WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My toes need help!

On a recent practice trip I found that downhills were mashing my toes and I ended up with some bruises. Before I invest in inserts or orthotics, does anyone have some advice? Other than the sliding the boots seemed to work out well.
    Thanks in advance for you help. And best wishes on your hikes.

All you need is more room in the toe box. Get a pair of shoes a half size bigger, that should help a ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by loraleek View Post
    On a recent practice trip I found that downhills were mashing my toes and I ended up with some bruises. Before I invest in inserts or orthotics, does anyone have some advice? Other than the sliding the boots seemed to work out well.
    Thanks in advance for you help. And best wishes on your hikes.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Like Karl said, it sounds like the boots don't fit. You might try some alternative lacings to keep your foot from sliding forward, or at least tighten the laces before a downhill.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

If your feet are sliding inside your boots then they are too big. You can try tightening the laces or adding an extra pair of socks. You do need to be able to wiggle your toes but sliding is bad. Best of luck to you as well!

I can only speak personally about what you would need to do if you have low volume, flat feet like I have. Use inserts (orthotic or otherwise) to take up the extra space. Eastern Mountain Sports has high density thin blanks which can be trimmed to fit under your orthotics, liners, whatever you call them. Don't get special OTC orthotics if you don't have some type of foot pain - I believe that supporting an arch that doesn't need it makes the ligaments in the feet weak. Chronic plantar facia pain, as I have, should be addressed by a professional, imo.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Another thing that would help is pay attention to how you walk downhill. Try "sitting" back into the heels of your feet more to take the pressure off the toes. Loosening your compression straps (the ones at the top by your neck) will allow your pack to pull backwards slightly and will help you maintain your balance. Works for me.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

For long downhill sections I tighten the laces on my shoes, then loosen them a little on the uphills.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

In addition to the other advice, be sure to trim your toenails before the hike.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Images

I agree with karl, I went through 4 pairs of shoes that were too small. My shoe person told me your toes can touch the shoe when going downhill, but shouldn't mash. Also, don't forget your feet swell while hiking, which was a major problem for me. I needed a full size bigger than my normal shoes to be comfortable while hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

For me it is all about the boots and socks. If i were to wear sneakers or anything but an ankle high boot I have the same problem. Another point is how long has it been since you've done big downhills. I took a couple years off once and on return the feet just got chewed up. I suppose from the skin just being out of shape.

It may be annoying, but putting your feet in your shoes and then specifically tightening the laces nearest the toe box usually does the trick.

This may be a stupid question but does anyone ever use two seperate laces on each shoe so that you could tighten/loosen the top/bottom as you wish? And yes....I have heard that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

++ New Posts ++