WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

That's a decent looking glass wick stove. I use hemp twine, as a consumable wick. works great. less soot but still some soot. Also decent light. Insulating the oil really improves performance, so it needs to be raised up off a bottom metal surface. The burner itself can be as small as a tealight tin, but I use the lid of my char tin, which spreads the oil out and heats it up faster. Usually just one clumpy wick in the middle. I should try some charred moss also. I will try it with a small hobo stove as an outer chamber and pot stand. Using oil with charred wood might be a strategy for keeping the hobo stove smaller. I use the char tin as an insulated stand for the lid burner, and can make char for the next fire in this way also. All the unburned residue stays in tin when I flip the lid back on. I carry lighter, twine, and wind screen in the char tin also. A little slow for a quick tea or breakfast, but great for making lentil soup and tea in a solo camp at night.

back a few years ago when I was playing with oil stoves I used a twist of toilet paper as the wick through a hole in a metal plate so as to control the size of the flame - actually several wicks and several holes but anyways ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++