WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buena Vista - Recommendations for quick visit?

I just realized my husband and I could stop in Buena Vista on our way to somewhere else if we made a slight detour. If we're just stopping for lunch, what are some good places to eat that hikers would also frequent?

What are some must-sees if we have just a few extra minutes to drive around to appreciate what the town has to offer hikers?

We're already planning a visit to Uncorked, the wine shop (I see from their website they sell chocolate too!)--just remembered we should probably be bringing a hostess gift.

Also thinking of a short leg-stretcher hike at Route 60 A.T. crossing (Long Mountain Wayside) but I see from the Rohlands A.T. parking site that it has a parking safety rating lower than average. Any reason to be concerned, especially if we have a newer car?

Laurie P.

Consider hiking the Mt Pleasant or Cold Mt loop out of Hog Camp Gap . A short drive up some rough road. Great views.

Images

I wouldn't waste my time. Worst place I stopped on the trail.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I wouldn't waste my time. Worst place I stopped on the trail.
    i don't know about it being the worst town but it ain't much of a "trail town"

At least they're trying--a few folks in town seem quite committed to improving things for hikers, and that's usually how positive change happens.

Laurie P.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    At least they're trying--a few folks in town seem quite committed to improving things for hikers, and that's usually how positive change happens.

Laurie P.
    If I was looking for a road trip pit stop, I'd go to Lexington rather than Buena Vista. Better food choices/ Stonewall Jackson house tour. If you do wind up in Buena Vista, the large random presidential head sculptures on the hill at Glen Maury park are a sight to see. Maybe Picnic at the pavillion. Nice view up there too!

Thanks for the tip, Scudder! I'll keep Lexington in mind for a future visit. I hear they have an outfitter, too. But I specifically wanted to spend my money in a town that is making an effort to promote the A.T. and become more hiker-friendly.

Thanks for thinking about Buena Vista, Lauriep. You're right - we ARE trying to become more hiker-friendly. We have just become an official Appalachian Trail Community and will be holding out presentation ceremony in April. As far as places to stop and eat in Buena Vista, some good choices would be - Original Italian (for pizza and sandwiches), bluedogart cafe - soups, wraps, sandwiches, etc., Don Tequila for Mexican and Canton for Chinese. The owner of bluedogart cafe is very hiker-friendly and part of my group working to promote the AT. I'm not sure if she is open this week, however, so it depends on when you're coming into town. As far as parking your car at the Long Mt. wayside, I think it would probably be fine if you're just doing a day hike. There again, depending on when you're coming in, you could always leave your car in my parking lot at Uncorked if you're not comfortable leaving it at the wayside, and I could run you up to the trailhead and then pick you up. Let me know about your plans, and I'll be glad to help out however I can.

How has nobody mentioned "Franks for the Memories"... great little hiker friendly place to eat and catch some entertainment in the afternoon. Uncorked is a nice shop with lots of love for hikers as well. Buena Vista may not be big but its got loads of charm and I enjoyed going through there earlier this year on my big section hike.

Also, just down the road past Glasgow is the Foot bridge across the James RIver. Nice to see if you haven't already.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Are dinosaurs still roaming Glasgow?
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Are dinosaurs still roaming Glasgow?
    YES... with lovely lass riding the bronto.

My wife and I enjoyed our Mexican lunch in Buena Vista before hopping on the Blue Ridge Parkway on our drive back from Waynesboro. Friendly folks at that restaurant.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 12-30-2011 at 15:27.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Just the one now that Rain Man mentions. She needs some nrw clothes. I saw her Monday.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Default Dinosaur gal in Glasgow

Here ya go. Pic from October '09 section hike.

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Sorry to say that Frank's for the Memories has closed - and it's for sale! It is a great location and opportunity for someone with energy and imagination. bluedog cafe is right across the street. Give that a try!

Laurie, I would recommend eating at Nick's Italian Kitchen. I wouldn't worry about leaving my car at Long Mountain Wayside. There are vehicles there all the time and I haven't really heard of any trouble there. If you would rather leave your car in town, I would be more than happy to let you park at my house where it will be safe and shuttle you and your husband. I will help you in any way I can. I have lived here all my life and know the mountains well. Just pm me and let me know. I will give you my number so you can contact me.

Thanks for all the great advice all and friendly offer of assistance, Deer Hunter! Unfortunately, we had to leave before I read all of it, but it'll be useful for our next visit, and hopefully others who read this thread.

We had a great visit with Michael at the Uncorked Wine Shop, and learned that he had been very active in maintaining the A.T. in northern Virginia with the Potomac A.T. Club when he lived up that way. His son also built the Fisher Loop Trail as an Eagle Scout project. The wine shop is a great place for nice gifts of chocolate and wine. While were there, a local guy dressed in camo from head to toe stopped in for some strawberry shortcake wine, which wasn't in stock at the time. Didn't look like the kind of guy who would go in for that kind of thing, so it especially piqued my interest. The look in his eye when he talked about it made me vow to look for it the next time I go back.

We made a quick stop at Original Italian Restaurant, a few doors down. My husband had a homemade Minestrone soup that he said was quite good.

We ended up only stopping at the James River Foot Bridge. There were bear hunters along 501 at almost every pull-off wide enough for a truck, and at the trailhead. We got to talk to a couple; both said they hunted bear but didn't shoot them. Got a beautiful hike in on the A.T. around Catawba on the way back.

Laurie P.

"Thanks for all the great advice all and friendly offer of assistance, Deer Hunter!"

The offer stands anytime you are in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    "Thanks for all the great advice all and friendly offer of assistance, Deer Hunter!"

The offer stands anytime you are in the area.
    Deer Hunter,
    I am headed out this summer to cover Pearisburg to Buena Vista. I am looking for parking and shuttle. You still at it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++