. A bit of a tougher start as a result, but the trip went fine, I was able to toughen/strengthen up as I went along.

I don't mean to say that any of these ideas are 'wrong' (!), just that there is often more than one valid way to go about things in the varied and crazy world of backpacking.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

most foot and leg injuries are caused by weight on the foot,

not what is on your foot.

Tomman,

I had open heart surgery this past October for a valve replacement. Working to get back in shape, takes time. I've done a fair amount of hiking in the past and looking forward to getting back at it.
    Take your time, and listen to your doctor. Good luck and have fun !!!

Don't forget that all your gear items can be changed at any time. You can send home stuff you don't need, buy stuff you forgot, buy new stuff to replace stuff you can't stand anymore. Your whole hike can be a gear testing extravaganza if you want. The gear is the least of it.

If I did my hikes over again, I think I would try and worry less about mileage and not push myself so hard. I did enjoy the mileage, but I think maybe I forgot to enjoy other things as well.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Don't forget that all your gear items can be changed at any time. You can send home stuff you don't need, buy stuff you forgot, buy new stuff to replace stuff you can't stand anymore. Your whole hike can be a gear testing extravaganza if you want. The gear is the least of it.

If I did my hikes over again, I think I would try and worry less about mileage and not push myself so hard. I did enjoy the mileage, but I think maybe I forgot to enjoy other things as well.
    Enjoyed meeting your mom this summer!!

I am sending the majority of my food ahead this time. Buying along the trail gets really expensive and time consuming. If you use flat rate boxes and ship everything before you leave (post offices and hostels will hold these for you) you already have a large part of the cost of a thru out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    At your age you may want to consider flip flopping, I hike with Tattor Chip age 63 who flipped. He did not have to worry about getting to Kathadin in time.
    +1 on this recommendation. I think NOBO till around August 1st and then get to Maine and hike the other way. That gives you the best shot of doing the entire trail.
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

Im going to have a whole new system this summer. Most trail time as possible. Less time in towns. Less time in town equals more money and more time on mountaintops and in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Tomman, Great Question! I admire you for setting out at 76.

I would have gone with a ULA Catalyst pack (made in the USA 3lbs) over my heavy Gregory pack. My Gregory is great but 3lbs vs. 5lbs 9 oz can make difference over time. I would have gone with a Big Ag Fly creek or tarp tent which are around 2lbs. Aqua Mira drops are way better than a pump. Invest in a good sturdy hiking shoe. Your shoes or boots should be about a half size larger than street shoes for going down hill. I took trekking poles and I would do it again!!!! Micro spikes for Ice early on or late for Sobo's like myself.

I should have invested in Gators. I would have used a smaller stove, Jet Boil is good but bulky. I like Snow Peak and MSR's Iso Butane products. I would have gotten a less bulky sleeping pad. Invest in a nice sleeping bag (do your research, the Marmot Sawtooth is alot of bang for the Buck) Montbell and Western Mountaineering are cream of the crop.

I recommend Patagonia Cap three tops and bottoms or Smart wool, a down sweater or a pirma loft sweater like the Patagonia Nano Puff. My EB first ascent worked well. Go with a 1 liter Platypus bag it can hold 1 liter of water or be folded away for storage. Poweraide water bottles work well on the trail.

If you are ever in East Tennessee and need some help come over to Little River Trading company in Maryville, Myself and my co-worker Wildcat, who is a triple crowner, can help you out.

If you or anyone needs any help with gear or trail advice come visit us at
    http://www.littlerivertradingco.com/location-contact/
    LRTC
    2408 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy
    Maryville TN 37408
    When I'm in the area, I always make it a point to come see you guys. Mainly for fly fishing gear, but the next time might be during my thru next year

Quote Originally Posted by jacquelineanngrant View Post
    I am sending the majority of my food ahead this time. Buying along the trail gets really expensive and time consuming. If you use flat rate boxes and ship everything before you leave (post offices and hostels will hold these for you) you already have a large part of the cost of a thru out of the way.
    The only problem with this is that often on the trail your tastes change. For example I hate pop tarts off the trail, looking at them makes me sick. On the trail I cannot eat enough. Please by all means do this, often you will get quite popular giving food away.

Quote Originally Posted by jacquelineanngrant View Post
    The only problem with this is that often on the trail your tastes change. For example I hate pop tarts off the trail, looking at them makes me sick. On the trail I cannot eat enough. Please by all means do this, often you will get quite popular giving food away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++