WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is it really that difficult?

I have a few friends who have done a section between Wilburn Ridge and Thomas Knob shelter, they call the "Stairmaster". One friend tells me she would never do that section again with a full pack and the other friend tells me she was traumatized by it. I don't know what this section is actually called and I have not found any pictures that look anywhere near as difficult as they say. Could it be they were on a side trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Renee' View Post
    I have a few friends who have done a section between Wilburn Ridge and Thomas Knob shelter, they call the "Stairmaster". One friend tells me she would never do that section again with a full pack and the other friend tells me she was traumatized by it. I don't know what this section is actually called and I have not found any pictures that look anywhere near as difficult as they say. Could it be they were on a side trail?
    uhhhh is this a joke? it's damn near flat in that section

sounds like those ladies must never get out they should stay away from new england then.

If you're a non-hiker or Florida Trail hiker, then yes it can be called the Stairmaster. But there's really nothing difficult about that area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Renee' View Post
    Could it be they were on a side trail?
    That must be it. My wife is no big-time backpacker, but had no problem with the Grayson Highlands.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

the only person I ever remember to have had a really bad time hiking there had been misdirected and took the Wilburn Ridge Tr. southbound the full length (ie the hard way) with an overstuffed pack (newby)

Images

A good stair-master climb is Amicalola with a full pack, or Albert mtn. Both worth it.

Courtesy of mikethebike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last time I was in that area I saw people walking the trail in flip flops...It's not a bad section at all. They're nuts...or not hikers...which i guess makes them nuts.

I've heard people complain about it too. I teach and sponsor an Appalachian Outdoors Club at my school and tried taking some students up there for a field trip, but was told by other teachers and admin I couldn't because they had been up there and the trails were too hard for the kids.

I have hiked that section several times with scout groups as young as 12 and with my own kids when they were as young as 10. No problems at all. A very pretty hike any time of year.

Images

nothing difficult about thta section they must be out of shape

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

From the elevation profile it looks like an 1,100' climb over 3.5 miles, for an average of only 314 feet per mile. That is much easier than most sections of the AT. For comparison, on my next section hike I get to start out with a 1,500-foot, one mile climb with full supplies and no trail legs.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

MidTenn Trekker

I hiked this section in June 2010 with our Boy Scout Troop (ages 11-17). We had full packs and all did well. On a cold, windy day (gusts to 40 mph). We took our time and had no injuries. The boys enjoyed the adventure. It was not too difficult.

Images

I went through that area on a weekend and practically ran to get away from all of the tourists. So, I don't remember it being particularly tough.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Journal Entries

The label "Wllburn Ridge" on the "Attached Thumb Nail" posted by Shy is located in a very strange place, at least if that elevation profile claims to cover a section of the AT. For hikers who stay on the real world AT, the crest of Wilburn Ridge actually lies between Thomas Knob Shelter and Wise Shelter, rather than being located between Wise Shelter and Pine Mountain. Perhaps that "Attached Thumb Nail" elevation profile is for a blue blazing non-AT route that includes parts of the Crest Trail and/or the Pine Mountain Trail.

There are many blue blazed trails that intersect and parallel the AT in the Grayson Highlands. I suspect that the original poster's friends mistake such a trail for the AT and also consider that "other trail" to be their personal "Stairmaster". Hiking up to the top Wilburn Ridge from the State Park, there are, towards the end, two alternative routes. The easier, more gradually graded one is the AT. The parallel path, which I believe is called the "Wilburn Ridge Trail", goes up that height more directly and has more spots that require demanding rock hopping.

Images

My wife hiked from apple orchard to wilburn ridge with a pack and while 8 months pregnant, the next day we hiked to elk garden and on and on...but she's not like most people.
    See ya when I get there.

++ New Posts ++