WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Osprey Hornet 46 Pack...

I know this pack is just coming out, but I was wondering if any of you have had a chance to check it out? The straps look thin, just like my Exos. I don't know what they are running for suspension. And I think the side pockets are a little odd being so long. I see that they are using the S/M & M/L sizing. I have always hated that. I run a 22" torso and I am willing to bet that this pack won't fit. And we all know that the pack will totally rock, if that is the case.

I am going to check my local REIs and Midwest Mountaineering in the up coming weeks to see if they have one. If no one else has seen it by then, I will post my findings.

Here are some photos I found...
    http://www.gearzone.com/PhotoDetails...Code=249-10513
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Images

There is some info on the backpackinglight site in the forums; some of them got test versions if I recall correctly.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

for some reason i thought i heard this pack was being marketed towards climbers as opposed to hikers. i don't know for sure though or even remember where i heard that. outfitter last summer maybe
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Default Looks good

No experience with it, but it looks like a great effort by a larger company. Osprey has a great warranty too. Excited to hear what people think when they come out.

I"m considering this pack with my rei dividend. I have the Golite Pinnacle, but I dont need its big size, and the Hornet (46) is lighter. Now off to sale my golite, which is in good shape if anyoone is interested. Also, I've seen that the lid is removeable and weighs 3oz. I hope there is a way to lash my ridgerest on top of this pack!

You can check out Hendriks video review of the Hornet 32 on Vimeo:

Same pack, just the smaller version.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Osprey has a great warranty too.
    this is true......any pack.....from any era.....for most any reason, and they will fix it.....i know ULA takes of his customers too, not to slight him

boot

Images

The Hornet has no dedicated suspension. It is essentially frameless.

Images

I have been looking at this also. Yes it is a frameless pack. Apparently 10 were sent out to BPL members for testing. Based on that, I would think that Osprey was targeting the UL market rather than climbers. The M/L weighs 1 lb 7 oz--pretty light.

It is also under 3000 ci, which to me is small. Looks like the recomended max weight is 20-30 lbs, but I read a review where someone said it was uncomfortable over 20 lbs. In the pack's defense (not having worked one yet), the reviewer admitted that the pack was a little small for him, which would cause the shoulder straps to dig in as he described.

I will keep my eye on this as I keep looking for my pack, but I am not really thinking about a frameless pack, so this will remain on the fringe of my radar.

For what it's worth, I own 2 other Osprey packs and love them, so I want to like this pack....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Judging by my Jam2 and ULA Conduit, those packs were about 4 years ahead of their time compared to the Hornet.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Most frameless packs are decidedly uncomfortable over 20lbs in comparison to most comparable internal frame packs. The only frameless pack that I have ever tried that surprised me at comfort in the high 20's was the Rivendell Jensen.

Joe - yes, but you can't get ULA in red......; )

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I have been looking at this also. Yes it is a frameless pack. Apparently 10 were sent out to BPL members for testing. Based on that, I would think that Osprey was targeting the UL market rather than climbers. The M/L weighs 1 lb 7 oz--pretty light. .
    Osprey makes nice packs, we've owned several. Love my Kestrel 32. But the ULA Ohm weighs about the same as the Hornet and has a frame and is comfortable to around 30 pounds on my back.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Osprey makes nice packs, we've owned several. Love my Kestrel 32. But the ULA Ohm weighs about the same as the Hornet and has a frame and is comfortable to around 30 pounds on my back.
    The Hornet 46 actually has vertical delrin side rods that help support the load and act as a pseudo frame making it carry comfortably to 30 lbs as well. The size comparison is not exactly equivalent either as the Hornet 46 volume is measured using just the main compartment (2760 cubic inches) making it larger than the Ohm's 2100 cubic inch main compartment. Osprey does not include the top pocket, mesh front pocket, hipbelt pockets or side pockets in the volume measurements.

Not saying the ULA isn't a sweet pack, just clearing up the facts on a comparison.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbfox View Post
    The Hornet 46 actually has vertical delrin side rods that help support the load and act as a pseudo frame making it carry comfortably to 30 lbs as well. The size comparison is not exactly equivalent either as the Hornet 46 volume is measured using just the main compartment (2760 cubic inches) making it larger than the Ohm's 2100 cubic inch main compartment. Osprey does not include the top pocket, mesh front pocket, hipbelt pockets or side pockets in the volume measurements.

Not saying the ULA isn't a sweet pack, just clearing up the facts on a comparison.
    Thanks Jeff.

I see you are in Dolores, if you work for Osprey, it's probably good to say so. We'd be glad for your expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Thanks Jeff.

I see you are in Dolores, if you work for Osprey, it's probably good to say so. We'd be glad for your expertise.
    Thanks for the welcome! I do work for Osprey packs and would be happy to clear up any questions that may arise on the WhiteBlaze forums

Thanks for the welcome! I do work for Osprey packs and would be happy to clear up any questions that may arise on the WhiteBlaze forums
    is this just for the hornet? i emailed osprey a couple of weeks ago with the specific question about volume measurement for the atmos 50 and the reply i got was that the main body and the lid were used to get their volume measurements

boot

Images

The Hornet 46 actually has vertical delrin side rods that help support the load and act as a pseudo frame making it carry comfortably to 30 lbs as well.
    Sweet, thanks. None of the early reviews I've seen mentioned the delrin rods. Appreciate the info.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    [/B]

is this just for the hornet? i emailed osprey a couple of weeks ago with the specific question about volume measurement for the atmos 50 and the reply i got was that the main body and the lid were used to get their volume measurements

boot
    I stand corrected. The main body and the lid are used in the volume measurements. Any external pockets such as front pockets side pockets or hipbelt pockets are not included. Apologies for any confusion (I generally work with the bike packs where top pockets are not even a consideration)

Images

That's strange. The packs that were sent as prototypes to some members of BPL.com were frameless.

Hike smarter, not harder.

When are you going to put a functional, swappable hip belt on the Exos?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++