WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone

OK, so the Caldera Cone is an efficient alcohol stove system. But why is the Caldera Cone so efficient?

In today's blog post, I take a quick look at The "Magic" of the Caldera Cone

HJ

P.S. This is the last installment in my series on the Caldera Cone. I promise that I will move on to other topics although I may review some other Trail Designs equipment at some future point.

In case you missed any of the series:

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Those are some interesting reviews on the Caldera cone.

I like using a caldera cone for my small titanium pots and mugs. And the cone for my backpackinglight 550ml pot was durable enough to last for my PCT thru-hike with a little help from a screw driver to reform the folded sleeve once. But for the larger then 900ml pots, the cone starts to get pretty large and thus heavier. I think any fuel weight savings + the cone weight doesn't compare well with a more traditional wind screen setup after a certain pot sized is reached. Though the more contained flame is still an advantage in windy areas; especially when there is a fire risk (more of a problem out west then an AT or east coast issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Those are some interesting reviews on the Caldera cone.
    Thanks. I didn't exactly set out to write a series, but I like to tinker with things, and the Caldera Cones make good baseline comparison stoves. I wound up writing a lot about them (as well as various DIY and other alcohol stoves).

I like using a caldera cone for my small titanium pots and mugs. And the cone for my backpackinglight 550ml pot was durable enough to last for my PCT thru-hike with a little help from a screw driver to reform the folded sleeve once.
    The newer Caldera Cones now come with titanium reinforcing on the dovetail joint. Sounds like a good idea to me.

But for the larger then 900ml pots, the cone starts to get pretty large and thus heavier. I think any fuel weight savings + the cone weight doesn't compare well with a more traditional wind screen setup after a certain pot sized is reached.
    Hmm. Now that's an interesting thought. Why would that be?

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

++ New Posts ++