WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new book?

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

Question new book?

*if* someone were to write another book on hiking the AT, what kind of stuff would y'all be interested in reading about?
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

(and what would you not be interested in reading about?)
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Images

More about the history and lore of the various areas, such as was started with Model T's Walkin' with the Ghost Whisperers. There are "how-to's" and hiking journals galore, and I've pretty much read my fill of them. (After New years, I'm going to be culling the library a bit, and will be marketing some of these, that I read and enjoyed but realize I wouldn't read again). Past history, on the other hand, is either scarce or I've missed it.

What "Hikes in Rain" said - it's one reason I really enjoyed Bill Bryson's book.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

After a while all of these "I Hiked the AT" books sound alike. For me to buy another one it would have to be a "special" type of book. Offhand, I can only think of 3 I would buy.

1. A book written by Jack Tarlin.

2. A book written by one of Doyle's expedition participants. I want to see if such a hike would be as miserable as I think it would. I don't want this book to written by Doyle as I don't want his "spin" on things. Now if Doyle decided to have one more expedition and if Jack went along as the future author that would be a heck of a book.

3. This one will never be written, but I'd like a brief paragraph of every relo and "why" it was made. (See, I told you it'd never be written.) I think the best I can hope for is that AT Journeys decides to print a brief recap of future relo's as they occur.

i have a book in mind. it would be in an ed abbey/hunter thompson style of writing. i got some stories...

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    After a while all of these "I Hiked the AT" books sound alike. For me to buy another one it would have to be a "special" type of book. Offhand, I can only think of 3 I would buy.

1. A book written by Jack Tarlin.

2. A book written by one of Doyle's expedition participants. I want to see if such a hike would be as miserable as I think it would. I don't want this book to written by Doyle as I don't want his "spin" on things. Now if Doyle decided to have one more expedition and if Jack went along as the future author that would be a heck of a book.

3. This one will never be written, but I'd like a brief paragraph of every relo and "why" it was made. (See, I told you it'd never be written.) I think the best I can hope for is that AT Journeys decides to print a brief recap of future relo's as they occur.
    I think a book about trail relocations and their history would be interesting....alot of people enjoy piecing together the "Old AT". A book by Jack Tarlin, Lonewolf and Trek would also be interesting. I also think a book by Steve Longley and some of the old AT Hostel owners would be fun to read as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    ...if Doyle decided to have one more expedition and if Jack went along as the future author that would be a heck of a book
    Hasn't Murder on the Appalachian Trail already been written?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default Murder on the Appalachian Trail

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hasn't Murder on the Appalachian Trail already been written?
    Very true! I had dinner with Jack last week, and his dislike for Doyle is as strong as ever! However, the Jess Carr version of Murder on the Appalachian Trail is a good book.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Very true! I had dinner with Jack last week, and his dislike for Doyle is as strong as ever! However, the Jess Carr version of Murder on the Appalachian Trail is a good book.
    I don't know either of them personally, but I inferred from some past WB posts that the two may have slight differences of opinions on some things.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I'd like to see a new book work some of the trail's history into it the way Ed Garvey did in Appalachian Hiker. Not that it hasn't been done obviously, but many younger hikers likely won't read Ed's book due to it's age, and many are extremely unaware of the trail's history, how it came to be, and the tremendous effort it took to make it a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I don't know either of them personally, but I inferred from some past WB posts that the two may have slight differences of opinions on some things.
    The book would be fun to read!

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    *if* someone were to write another book on hiking the AT, what kind of stuff would y'all be interested in reading about?
    Anything but the typical chronilogical "my daily grind" format. We all know the hills are hard, what gear you use, the history of the AT, and how you have to hike when it rains. Yada, yada, yada.

Sadly, this is what most every hike the AT book is written like. You can read that kind of stuff on trailjournals all day long.
    Last edited by Spokes; 12-29-2011 at 16:24.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Anything but the typical chronilogical "my daily grind" format. We all know the hills are hard, what gear you use, the history of the AT, and how you have to hike when it rains. Yada, yada, yada.

Sadly, this is what most every hike the AT book is written like. You can read that kind of stuff on trailjournals all day long.
    Since it's all been written already, perhaps the problem is that the written word is just a dead genre for the AT.
    I'm going to suggest to CBS that they do a season of Survivor: AT

This one is easy. I want a long and in-depth account of birthing the feisty turtlehead in the field, for starters. Is it a two handed struggle or one? Has stool landed on your untied boot laces as you hover over a cathole? Have you ever had to birth an angry Turd on paper towels inside a tent during a blizzard?? Etc. Then I want long screeds on Man's war against nature since, heck, the writer is supposedly living in nature, right? I want rants on overhead jet planes, roaring adjacent motorcycles, and all the rest of the garbage of our heavy-handed intrusion into the mountains of the Appalachian Trail.

Then I need some long pages on gear and the weaknesses of each piece of gear used---for no tent or bag or pad is perfect. Just be honest and point out the flaws. Finally, I gotta have some mystical stuff about our relationship with the Woman of the Cold and the Wind, Miss Nature.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This one is easy. I want a long and in-depth account of birthing the feisty turtlehead in the field, for starters. Is it a two handed struggle or one? Has stool landed on your untied boot laces as you hover over a cathole? Have you ever had to birth an angry Turd on paper towels inside a tent during a blizzard?
    Ya know, I think you pretty much just covered as much as that subject as most of us ever want to hear.

Didn't someone already write a white paper on the efficacy of burying toilet paper while hiking?

Images

whatever hasnt yet been put into book form is right here on WB. although i like LWs idea, maybe with just a tad of kerouac.

Images

Well, certainly some interesting early spins on this subject, would hope that Mr Tarlin will correspond.............

....I was actually thinking about this the other day, haven't we all thought about our book?

Agree 100% on having a new spin ................... completely respect Tipi Walter but any book on the AT I have ever thought of writing would not have touched on his topics. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This one is easy. I want a long and in-depth account of birthing the feisty turtlehead in the field, for starters. Is it a two handed struggle or one? Has stool landed on your untied boot laces as you hover over a cathole? Have you ever had to birth an angry Turd on paper towels inside a tent during a blizzard?? Etc. Then I want long screeds on Man's war against nature since, heck, the writer is supposedly living in nature, right? I want rants on overhead jet planes, roaring adjacent motorcycles, and all the rest of the garbage of our heavy-handed intrusion into the mountains of the Appalachian Trail.

Then I need some long pages on gear and the weaknesses of each piece of gear used---for no tent or bag or pad is perfect. Just be honest and point out the flaws. Finally, I gotta have some mystical stuff about our relationship with the Woman of the Cold and the Wind, Miss Nature.
    boring as dry white toast

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++