WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Foothills Trail (SC)

Planning on hiking the entire trail starting either Jan. 1st/2nd. First time I hiked it I went from Table Rock to Oconee so I'll probably reverse it this time. Planning on 5-6 days. No shuttle lined up but just sent a few emails out tonight.

Alan

Awesome have a blast! I went from Oconee to Table Rock in 5 days in 2010. Going solo? I had a hiking partner and we parked one car at one end and the other car at the other end so that we hiked from one car to the other car. OR seeing as you are from SC, do you have a friend that could drop you off and then come back and pick you up when you are done?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Root_Down View Post
    Planning on hiking the entire trail starting either Jan. 1st/2nd. First time I hiked it I went from Table Rock to Oconee so I'll probably reverse it this time. Planning on 5-6 days. No shuttle lined up but just sent a few emails out tonight.

Alan
    You'll have a lot of fun - the trail goes really fast -- most people can do at least 50% more miles per day than on most parts of the AT - I did half of it in 2.5 days last year and the people I was with finished in 4 1/2 days.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    You'll have a lot of fun - the trail goes really fast -- most people can do at least 50% more miles per day than on most parts of the AT - I did half of it in 2.5 days last year and the people I was with finished in 4 1/2 days.
    My record for this one is 3 full days and finishing at 8:30 AM on the 4th day but we could have finished on the 3rd day had we wanted.

Great trail, love it.

Images

Had to split our hike of the FHT in two, due to the July heat and running short on time. Finished in September. Here are the photos--
    July on Foothills Trail
    September on Foothills Trail

A GREAT trail, in my home state. I plan to go back in the next few months to do the 20-mile Caesar's Head spur.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Had to split our hike of the FHT in two, due to the July heat and running short on time. Finished in September. Here are the photos--
    July on Foothills Trail
    September on Foothills Trail

A GREAT trail, in my home state. I plan to go back in the next few months to do the 20-mile Caesar's Head spur.

RainMan

What would be cool would be to take the Caesar's Head Spur to the FHT, to the Bartram Trail to the AT and south on the AT back to Springer....

Or you could go north on the AT at the Bartram Trail terminus and take the BMT back to Springer....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by corialice81 View Post
    Awesome have a blast! I went from Oconee to Table Rock in 5 days in 2010. Going solo? I had a hiking partner and we parked one car at one end and the other car at the other end so that we hiked from one car to the other car. OR seeing as you are from SC, do you have a friend that could drop you off and then come back and pick you up when you are done?
    Thanks, its looks like ill be going solo..unless I have someone join me last minute. It looks like I've also got a shuttle lined up through the Foothills Trail Conservancy Website. I was really surprised how many quick responses I had to my emails. They also really take care of the trail. I was really impressed with how well the trail was maintained when my friend and I hiked from Sassafrass Mt to Oconee a few years back.

How rigid is your time frame? I have to be home on the 3rd but could be at the trail head on the 29th. Don't know if I could hang with 15 mile days though. I would sure try though!

Images

I've done it twice, the latest being this past first week in November. Finished in 6 but could have easily finished in 5 if we'd wanted to. Shortened our daily mileage considerably the last three days to just enjoy ourselves. I'd recommend 5-6 days to enjoy the beauty of what the trail has to offer. There was a lot of blow down that needs clearing in the "Big Middle."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaweidler View Post
    How rigid is your time frame? I have to be home on the 3rd but could be at the trail head on the 29th. Don't know if I could hang with 15 mile days though. I would sure try though!
    I would enjoy the company but unfortunately I can't get started any earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    What would be cool would be to take the Caesar's Head Spur to the FHT, to the Bartram Trail to the AT and south on the AT back to Springer....

Or you could go north on the AT at the Bartram Trail terminus and take the BMT back to Springer....
    Peregrine, 2011 GA ME did something similar to this in his thru hike this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Peregrine, 2011 GA ME did something similar to this in his thru hike this year.
    If I were to ever thru hike I would definitely take the BMT from Springer to Davenport Gap - it's a way better hike - but then it wouldn't be a real thru hike ...

++ New Posts ++