WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mount Rodgers hike Help

Looking at doing a two night hike in the mount rogers area. not sure of the options just now looking into it. if anyone knows of a good loop please let me know

classic loop is the AT and Pine Mtn. Tr. (old AT)

Images

Do you own the Nat Geo/Trail Illustrated map of the area. If not I highly suggest you pick one up, makes figuring the area out so much easier.

I would suggest parking at Grayson Highlands State park. There is a small fee (2/day ??) but its secure parking. From the backpackers parking lot you can hike up the spur trail and meet up with the AT. From here you a ton of options using the AT either north or south and using side trails to make a loop. There are a ton of side trails to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    classic loop is the AT and Pine Mtn. Tr. (old AT)
    Totally agree on this one. Come in at Grayson Highlands and use the overnight parking lot ($2 per week day, $3 on weekends). Take the AT Spur trail from the lot up to the AT and head south over Wilburn Ridge and take a sidetrip (left) to Thomas Knob shelter for a look-see and then backtrack to Rhododendron Gap and find the Pine Mt trail jct and follow it east to the AT above Scales. Stay on the AT thru Scales and climb Stone Mt (another fantastic place to camp) and head into the woods and descend to Wise shelter and finish by climbing up to Wilburn Ridge and the AT Spur trail. A great loop.

thanks. going to check if my local outfitter has a map. i plan on parking in the state park. we are shooting for around a 25 mile loop and would like to included mount rogers summit, i know that this will probably have us backtrack some but thats ok.

If you go to the Thomas Knob shelter you might as well go just a little farther and do the spur trail up to the Mount Rogers Summit...highest point in Va. No view but it's in a dark mossy fir/pine forest, a little different enviroment than everything else up there. About 1/2 or 3/4 mile past Thomas Knob to the top.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Tipi,
    thanks we are going to do what you suggested with the addition of hiking to the top of rogers, the advice helped a ton. i am hoping that if my outfitter does not have a map that i can get one at the park. by any chance would you happen to have a rough guess on mileage.
    thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Twodirtyfeet View Post
    Tipi,
    thanks we are going to do what you suggested with the addition of hiking to the top of rogers, the advice helped a ton. i am hoping that if my outfitter does not have a map that i can get one at the park. by any chance would you happen to have a rough guess on mileage.
    thanks for the help
    If you get an AT Map for that area it will include all of the side trails you could possibly loop with. The park map misses a lot of the side trails you could cover over in the wilderness areas. Here is the actual park map http://dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/...nhighlands.pdf.

Going up there and wondering around aimlessly can also be great. I was up there on Christmas Eve and was meaning to hike up to Mt. Roger's but ended up stopping at Rhododendron Gap for pictures, a hot lunch, and never made it any further. I then just wondered from rock outcropping to rock outcropping looking at the views. As for the mileage on the whole thing, http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Virg...lands_0000.asp. This might be a good plan someone else suggested, http://www.n2backpacking.com/trail-m...l Topo Map.bmp. Here is your best trail map though, files.meetup.com/751131/Mount Rogers Map.jpg (Just highlight and paste this link)

I know today the mountain got a good bit of ice, and is getting the snow now, it's now snowing here only a few miles away as a crow flies, and blowing from that direction.
    Last edited by topshelf; 12-28-2011 at 00:02.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry everyone, but as much as I love this area, if I see another new post about it, i"m going topuk :O (
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

The best map of the area is Nat Geographic's Trails Illustrated Map #786 since it has the large Mt Rogers High Country Inset---a more detailed depiction of the important points in the Crest Zone. I agree with Redeye---wander aimlessly---as the place is worth it.

There are three main peaks on Wilbrun Ridge as shown above. The little one, the middle high one, and old Grandmother Peak on the right middle. The whale mountain to the right is Mt Rogers itself.

Here's the AT Spur trail as it jcts with the AT on Wilburn Ridge.

Here's a campsite on Wilburn Ridge by the first peak as shown above.

Here's Peak 3 I call Grandmother Peak and the big windy gap between hill two and three. It's an excellent place to camp if you have a bombproof well-guyed out tent.

Images

25 mile GHSP.jpgsee if this helps ( maybe too small )

thanks to everyone for the advice. got a map today(had an old one from my 09 at hike but cant find it). looking at taking the spur then the AT to Thomas Knob and to the top of rogers, Pine mt trail to make it a loop. Seems to be a great way to ring in the new year. once again thanks for all the help and advice looking forward to the hike and will post a report after

Look forward to your trip report! It's a great area...have always enjoyed hiking there.

Hi TwoDirty,

There is a guy, called Refridgerator, on this website

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/56598.php

who is planning a "winter blast" Jan 13-16. I'm interested in meeting up with him myself, but he has not contacted me yet. He said he's brought gear for snow in past years. I'll be hiking through from Damascus, hopefully, about the 12th to 14th, but my snow travel gear is limited unless Mt Rogers Outfitters rents me some.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodirtyfeet View Post
    thanks to everyone for the advice. got a map today(had an old one from my 09 at hike but cant find it). looking at taking the spur then the AT to Thomas Knob and to the top of rogers, Pine mt trail to make it a loop. Seems to be a great way to ring in the new year. once again thanks for all the help and advice looking forward to the hike and will post a report after
    Sounds like a great trip, sob. If I wasn't four hours away by car I would surely join you.

Default Other campsites on this loop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Totally agree on this one. Come in at Grayson Highlands and use the overnight parking lot ($2 per week day, $3 on weekends). Take the AT Spur trail from the lot up to the AT and head south over Wilburn Ridge and take a sidetrip (left) to Thomas Knob shelter for a look-see and then backtrack to Rhododendron Gap and find the Pine Mt trail jct and follow it east to the AT above Scales. Stay on the AT thru Scales and climb Stone Mt (another fantastic place to camp) and head into the woods and descend to Wise shelter and finish by climbing up to Wilburn Ridge and the AT Spur trail. A great loop.
    Hi Tipi,
    I am doing this trip in the next few weeks. Can you tell me where alternative campsites are on the loop you mentioned above? I'm afraid to find the shelters full and would like to have some contingency plans.

Thanks!

++ New Posts ++